Daily GK Update: 26th February 2020
Indian National Centre for Ocean Information launched new Alert System
- ESSO-Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS) under Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) provides ocean information services for the benefit of various user communities in the country.
- The services are more fruitfully utilized when the advisories reaches the end user in timely manner and in user readable format. Now-a-days ICT facilities in the country are accessible to large population of the country and that plays a major role in effective dissemination of information to the end user.
- ESSO-INCOIS has adopted the state-of-the-art technologies and tools available in the country for the timely dissemination of Ocean Information and Advisory Services that includes Potential Fishing Zone (PFZ) advisories, Ocean State Forecast (OSF), High Wave Alerts and Tsunami early warnings.
Source: Press Information Bureau
India-UK joint IAF & RAF Exercise Indradhanush 2020 begins at Air Force Stn Hindan
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) and Royal Air Force (RAF) of the UK jointly commenced the 5th edition of Exercise Indradhanush at Air Force Station Hindan on 24 February. The focus of this edition of the exercise is ‘Base Defence and Force Protection’.
- The Ministry of Defence (MoD) stated in a Press communication that this theme is of significance considering the recent threats to military establishments from terror elements. Exercise Indradhanush provides a platform for the IAF and RAF to share and jointly validate strategies and tactics to counter terror threats to their installations.
Source: Indus Dictum
Desert Locust Control High Level Meeting held
- On February 25, 2020, the Agriculture Ministry held a high-level meeting on Desert Locust Control.
- The meeting was chaired by Secretary of Ministry of Agriculture and Farmer Welfare.
- The report submitted by National Disaster Response Force was discussed at the meet.
Source: The World News Monitor
DPIIT notifies 100% FDI in insurance intermediaries
- The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) on February 25 notified the government’s decision to allow 100 per cent foreign direct investment (FDI) in insurance intermediaries.
- Intermediary services include insurance brokers, reinsurance brokers, insurance consultants, corporate agents, third party administrators, surveyors and loss assessors.
- The FDI policy earlier allowed 49 per cent foreign investment in the insurance sector, which includes insurance intermediaries.
Source: Money Control
Gisat-1: On March 5, ISRO to launch new-age satellite that can scan India every 30 minutes
- The Indian Space Research Organisation on Tuesday said it is scheduled to launch its geo imaging satellite ‘GISAT-1’ onboard the geosynchronous satellite launch vehicle ‘GSLV-F10’ on March 5.
- The cameras are capable of scanning the entire country every 30 minutes at a spatial resolution of 50 metres. The launch is tentatively scheduled at 5:43 pm on March 5, subject to weather conditions, from the second launchpad of Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota.
- Weighing about 2,275 kg, GISAT-1 is a state-of-the-art agile earth observation satellite which would be placed in a geosynchronous transfer orbit by GSLV-F10, ISRO said. It said that subsequently, the satellite would reach the final geostationary orbit using its onboard propulsion system.
Source: One India
Namaste Healthcare: Trump and Modi Sign MoU on Mental Health
- A part of the Namaste Trump tour, PM Modi and US President Trump make healthcare a focus.
- On Tuesday, 25 February, Trump and Modi signed MoUs on mental health and on the safety of medical products, according to reports. This is likely to increase cooperation and strengthen capacities focussed on mental and emotional well-being and the quality of generic medicines.
Source: Fit The Quint
Economic Survey: ‘Counter-cyclical fiscal policy’ to boost demand justified
- The Economic Survey for 2019-20, presented to Parliament on Friday, laid out an agenda for wealth creation in India and sought to ground pro-wealth and pro-business economic policies in India’s economic experience and philosophical traditions.
- In the Survey’s preface, Chief Economic Advisor K V Subramanian revealed the Survey’s motivation: Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s speech on Independence Day 2019, which highlighted the contributions of wealth creators and that “only when wealth is created will wealth be distributed”. Subramanian argues that liberalisation is a return to India’s “roots” as a market economy, and thus advocates various wealth-boosting reforms in the Survey.
Source: Business Standard
Hosni Mubarak dies at 91. His autocratic rule of Egypt ended with a citizens’ revolt.
- Hosni Mubarak, the autocratic ruler of Egypt whose nearly 30 years in power came to an abrupt, bloody climax in 2011 after a popular revolt swept across the Arab world, died Feb. 25 at 91.
- State media reported the death but did not provide further details.
- Mr. Mubarak lived to see the demise of the revolution that overthrew him. It was at best grim satisfaction for a president who rose to power in 1981 after the assassination of President Anwar Sadat and had kept a tight grip on his country through decades of repression, corruption and cronyism, only to be deposed by the military after massive street protests during the Arab Spring uprisings.
Source: The Washington Post
Govt. of India launches Energy Efficient Buildings Programme EESL to invest Rs 1,000 crore by 2020 under buildings programme
- Shri Piyush Goyal, Minister of State (I/C) for Power, New & Renewable Energy, Coal and Mines, Govt. of India launched the Energy Efficient Buildings programme in a function jointly organized by FICCI and EESL.
- The scheme will be implemented by Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), a JV under the administration of Ministry of Power, Government of India. EESL also signed a MoU with PWD Maharashtra to retrofit 1500 buildings under PWD in Maharashtra with energy efficient appliances.
Source: Business Standard