Daily GK Update: 26th August 2020
“World Health Organization certifies Africa free from wild Polio”
- In a historic public health achievement, the 47 nations of the World Health Organization’s Africa region were certified to be free of wild poliovirus
- The declaration comes four years after the continent reported its last case of wild poliovirus, in Nigeria, and 24 years after it launched an ambitious eradication campaign.
- But the region’s fight against polio isn’t over — vaccine-derived polio still poses a threat.
- The Kick Polio Out of Africa Campaign launched in 1996.
- Now the continent has not reported a case of wild polio since August 2016, and the Independent Africa Regional Certification Commission says the World Health Organization’s Africa region is free of wild polio.
“Kerala’s 1st-ever Dragonfly Festival”
- WWF-India Kerala State Office is joining hands with the Society for Odonate Studies (SOS) and Thumbipuranam for the first-ever state Dragonfly Festival in Kerala, christened ‘Thumbi Maholsavam 2020’.
- This is part of the National Dragonfly Festival organised by WWF India, Bombay Natural History Society and Indian Dragonfly Society in association with National Biodiversity Board, UN Environmental Programme, UN Development Programme and IUCN-CEC.
- As part of the Dragonfly Festival, a series of events will be rolled out in the coming months to reach out to various sections of the society.
- Initially, a training session will be organised to get more people trained on dragonflies.
Source: The New Indian Express
“ICICI Bank uses satellite data to assess creditworthiness of farmers”
- Private lender ICICI Bank announced the usage of satellite data—imagery from Earth observation satellites—to assess credit worthiness of farmers.
- The bank is the first in India to do so and among few globally to use satellite data to measure an array of parameters related to the land, irrigation and crop patterns and use it in combination with demographic and financial parameters to make expeditious lending decisions for farmers.
- The bank has been using satellite data for the past few months in over 500 villages in Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat and plans to scale up the initiative to over 63,000 villages shortly across the country.
- This initiative gains significance at a time when people are advised to stay indoors and avoid travel in the wake of the corona virus pandemic.
Source: Live Mint
“SBI General Insurance launches “Shagun – Gift an insurance” policy”
- SBIGeneral Insurance, one of the leading general insurance companies in India, today announced the launch of first-of-its-kind offering, ‘Shagun – Gift an Insurance”, a unique gift of Personal Accident policy.
- This product was filed by SBI General under Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority’s (IRDAI) Sandbox regulations.
- The key differentiating feature of the policy is that it can be gifted to anyone you want, which means it is not necessary for the policy buyer to be related to the insured.
- Shagun covers personal accident insurance which provides complete financial protection to the insured person against uncertainties such as accidental death and partial or total disabilities, and permanent as well as temporary disabilities resulting from an accident.
Source: Financial express
“Indian Energy Exchange MD & CEO Rajiv Srivastava resigns”
- Indian Energy Exchange (IEX),Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Rajiv Srivastava has resigned from the post.
- The Board of Directors of Indian Energy Exchange(IEX) accepted his resignation.
- He was relieved from his position with immediate effect from 24th August 2020.
- Satyanarayan Goel,the current non-executive chairman of the board of IEX was given additional charges as the interim MD and CEO of the company.
Source: Daily Hunt
“Neelakantha Bhanu Prakash bags Gold Medal in MCWC”
- Neelkantha Bhanu Prakash, a student of Mathematics at Delhi’s St Stephen’s College, holds the world record for being the ‘fastest human calculator.’
- Neelkantha Bhanu Prakash, 20, from Hyderabad has won the first gold medal for India at the Mental Calculation World Championship at Mind Sports Olympiad held in London recently.
- The Mind Sport Olympiad was held virtually with 30 participants from the UK, Germany, UAE, France, Greece and Lebanon.
- The math event was first held in 1998.
“Indian Table Tennis star Poulomi Ghatak announced retirement”
- Veteran Indian table tennis player from West Bengal, Poulomi Ghatak, has announced her retirement from the game to shift focus on coaching career.
- The Kolkata-born athlete is a seven-time national champion, winning between 1998 and 2016.
- The 37-year-old had represented India at the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne in 2006 and the Commonwealth Championships between 2000 and 2008.
- She made her Olympic debut at the Olympic Games in Sydney when she was just 16.
“Tamil Nadu women top the list of MUDRA loan scheme”
- According to the data provided by Ministry of Finance to Rajya Sabha, Tamil Naduhas topped the list of Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana (PMMY) in availing loans to women.
- It was followed by West Bengaland
- According to the data produced by the Ministry of Finance, around 15 crore loans amounting to Rs 4.78 lakh crores were disbursed to women borrowers since the inception of Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana.
- Pradhan Mantri MUDRA Yojana was launched in 2015to provide loans to non-corporate, small and micro-enterprises.
- Under the scheme, loans up to Rs 10 lakhs are provided.
- The loans are given by Regional Rural Banks, Commercial banks, Small Finance Banks, Non-Banking Financial Corporations, Micro-Financial Institutions.
Source: Daily Hunt
“Former Congo President Pascal Lissouba passes away”
- Brazzaville – Former Congolese president Pascal Lissouba died in France on Monday at the age of 88, his Pan-African Union for Social Democracy (UADS) party.
- Lissouba died in Perpignan, southwestern France.
- He was president of the Republic of Congo – also called Congo-Brazzaville, to distinguish it from the neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) – from 1992 to 1997.
- He fled the country after being overthrown in a civil war by the current president, Denis Sassou Nguesso, who had lost the country’s first multi-party elections in 1992.
Source: Big News Network
“E-auction portal rolled out to promote trading of ‘Kashmir Saffron’”
- Jammu and Kashmir’s agriculture department has created an e-auction portal to promote trading of GI-tagged ‘Kashmir Saffron’.
- The Department, under the aegis of India International Kashmir Saffron Trading Centre (IIKSTC), has created the portal in collaboration with NSE-IT, with the sole motive to assure buyers to have access to quality ‘Kashmir Saffron’.
- The Saffron growers of Kashmir valley and buyers across India have been requested to register themselves as sellers and buyers for E- trading on saffroneauctionindia.com, so that hassle free e-Trading between registered growers and buyers is ensured.
Source: News On Air