Daily GK Update: 28th August 2020
“Piyush Goyal e-launches “National GIS-enabled Land Bank system””
- The Commerce and Industry Minister, Piyush Goyal on August 27, 2020 e-launched the national GIS-enabled land bank system.
- It will help investors in getting real-time information about the availability of industrial land and resources.
- The system has been developed by the Integration of Industrial Information System (IIS) with state GIS (Geographic Information System).
- The project has been launched for six states.
“Uttar Pradesh government launches NRI unified portal”
- In Uttar Pradesh, the State Government will prepare a database of the migrant workers of the state working in different countries of the world.
- It will help in providing them assistance during any emergency.
- Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath yesterday launched an ambitious NRI unified portal.
- The website – up.gov.in– will also provide a platform for NRIs keen to know about their roots or those seeking help from the UP Government related to their homes or families in the state.
- The NRI department of state will use festivals to connect with Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) in other countries.
Source: News On Air
“Dutch author Marieke Lucas Rijneveld wins International Booker Prize 2020”
- Dutch author Marieke Lucas Rijneveld on Wednesday won the 2020 International Booker prize for debut novel The Discomfort of Evening, a story of childhood grief.
- At 29, Rijneveld is the youngest author to win the prestigious prize.
- Rijneveld shares the prize of 50,000 pounds, about $66,000, with Michele Hutchison, who translated it from Dutch.
- Ted Hodgkinson, the chair of the judges, in a statement said The Discomfort of Eveningis a “tender and visceral evocation of a childhood caught between shame and salvation, and a deeply deserving winner”.
- Rijneveld’s book was a bestseller in Netherlands when it was published in 2018.
“Ms. Sudha Painuli selected for National Award to Teachers 2020”
- For the first time, a teacher of Eklavya Model Residential Schools (EMRS) established under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs has been selected for the National Award to Teachers (NAT).
- Sudha Painuli, a vice-principal of EMRS-Kalsi, Dehradun, Uttarakhand was selected for the award, according to a release by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- She made it to the list of 47 outstanding teachers selected after a three-stage rigorous online transparent process.
- Union Ministry of Education (formerly Ministry of Human Resource Development), Department of School Education & Literacy constituted an independent jury at the national level to bestow the NAT 2020.
Source: Business World
“Kevin Mayer resigns as CEO of TikTok”
- Kevin Mayer, the chief executive of TikTok, announced that he is resigning, just over 100 days after the former Disney executive joinedthe world’s largest short-video app in mid-May.
- The news came on the heels of TikTok’s move to sue the U.S. governmentover its forthcoming ban.
- The app, owned by Chinese internet upstart ByteDance, is caught in tensions between Beijing and Washington, which accuses the app of posing a national security threat to the U.S.
- TikTok had racked up over 100 million monthly active users in the U.S. alone, according to a recentcourt filing.
- On August 6, President Donald Trump signedan executive order to shut down TikTok if ByteDance doesn’t sell the app’s U.S. operations.
Source: Tech Crunch
“India plans to host BRICS Games in 2021”
- Indiais planning to host BRICS Games 2021, which will be aligned with the Khelo India Games scheduled for next year.
- This announcement came after Sports Minister Kiren Rijijuattended a meeting of Sports Ministers of the BRICS nations (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa).
- India will get the chairmanship of the five-nation independent international group in 2021.
- BRICS Games 2021 will be held during the same time and at the same venues as of Khelo India Games 2021 so that our players from various parts of the country who will gather for Khelo India Games will have the benefit of witnessing BRICS Games from close quarters.
Source: Daily Hunt
“Bryan brothers announces retirement from the sport”
- American twins Bob and Mike Bryan have announced retirement from tennis, thus ending their historic doubles partnership just days ahead of the US Open, scene of their major championship debut in 1995.
- As the most accomplished team in doubles history, the Bryan brothers captured a record 119 trophies, including all four Grand Slams, all nine ATP Masters and Olympic gold medals, reports Xinhua news agency.
- The Bryans, who collected 16 Grand Slam championships together, already said last year that they would end their career in 2020.
Source: DT Next
“17th meeting of India-Vietnam Joint Commission held virtually”
- The 17th meetingof the India-Vietnam Joint Commission on Trade, Economic, Scientific and Technological Cooperation was held virtually.
- The virtual meeting was co-chairedby External Affairs Minister Dr. Jaishankar and his Vietnamese counterpart Pham Binh Minh.
- The 17th meeting included the deliberations on the recent developments in India-Vietnam Comprehensive Strategic Partnership.
- During the meeting, both countries approved to add new momentum to the economic and defence engagement.
- They also agreed to explore closer cooperation in emerging areas like civil nuclear energy, space, marine sciences and new technologies.
Source: Daily Hunt
“Army Chief releases book on National Security”
- Army Chief General MM Naravane released a book titled “National Security Challenges: Young Scholars’ Perspective” penned by university students.
- The book published by the Army think-tank Centre for Land Warfare Studies (CLAWS) was released on August 17.
- The authors all university students ranging from the undergraduate level to doctoral candidates have written on varied themes concerning national security.
- The book is a tribute to Field Marshal Manekshaw, the great grand strategist of 1971 Indo-Pakistan War that resulted in the liberation of Bangladesh.
- To boost the morale of the students and the young authors, the book carries messages from Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, National Security Advisor, Ajit Doval, KC and COAS General MM Naravane.
“Computer Pioneer Arnold Spielberg passes away”
- Arnold Meyer Spielberg,a pioneered computer designer & an innovative engineer passed away at the age of 103.
- Spielberg and Charles Propster designed the GE-225 mainframe computerin the late 1950s while working for General Electric.
- The machine allowed computer scientists at Dartmouth College to develop the programming language BASIC,which would be essential to the rise of personal computers in the 1970s and ’80s.
- Spielbergwas born in Cincinnati, Ohio, on February 6, 1917.
Source: Daily Hunt