Daily GK Update: 24th July 2020
“China’s Tianwen-1 Mars rover rockets away from Earth”
- The six-wheeled robot, encapsulated in a protective probe, was lifted off Earth by a Long March 5 rocket from the Wenchang spaceport on Hainan Island at 12:40 local time (04:40 GMT).
- It should arrive in orbit around the Red Planet in February.
- Called Tianwen-1, or “Questions to Heaven”, the rover won’t actually try to land on the surface for a further two to three months.
- Tianwen-1 is one of three missions setting off to Mars in the space of 11 days.
Source: BBC News
“DRDO establishes COVID-19 testing facility in Leh”
- New Delhi The DRDO has established a COVID-19 testing facility at the Defence Institute of High Altitude Research (DIHAR) in Leh to augment the existing capacity for identification of coronavirus cases in the union territory of Ladakh, according to an official statement.
- The testing facility, which was inaugurated by Ladakh Lieutenant Governor R K Mathur on Wednesday, is capable of screening 50 samples per day, said the statement by the Defence Ministry.
- In Ladakh, the virus has infected 1,206 people and killed two people, as per data on the Union health ministry’s website.
- There are 186 active COVID-19 cases in Ladakh as of now, it stated.
“Turkmenistan gets observer status in World Trade Organization”
- Turkmenistan has been granted Observer status by the World Trade Organization (WTO ) General Council.
- Turkmenistan has become the last former Soviet republic to establish formal ties with the trade body, a WTO Spokesperson said yesterday.
- The Central Asian country filed a request for Observer status in May and expressed willingness to trigger the talks on accession to the WTO within five years.
- Neighbouring Central Asian countries — Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan and Afghanistan — have acceded to the WTO, while Uzbekistan has been in on-and-off negotiations on WTO accession since 1994.
Source: News On Air
“Bank of Baroda launches paperless ‘Insta Click Savings Account”
- Bank of Baroda has launched ‘Insta Click Savings Account’, a digital self-assisted online savings account, for all its customers.
- The bank’s Insta Click Savings Account will offer innovative digital offerings for customers, from the comfort of their homes.
- The Insta Click Savings Account uses a new form of digital KYC and Aadhar based OTP authentication of the customer, which can be operated from the bank’s website, through Mobile phone, IPad, Laptops, and PC.
- Hence, account holders can open an account through digital KYC and Aadhar based OTP authentication.
Source: Financial Express
“CCI approves Krishnapatnam port acquisition by Adani Ports, SEZL”
- The Competition Commission of India has approved the acquisition of Krishnapatnam Port Company Limited by Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Limited.
- The proposed combination envisages acquisition of equity shareholding along with management control of Krishnapatnam Port Company Limited by Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Limited.
- Adani Ports is a customer-facing integrated port infrastructure services provider currently present across ten domestic ports in six maritime states of Gujarat, Goa, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Odisha.
- The Acquirer manages the logistics chain.
Source: News On Air
“A book titled “The Endgame” authored by Hussain Zaidi”
- Crime writer, S Hussain Zaidi has penned a new novel “The Endgame” which talks of politics, betrayal, and unimaginable terror.
- The book has been published by Harper Collins India.
- “The Endgame” gives the readers a close-up of complex political machinery at work, including state security, defence services, and intelligence agencies like – all building up to an explosive climax.
- Zaidi has also authored “Black Friday”, “Mafia Queens of Mumbai”, “Dongri to Dubai” and “Byculla to Bangkok”.
Source: Current Affairs
“Airtel Payments Bank partners NSDC to train rural youth for financial services jobs”
- Airtel Payments Bank Ltd has collaborated with National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) to train and skill young people in rural areas on financial services, enabling them to find jobs and become entrepreneurs in the sector, the payments bank said in a statement on Wednesday.
- India has the largest youth population in the world and a large proportion is residing in small towns and villages of the country.
- We are delighted to partner with NSDC to empower our youth and build a financially inclusive India,” said Anubrata Biswas.
- Airtel Payments Bank will also use NSDC’s training centres to conduct awareness campaign on the importance of digital banking and its benefits.
“Alok Misra to take over as CEO, director of MFIN”
- Microfinance Institutions Network (MFIN), the self-regulatory organization (SRO) for the microfinance industry, on Wednesday announced that Alok Misra will be taking over as its chief executive officer and director from August 1, 2020.
- Misra is currently professor and chairperson of public policy and governance at MDI Gurgaon.
- He will take over from the present CEO, Harsh Shrivastava, who has decided to move on after over two years at MFIN, a release said.
- He has 28 years of professional experience in international development, rural finance, microfinance, inclusive finance, and research and has worked with 22 countries.
“Ola rolls out enterprise solution ‘Ola Corporate’ to global customers”
- India-based mobility platform Ola is rolling out its enterprise mobility solution ‘Ola Corporate’ across global markets, the company announced on Tuesday.
- It will be rolling out the enterprise offering to customers across Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom.
- The solution had first been introduced in the Indian market and had garnered 10,000 corporate users in the country, the company said.
- The users “have seen a reduction in travel expenses by up to 25 per cent, due to the platform’s centralised billing system, which eliminates the need for paper-based reimbursement,” it said.
Source: The Hindu Business Line
“Sonu Sood launches ‘Pravasi Rojgar’ app to help migrants find job opportunities”
- Actor Sonu Sood on Wednesday launched an app to offer support to workers in finding right job opportunities in various sectors across the country.
- Sood, who catapulted to the national spotlight for his work in helping migrants reach their homes amid the COVID-19 pandemic, has come out with a free of cost online platform called ‘Pravasi Rojgar’, which will provide all the necessary information and right linkages to find jobs.
- The 47-year-old actor said while arranging travel for the migrants, their conversations would often revolve around how they were looking for the right work opportunity amid the pandemic.
- “Lot of thinking, planning and preparation have gone into designing this initiative over the last few months, in order to ensure that it is holistic and builds on the work already being done in the country.
Source: Economic Times