Daily GK Update: 24th August 2020
“Aarogya Setu introduces ‘Open API Service’ feature”
- Aarogya Setu has worked on a new innovative feature called ‘Open API Service’ to help businesses and the economy to start functioning while being safe.
- The service can be availed by organizations and business entities, who are registered in India with more than 50 employees and can use the Open API Service to query the Aarogya Setu Application in real-time and get the health status of their employees or any other Aarogya Setu User, who have provided consent for sharing their health status with the organization.
- The Open API shall only provide the Aarogya Setu status and name of the Aarogya Setu User (with user’s consent). No other personal data shall be provided through the API.
- The Open API Service enables organizations to check the status of Aarogya Setu and integrate it into its various Work from Home features.
- The Open API Service of Aarogya Setu, addresses the fear/risk of COVID-19 infections and helps the people, businesses and the economy to return to normalcy.
“RBI releases 2nd edition of National Strategy for Financial Education”
- To achieve the vision of creating a financially aware and empowered India, the Reserve Bank released the ‘Second National Strategy for Financial Education (NSFE) for the period 2020-2025.
- The NSFE 2020-25 intends to support the Centre and financial sector regulators’ vision of empowering various sections of society to “develop adequate knowledge, skills, attitudes and behaviour which are needed to manage their money better and to plan for the future”.
- Accordingly, to achieve the vision of creating a financially aware and empowered India, certain strategic objectives have been laid down which include inculcating financial literacy concepts among various sections of the population through financial education to “make it an important life skill”.
Source: India TV
“Govt activates Aadhaar authentication for new GST registration”
- Government has activated Aadhaar authentication for new goods and services tax (GST) registration to enhance ease of doing business.
- For those opting for Aadhaar authentication, new GST registration will be issued within three working days and will not need to wait for physical verification.
- However, those not opting for Aadhaar authentication will be granted it only after physical verification of the place of business or documentary verification which may take up to 21 working days or more.
- The facility of quick approval of GST registration through Aadhaar authentication can be availed by all Indian citizens.
“Consumer Affairs launches Registration and Renewal for Jewellers system”
- The Union Minister for Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution Shri Ram Vilas Paswan virtually launched the online system of Registration and Renewal of Jewellers as well as online system of recognition and renewal of the Assaying and Hallmarking Centres.
- This online system can be accessed through Bureau of Indian Standards web portal manakonline.in.
- Currently, gold hallmarking is voluntary in nature, but it will be made mandatory from June 2021, after which, the Gold sold by jewelers will need to have ‘hallmark’ quality certification.
- The online system will ensure that applications to set up a new centre or renew the existing licence can be submitted online.
“Centre forms National Council for Transgenders to formulate policies”
- The Centre has constituted the National Council for Transgender Persons to formulate policies, programmes, legislation and projects regarding members of the community for achieving equality and full participation by them.
- The council was established by the Centre in exercise of the powers conferred by the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019, according to a gazette notification issued.
- According to the Act, the functions of the council include advising the Centre on the formulation of policies, programmes, legislation and projects with respect to transgender persons; monitoring and evaluating the impact of policies and programmes designed for achieving equality and full participation of transgender persons.
Source: News 18
“China launches optical remote-sensing satellite named Gaofen-9 05”
- China has successfully launched a new optical remote-sensing satellite named “Gaofen-9 05” from its Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre.
- The satellite was sent into orbit by a Long March-2D carrier rocket.
- Along with it, another satellite named Tiantuo-5 and one multifunctional test satellite was also launched by the rocket.
“Kallis, Sthalekar and Zaheer Abbas inducted into ICC Hall of Fame”
- Legendary South African all-rounder Jaques Kallis, Pakistan batting great Zaheer Abbas and Pune-born former Australian captain Lisa Sthalekar were on Sunday inducted into the International Cricket Council’s Hall of Fame in a virtual ceremony.
- Among the finest all-rounders to play the game, Kallis represented South Africa in 166 Tests, 328 ODIs and 25 T20s between 1995 and 2014.
- The 44-year-old is Proteas’ highest run-getter in Tests and ODIs with 13289 and 11579 runs respectively. He also picked up 292 and 273 wickets in Tests and ODIs as a fast bowler.
- The ICC conducted the ceremony virtually owing to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- It was attended by, among others, Kallis’ longtime teammate Shaun Pollock and Indian great Sunil Gavaskar.
Source: Times of India
“Ministry of Tourism signs MoU with TAAI and FLO for women empowerment”
- The tourism ministry has virtually signed an MoU with the Travel Agents Association of India (TAAI) and the FICCI Ladies Organisation (FLO) to promote tourism as a sustainable livelihood model for the economic empowerment of women
- Speaking on the occasion, Tourism Minister Prahlad Singh Patel said the memorandum of understanding (MoU) will provide an opportunity to increase the participation of women in the tourism sector and make them an integral part of the tourism workforce in the country.
- The main components proposed under the initiative are to encourage travel to at least 15 destinations within the country under the “Dekho Apna Desh” initiative.
- This will be a mandate for the membership base of over 8,000 women of the FLO and TAAI and their family support systems.
Source: Outlook India
“Arjun Munda e-inaugurates “Tribes India Showroom” in Mumbai”
- “Tribes India Showroom”has been e-inaugurated by the Union Minister for Tribal Affairs, Arjun Munda.
- The showroom has been inauguratedin Indian Globe Chambers of LIC Western Zonal Office, Fort,
- “Tribes India Showroom” is an initiative of TRIFED, Ministry of Tribal Affairs to promote the livelihood of the tribal people marketing.
- Tribes India on Wheels” is also launched by TRIFED to boost the sales and enhance tribal income in these challenging times.
Source: Daily Hunt
“A book titled “Gastric Cancer” released by Jitendra Singh”
- Union Minister, Jitendra Singhhas released a book on cancer named “Gastric Cancer” edited by Dr Ashok K. Vaid.
- The book was launched during a special session organized during the 3-day virtual conference on
- The book is published by Springer Healthcare Education.
- Ashok K. Vaid is a Noted Oncologist and was awarded Padma Shri in 2009 for his outstanding work in the field of medicine.