Daily GK Update: 28th July 2020
“Consumer Affairs Ministry launches ‘BIS-Care’ app & portal”
- Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan on Monday launches a mobile app BIS-Care.
- Consumers can use it for checking the authenticity of ISI and hallmark quality certified products.
- Three other portals of BIS (www.manakonline.in) on standardisation, conformity assessment and training were launched.
- The mobile app, in Hindi and English, can be operated on any Android phone and can be downloaded free from Google Play store.
Source: Outlook India
“World Hepatitis Day observed on 28th July 2020”
- World Hepatitis Day is recognized annually on July 28th, the birthday of Nobel Prize Winner Dr. Baruch Blumberg(1925-2011).
- Blumberg discovered the hepatitis B virus in 1967, and 2 years later he developed the first hepatitis B vaccine.
- This Day is observed to spread awarenwss of viral hepatitis related disease.
- This year’s theme is “Hepatitis-free future” with a strong focus on preventing hepatitis B among mothers and newborns.
- 5 main groups of hepatitis are- A, B, C, D and E.
“Govt issues GI certification for Kashmir Valley’s Saffron”
- In a momentous decision, the Central Government on Saturday issued certification of geographical indication (GI) for saffron grown in Kashmir Valley.
- It have been put on the world map with authentication.
- The GI Certification will stop prevalent adulteration of Kashmir saffron and authenticated saffron will fetch much better prices.
- Kashmir saffron is the only saffron in the world that is grown at an altitude of 1600 meters.
Source: The Indian Express
“FM reviewed SWAMIH to boost investment in Real Estate Sector”
- Union Minister for Finance and Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman held a meeting to review the performance of the Special Window for Affordable and Mid-Income Housing (SWAMIH).
- The secretaries of the ministries of Finance and senior management team of the SBI, SBI capital market limited and SBICAPS ventures limited (SVL) were present in the meeting.
- The fund has so far approved 81 projects that will enable the completion of almost 60,000 homes across India with an investment of Rs.8767 crore.
- Fund is managed by SBICAPS venture and sponsored by DEA, Finance Ministry.
“Ministry of Earth Sciences rolls out ‘Mausam’ Mobile App”
- The Ministry of Earth Sciences India has launched a new mobile application named “Maisam” for the Indian Meterological Department.
- It will help uses to track weather updates and also bring in the enhanced forecast as well as warning services from the government.
- The app was launched on IMD’s Foundation Day Celebrations.
- This app is available on Android and iOS platforms.
“Vice Admiral MA Hampiholi took charge as commandant of INA”
- Vice Admiral MA Hampiholi took charge as the Commandant , Indian Naval Academy (INA).
- He succeeded Vice Admiral Dinesh K. Tripathi who completed a tenure of over 13 months.
- Vice Admiral Tripathy was accorded a warm send-off, with the traditional “Pulling Out” ceremony.
- MA Hampiholi is an alumnus of National Defence Academy (NDA) Khadakvasala, Defence Services Staff College, Wellington and the prestigious National Defence College, New Delhi.
- The Flag Officer is a specialist in anti-submarine Warfare .
- He has commanded IN Ships Nashak (Missile Vessel), Magar (Landing Ship Tank) and Talwar (Frigate).
Source: The Hindu
“Govt launches 4 schemes for Bulk Drug & Medical Devices Parks”
- The Government on Monday released guidelines of 4 schemes for the development of bulk drug and medical device parks.
- The main objective is to make India self reliant in production of 53 critical Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API’s) or Key Starting Materials (KSM’s), and in production of medical devices.
- It has been launched in line of Atmanirbhar ABhiyan in Pharma.
- The idea is also to cement India’s position as Global drug supplier.
Source: The Hindu
“PM launches 3 high throughput COVID19 testing facilities”
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday launched three “high throughput” COVID 19 testing facilities at Kolkata, Mumbai and Noida.
- These hi-tech state -of-the-art testing facilities will boost the testing capacity by almost 10,000 daily tests in each of the three cities.
- These labs will also be able to test for Hepatitis B and C, HIV, dengue and several other diseases.
- These labs will reduce turn around time and exposure of lab personnel to infectious clinical materials.
Source: Times of India
“IIT Kharagpur develops COVID19 Rapid Test technology”
- Researchers at IIT Kharagpur have developed a new technology for low cost COVID-19 test using a portable device.
- The test results can be made available in a customised smartphone applicatopn for dissemination withing one hour.
- The device will enable testing at affordable rates among under served communities.
- This method has eliminated the need for a PCR machine.
Source: The Hindu
“World Nature Conservation Day being observed today”
- World Nature conservation day is observed annually on 28th
- It is observed to remind humankind about the importance of nature and the need to protect it.
- This year a global theme has not been decided dur to the Pandemic.
Source: First Post