Daily GK Update: 25th August 2020
“Bayern Munich won UEFA Championship League 2019-20”
- Bayern Munichovercame Paris Saint-Germain 1-0 to lift the UEFA Champions League 2019-20 trophy in Lisbon.
- Kingsley Coman scored the only goal in an entertaining affair between the league champions of Germany and France.
- Bayern lifted their sixth Champions League trophy and a first one since the 2012-13 season.
- Bayern have become the first team to keep a clean sheet against PSG since Manchester City in April 2016.
Source: News Byte
“German Golfer Sophia Popov wins Women’s British Open 2020”
- World number 304 Sophia Popov became the first female golfer from Germany to capture a major title after winning the Women’s British Open by two strokes at Royal Troon in Scotland.
- Popov, who went into the final round with a three-shot lead, bounced back from bogeying the first hole by making five birdies in her 3-under 68.
- Thailand’s Jasmine Suwannapura was the runner-up after shooting 67.
- It completed one of the most unlikely wins in the tournament’s history.
Source: News On Air
“Nabard launches credit guarantee programme for NBFC-MFIs”
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (Nabard) on Monday said it has introduced a dedicated debt and credit guarantee product to ensure unhindered flow of credit in rural areas hit by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The product- Structured Finance and Partial Guarantee Programme to NBFC-MFIs -entails providing partial guarantee on pooled loans extended to small and mid-sized micro finance institutions (MFIs).
- Nabard signed a pact with Vivriti Capital and Ujjivan Small Finance Bank earlier this month to roll out the initiative, which will enhance access to sustainable finance for microenterprises and low-income households.
- The programme is expected to cover over 1 million households across 28 states and 650 districts
Source: Live Mint
“Indian Air Force launches ‘MY IAF’ mobile application”
- Indian Air Force (IAF) Chief Marshal Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria on Monday launched a mobile application ‘MY IAF’ at IAF Headquarters (Vayu Bhawan) to provide career-related information to aspirants as a part of Digital India initiative.
- The application, developed in association with Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC), provides career-related information and details to those desirous of joining the Indian Air Force
- The user-friendly format of the app serves as a single digital platform interfacing the users with the details of the selection procedure, training curriculum, pay and perks, etc for both officers and airmen in the IAF.
“India and AIIB signs agreement for Mumbai Urban Transport Project-III”
- The Indian Government, Maharashtra government and Mumbai Railway Vikas Corporation has signed a loan agreement of USD 500 million dollars with the Asian Infrastructure Investment bank (AIIB) for Mumbai Urban Transport Project-III.
- The project aims at improving the service quality, network capacity, and safety of the suburban railway system in Mumbai. It is also expected to increase the network capacity with the reduction in fatal accidents and the journey time of commuters.
- The loan agreement between AIIB and the Indian government was signed by Sameer Kumar Khare, Additional Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance, on behalf of the Indian government.
- Among the primary beneficiaries of the Mumbai Urban Transport Project-III, 22% of the female passengers will be benefitted from improved safety and the quality of the service.
- The project will assist in the improvement of service quality, mobility, and safety of passengers of the sub-urban railway system of Mumbai.
“Motor Vehicle document validity extended till December 31, 2020”
- Central government on Monday extended the validity of expiring driving licenses and motor vehicle documents till December 31 in the wake of corona virus crisis.
- This is the third such extension after the earlier advisories on March 30 and June 9.
- Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has decided to extend the validity of Fitness, Permits, Licenses, Registration or other documents under Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989 till the 31st of December 2020.
- The Ministry had earlier issued advisories on 30th March and 9th June this year regarding extension of validity of the documents related to Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Manipur student develops mobile game ‘Coroboi’ amid COVID-19”
- The COVID-19 lockdown has been especially hard for the school going children across the country.
- However, a 13-year old boy from Manipur has shown that the lockdown period could be a perfect opportunity to unleash the creativity and explore innovative ways.
- The 9th Standard Student- Baldeep Ningthoujam has developed a mobile game named Coroboi amid COVID-19 pandemic and lockdown which became a popular android based game worldwide.
- The game which was launched three days back in google play store has become one of the most popular search and download games.
Source: News On Air
“Ahmedabad Railways introduces Baggage Sanitization and Wrapping machine”
- In Gujarat, Ahmedabad Railway Division has successfully introduced a unique concept of Baggage Sanitization and Wrapping at Ahmedabad Railway Station.
- It is a first of its kind across the Indian Railways. Considering the momentum in transport and travel services after Unlock-1, the Division has come up with baggage sanitization and wrapping machine to ensure safe travel amid the pandemic.
- the baggage sanitization and wrapping machine ensure 360 degree sanitization of the luggage by using ultra violate radiation.
- The machine has been installed by a private enterprise.
- This is an ideal solution for the passengers travelling by the Railways amid the pandemic.
Source: News On Air
“Finance Ministry announces Tax exemptions for Rs. 40 lakh turnover business”
- The Ministry of Finance on Monday said that businesses with an annual turnover of up to Rs 40 lakhs are exempt from GST and those with a turnover up to Rs 1.5 crore can opt for the Composition Scheme and pay only one per cent tax.
- Earlier, the GST exemption limit was Rs 20 lakh
- Additionally, those with a turnover up to Rs 1.5 crore can opt for the Composition Scheme and pay only 1% tax.
“India-Uzbekistan National Coordination Committee meeting held”
- India and Uzbekistan held the first meeting of their National Coordination Committeeon August 24, 2020.
- The committee has been set up to monitor the implementation of the mutually agreed projects between India and Uzbekistan.
- The National Coordination Committee was constituted under the directions of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Uzbekistan President Shavkat Mirziyoyev.
- The first meeting of the committee was co-chaired by the Minister of State for External Affairs, V. Muraleedharan and Deputy Prime Minister of Uzbekistan and Minister of Investments and Foreign Trade, Sardor Umurzakov.