Daily GK Update: 29th August 2020
“Union Minister launches “Chunauti” Next Generation Start-up Challenge”
- The Union Information Technology Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad launched “Chunauti”- Next Generation Startup Challenge Contest on August 28, 2020 to boost startups and software products with special focus on Tier-II towns of India.
- The programme aims to identify around 300 startups working in identified areas and provide them seed fund of upto Rs. 25 Lakh and other facilities.
- The government has earmarked an amount worth Rs 95.03 crore over a period of 3 years for the programme.
- The 300 startups selected through the Chunauti contest will then be provided various support from the Government through Software Technology Parks of India centers across India.
“Kerala Govt commissioned 1st Marine Ambulance ‘PRATHEEKSHA’”
- The Chief Minister of Kerala, Pinarayi Vijayancommissioned the first-ever marine ambulance named ‘PRATHEEKSHA’ at Vizhinjam village of Thiruvananthapuram district in Kerala.
- The other marine ambulances that are to be deployed are Pratyashaand
- Pratheeksha is first in the series of 3 fully equipped marine ambulance boat built by Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL), for the Department of Fisheries, Govt. of Kerala.
- They have been built at a cost of 6.08 crore,to save the lives of fishermen during accidents at sea.
- The boat has been designed by theCentral Institute of Fisheries Technology as per the specifications of Indian Registry of Shipping.
Source: Daily Hunt
“Japan’s longest-serving PM Shinzo Abe resigns”
- Shinzo Abe has smashed records as Japan’s longest-serving prime minister, championing ambitious economic reform while weathering scandals.
- But he has once again been undone by his health.
- After more than seven years in the job, Abe, 65, said he would be stepping down because of a recurrence of the ulcerative colitis that forced him from office during his first stint as premier.
- He had been due to stay on until September 2021, when his party presidency terms ends, giving him an opportunity to see out one final event in his historic tenure — the postponed Tokyo 2020 Olympics Games.
- A sprightly 52 years old when he first became prime minister in 2006, Abe was the youngest person ever to occupy the job, and was seen as a symbol of change and youth.
Source: First Post
“14th India-Singapore Defence Policy Dialogue”
- India and Singapore on Friday discussed a number of issues of bilateral defence engagements and committed to further enhance the security partnership between the two countries.
- The discussions were held via video conference at the 14th India-Singapore Defence Policy Dialogue (DPD).
- It was co-chaired by Defence Secretary Dr Ajay Kumar and Permanent Secretary (Defence), Singapore Chan Heng Kee.
- After the discussion the Implementing Arrangement on Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) between India and Singapore was also signed.
Source: Business World
“Dwayne Bravo becomes 1st bowler to scalp 500 wickets in T20 cricket”
- West Indies All-Rounder, Dwayne John Bravobecame the first bowler in cricket to scalp 500 wickets in Twenty20
- He achieved the feat in the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) 2020match between his team Trinbago Knight Riders and St Lucia Zouks.
- Bravo took the wicket of Rahkeem Cornwall (18) to register his 500th wicket.
- Dwayne Bravo achieved the feat in his 459th matchin the shortest format.
- Sri Lanka’s Lasith Malinga is the second-highest wicket-taker in T20 cricket with 389 scalps from 339 matches followed by Sunil Narine (383), Imran Tahir (374), and Sohail Tanvir (356).
“Sri Lankan cricketer Tharanga Paranavitana retires”
- Sri Lankan batsman Tharanga Paranavitana has bid adieu to international cricket, thus bringing an end to his career with the national team which began in 2009.
- The Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) issued an official statement, saying that the 38-year-old batsman has conveyed his decision to the board.
- Paranavitana made his debut for Sri Lanka against Pakistan at National Stadium in February 21 in 2009.
- He appeared in a total of 32 matches for the national side in the longest format of the game, amassing 1,793 runs at an average of 41.94.
- The Sri Lankan all-rounder made his last international appearance against New Zealand in Colombo in November 2012.
Source: Zee News
“National Sports Day: 29th August”
- National Sports Day is celebrated on 29 August to commemorate the birthday of Indian hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand.
- Sports are considered very important for the physical and mental development of humans.
- The person who plays any sport remains always healthy.
- There are many sporting legends have been in India like; PT Usha, who is known as Udanpari, Sachin Tendulkar, known as Master Blaster, and Major Dhyan Chand, known as ‘Hockey Wizards’.
Source: Jagaran Josh
“‘Black Panther’ star Chadwick Boseman passes away”
- Chadwick Boseman, the regal actor who embodied a long-held dream of African-American moviegoers as the star of the groundbreaking superhero film “Black Panther,” died at his home in Los Angeles.
- He was 43.
- His publicist confirmed the death, saying Mr. Boseman’s wife, Taylor Simone Ledward, and family were by his side at the time.
- A private figure by Hollywood standards, Mr. Boseman rarely publicized details about his personal life.
Source: The New York Times
“Former Supreme Court Judge Justice A.R. Lakshmanan passes away”
- Former judge of the Supreme Court Justice AR Lakshmanan passed away at a private hospital in Tiruchy.
- He was 78.
- Doctors who were treating him for age-related ailments said that a sudden cardiac arrest caused his death.
- Justice Lakshmanan is survived by two sons ARL Arunachalam and ARL Sundaresan and two daughters Umayal and Saravanavalli.
- Justice Lakshmanan served at the Supreme Court from December 20, 2002 to March 21, 2007.
Source: The New Indian Express
“51st IFFI to be held in Goa from Nov 20”
- Fifty first International Film Festival of India IFFI will be held in Goa, from November 20th to 28th.
- This film festival being a hybrid film festival due to Covid 19, would screen films on official digital platform along with the theatrical screenings.
- Vice-chairman of the Entertainment Society of Goa, Subhash Faldesai informed that in a virtual meeting held last week, the IFFI steering committee decided to hold the festival in compliance with the Central government’s SOP.
- In the meanwhile, the invitations for the screening of international films for the fifty first edition of IFFI are already open.
Source: News On Air