Daily GK Update: 27th August 2020
“Raksha Mantri launches “DGNCC Training” mobile App”
- The Directorate General National Cadet Corps (DGNCC) Mobile Training App has been launched by the Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh. The Mobile Training App will support in conducting countrywide online training of NCC cadets as it has been affected adversely due to the restrictions imposed by COVID-19.
- The DGNCC Mobile Training App seeks to offer entire training material to the NCC cadets on one platform.
- This will also led to the automation of of NCC training.
- The mobile application will also allow the cadets to post their queries related to the training syllabus and these will be answered by a panel of qualified instructors.
Source: Daily Hunt
“Ministry of Culture announces 7 new circles of ASI”
- The Ministry of Culture, India has announced 7 new circles of Archaeological Survey of India (ASI).
- Prahlad Singh Patel, Culture and Tourism Minister in a video message informed about the decision on August 26, 2020.
- The step has been taken in accordance with PM Modi’s call to facilitate and strengthen the process of registration and preservation of the archaeological monuments.
- Earlier, there were 29 ASI circles across India.
- The places where the new circles have been announced are: Raiganj, Trichy, Rajkot, Jhansi, Jabalpur, Meerut, Hampi.
- The Archaeological Survey of India’s Hampi Mini Circle in Karnataka has been converted into a fully fledged circle.
“NITI Aayog to launch NDC-TIA India Component”
- NITI Aayog will virtually launch the India Component of the Nationally Determined Contributions – NDC-Transport Initiative for Asia –TIA
- The event will inform the transport, energy, and climate stakeholders in India about planned project activities for the upcoming year.
- It will also offer the opportunity to provide input about India’s transport challenges and how they relate to CO2 reduction ambitions.
- The NDC-TIA India Component will focus on establishing a multi-stakeholder dialogue platform for decarburizing transport in India and providing technical support on Green House Gas emission reduction measures.
Source: DD News
“Women’s Equality Day 2020”
- The 100th anniversary of the Women’s Equality Day is being observed in the United States.
- The day is observed primarily in the US on August 26, to commemorate American women getting the constitutional right to vote.
- The Nineteenth Amendment to the US Constitution was adopted in 1920.
- The law prohibits denying citizens, of the United States, the right to vote on the basis of gender.
“Axis Bank introduced ‘Liberty Savings Account’ for the Indian Youth”
- Axis Bankhas introduced ‘Liberty Savings Account’ for the Indian Youth, to address the ever-changing lifestyle needs of young and digitally interested Indians.
- It offers a complimentary hospital cash insurance cover of up to Rs 20,000per year, which covers hospital expenses incurred under COVID -19, which makes this a 1st of its kind savings account to cover the pandemic.
- This account targets to meet the lifestyle requirements of the working class that falls under 35 years of age.
Source: Daily Hunt
“Vinay Tonse becomes new MD and CEO of SBI Mutual Fund”
- SBI Funds Management announced the appointment of Vinay M Tonse as its managing director and chief executive officer.
- SBI Funds Management is a joint venture between the country’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) and European asset manager Amundi.
- Tonse took over the charge as MD and CEO on Monday from Ashwani Bhatia, who now returns to parent SBI as its managing director
- Tonse joined SBI as a probationary officer in 1988 and has worked across different locations in India and abroad.
- Before joining SBI Funds Management, he was serving as the chief general manager of the Chennai circle at SBI and was heading SBI’s business and operations in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry.
Source: Live Mint
“NHAI develops a “Vendor Performance Evaluation System””
- The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) on Wednesday said it has developed a portal to track the performance of its contractors and consultants.
- The portal is available on the NHAI website under ‘Vendor Performance Evaluation System’.
- Based on performance assessment, ratings will be provided to them.
- The portal contains a provision for rating the projects according to the mode of implementation and status of completion under BOT (Toll), BOT (Annuity), HAM, EPC works and for Authority’s Engineer, Independent Engineer and DPR Consultants.
- The vendor will also be given an opportunity to appeal against the generated rating
Source: Deccan Herald
“ISRO signs MoU with VSSUT to set up Incubation Centre”
- Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology (VSSUT), Odisha, on August 25 signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- Under this agreement a Space innovation centre will be established in the university.
- With this, VSSUT Odisha has become the first university in the country to pen down a MoU with the Indian space agency
- K Sivan, Chairman of ISRO, and Sanjay Kumar Singh, Secretary of the Skill Development and Technical Education Department, Government of Odisha, and VSSUT vice-chancellor Atal Chaudhuri attended the virtual event.
- Mr Singh thanked ISRO for supporting the initiative and said that it will be helpful to boost the talent of young scientists.
“NITI Aayog releases report on Export Preparedness Index (EPI) 2020”
- NITI Aayog today released the Export Preparedness Index (EPI) 2020.
- EPI intends to identify challenges and opportunities; enhance the effectiveness of government policies and encourage a facilitative regulatory framework.
- The structure of the EPI includes four pillars which are Policy, Business Ecosystem, Export Ecosystem and Export Performance.
- It also includes 11 sub-pillars like Export Promotion Policy, Institutional Framework, Business Environment, Infrastructure and Transport Connectivity.
- This edition of EPI has shown that most Indian states performed well on average across the sub-pillars of Exports Diversification, Transport Connectivity and Infrastructure.
Source: News On Air
“James Anderson becomes 1st fast bowler to take 600 Test wickets”
- England’s James Anderson became the first fast bowler to take 600 Test wickets when he dismissed Pakistan’s captain Azhar Ali on the fifth day of the third and final Test between the two teams at The Ageas Bowl, Southampton.
- Anderson had taken a five-wicket haul in Pakistan’s first innings, and he returned in their second innings to pick Abid Ali and Azhar after the visitors were made to follow on.
- Only Muttiah Muralitharan, Shane Warne and Anil Kumble had previously broken the 600-wicket barrier in the longest format of the game, making Anderson just the fourth player with 600 or more Test scalps.