Daily GK Update: 27th July 2020
“Haryana to host 2021 Khelo India Youth Games.”
- Haryana will host the fourth edition of the Khelo India Youth Games as announced by Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju andHaryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar via video conference.
- The 4th edition is scheduled to take place after 2021 Tokyo Olympics.
- The games will be held in Panchkula, Haryana as it equipped with the best sporting infrastructure to host a multi-sport event like Khelo India Youth Games. There is enough lodging for larger number of participents who are expected to attend.
- Haryana has done well in all three editions of KIYG as they came second in both 2019 and 2020 editions and won it in 2018 with 102 medals.
Source: Times of India
“Naveen Tahilyani appointed as Tata AIA Life Insurance’s MD & CEO.”
- Naveen Tahilyani has been appointed Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Managing Director (MD) of Tata AIA Life Insurance.
- He will Take over from current CEO Rishi Srivastava, who takes over as CEO, Group Agency Distribution, AIA Group, Hong Kong
- Until 2019, Naveen Tahilyani was the CEO, Group Partnership Distribution at AIA Hong Kong.
- He was the CEO and MD of Tata AIA from 2015 to 2018.
- An alumnus of IIT Madras, Tahilyani was a career consultant with McKinsey for 17 years where he advised private and foreign banks before joining Tata AIA.
Source: Times of India
“World’s 1st electrified container tunnel to be constructed in Haryana.”
- The Indian Railway is constructing the world’s first electrified double-stack container tunnel near Haryana’s Sohna.
- A double-stack container goods train will be able to run at a speed of more than 100 km from within this tunnel.
- Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India Limited is its Implementing Agency.
- In the first phase , two corridors are being built on the Eastern Corridor and the Western Corridor.
Source: Zee News
“HRD ministry forms ‘Stay in India and Study in India’ committee.”
- The HRD Ministry has set up a committee to form guidelines and suggest measures to ensure that more students study in India.
- This committee is headed by D.P. Singh, chairman of the University Grants Commission(UGC).
- It is a part of Government plan to retain aspiring students, who wants to study abroad by providing appropriate opportunities for education in premier Indian institutions and addressing concerns of students returning from abroad due to COVID.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Delhi Govt launches ‘Rozgar Bazar’ for job seekers and recruiters.”
- CM Arvind Kejriwal launched a portal ‘Rozgar Bazar’, a sort of marketplace for job seekers and the people recruiters.
- CM announced that the recruiters can go to the website and update their requirement.
- Job seekers can also go there and update their qualification, experience and requirement.
- This portal is an effort to revive Delhi’s economy after lockdown.
Source: Live Mint
“CRPF observed its 82nd Raising Day.”
- The 82nd Raising Day of Central Reserve Police Force was observed on 27th July 2020.
- The CRPF was founded as Crown Representative’s Police on July 27,1939.
- It became Central Reserve Police Force on the enactment of the CRPF Act on 28th December 1949.
- CRPF has the mandate to secure internal security scenario and is at the forefront to keep our nation safe.
- The first battalion of the force was raised on 27th July 1939, as the Crown Representatives Police (CRP) under the British in Neemuch town of Madhya Pradesh.
“RBI signs $400 million currency swap agreement with Sri Lanka”
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has signed a currency swap agreement with the Central Bank of Sri Lanka.
- The agreement signed under the SAARC Currency Swap Framework 2019-22 would be valid till 13th November 2022.
- The Central Bank of Sri Lanka can make drawals in multiple tranches upto a maximum of USD 400 millions or its equivalent under a currency swap agreement.
- This agreement will boost foreign reserves and ensure financial stability of the country.
Source: Economic Times
“Sahil Seth appointed as the adviser to BRICS CCI committee”
- Sahil Seth, Deputy Commissioner of Mumbai Customs, has been appointed as an honorary advisor to the steering committee for the BRICS Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCI) young leaders for the period 2020-2023.
- The BRICS CCI is the parent organisation which promotes commerce and industry in the BRICS nations.
- The objective of BRICS CCI is to create an enabling support system especially for the MSME segment of businesses and young entrepreneurs from across all geographies.
- BRICS: Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa.
Source: The Hindu
“Dept of Post extends all small savings schemes to branch post office level”
- The Department of Posts has extended all small savings schemes upto the branch post office level.
- The decision aims to empower rural India by bringing all Post Office Savings Schemes to the doorsteps of the people living in rural areas.
- People will now be able to deposit their savings into these popular schemes through the post office in their village itself.
Source: DD News
“AIIMS Nagpur develops smart wristband for tracking COVID-19”
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Nagpur in collaboration with IIT Jodhpur and IIT Nagpur has indigenously designed and developed a model for effective tracking and monitoring of COVID positive and suspect patients.
- This device is in the form of a smart wristband that is designed tp overcome the limitations of any existing online mobile apps for tracking and monitoring.
- The existing apps depends on the continuous use of mobile phones by the quarantined person and the availability of stable internet connections.
Source: Hindustan Times