Daily GK Update: 23rd July 2020
“PM Modi to address India Ideas Summit tonight, share views on ‘building better future”
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi delivered the keynote address at the India Ideas Summit today.
- The Summit is being hosted by the US-India Business Council (USIBC).
- The theme for this year’s Summit is ‘Building a Better Future’.
- Prime Minister congratulated USIBC on its 45th anniversary this year.
Source: Narendra Modi
“Amit Shah launches Tree Plantation Campaign-2020 of the Coal Ministry”
- Union home minister Amit Shah launched the Tree Plantation Campaign “Vriksharopan Abhiyan” of the Ministry of Coal in New Delhi on Thursday.
- Union coal minister Pralhad Joshi was among the dignitaries present during the launch.
- During the launch event at his residence, the Union Home Minister inaugurated and laid the foundation stone of 6 eco-parks.
- The tree plantation campaign was conducted at more than 130 locations spread in 38 districts of 10 coal/lignite bearing states through video conferencing.
Source: NN Now
“DG RPF Arun Kumar nominated as Vice-Chairman of International Union of Railways”
- India will be represented on the high table of global rail transport policy making as RPF Arun Kumar has been nominated to be the vice-chairman of the of UIC.
- The UIC is the global platform for railway systems working on inter-operability, developing common technical standards for railways across the world and strengthening what is called “rail diplomacy”.
- Kumar, in January this year, had presented at the UIC various measures taken by the Indian Railways to organise the Kumbh fair, the largest gathering in the world.
- After the two-year tenure of vice-chairmanship, the chairmanship of the Security Platform will go to DG, RPF for the next two years.
Source: The Indian Express
“Comet NEOWISE to make closest approach to Earth today”
- The comet NEOWISE will be making its closest approach to Earth Thursday, passing by at a distance of 103 million kilometres.
- NEOWISE is fading away slowly as it moves farther from the Sun, dimming in visibility.
- The comet will be visible after sunset around the world in the north west direction. In India, it will be visible until around 9:30pm.
- Before 12 July, the comet was visible in the early hours of the morning.
Source: The Print
“Punjab govt signs MoU with IIT Ropar for skill development”
- The Punjab government has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar, in the area of skill development.
- According to a government statement, the MoU provides for the IIT’s technical education department to become an academic mentor for the state’s engineering colleges at Gurdaspur and Ferozepur, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Skill Institute at Chamkaur Sahib, five government polytechnics and 10 government ITIs.
- The institute will also help the state in developing a model ITI and a model polytechnic.
- Others would be modelled on similar lines subsequently, it said.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Anti-Tank Guided Missile “Dhruvastra” Test-Fired In Odisha: Report”
- India has successfully conducted three flight tests of its indigenously developed anti-tank guided missile ”Dhruvastra” from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur in Odisha, defence sources said on Wednesday.
- Developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), the helicopter-launched anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) is one of the most advanced anti-tank weapons in the world.
- The sophisticated missile was test-fired twice on July 15 and once on July 16 from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) as part of the developmental trials conducted by DRDO, they said.
- It was ground tested from a launcher to evaluate some of its major parameters, the sources said.
“Greta Thunberg to donate one-million-euro humanitarian prize”
- The 17-year-old founder of School Strike for Climate, won the inaugural Gulbenkian Prize for Humanity.
- Judges described her as “one of the most remarkable figures of our days”.
- Ms Thunberg said she will be donating the prize money to charitable projects that are combating “the climate and ecological crisis”.
- As well as being awarded Time Magazine’s Person of the Year in 2019, Ms Thunberg has been nominated twice for the Nobel Peace Prize.
“UPI Autopay facility launched for recurring payments up to ₹2,000”
- National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI) today launched UPI AutoPay feature for recurring payments.
- With this new facility, customers can enable recurring e-mandate using any UPI application for recurring payments such as mobile bills, electricity bills, EMI payments, entertainment and OTT subscriptions, insurance, mutual funds and loan payments, among others of up to ₹2000.
- If the amount exceeds ₹2000, customers have to execute every mandate with UPI PIN.
- Any UPI-enabled application would also have a ‘Mandate’ section, through which customers can create, approve, modify, pause as well as revoke auto debit mandate.
“Sumit Deb appointed CMD of National Mineral Development Corporation”
- Sumit Deb has been appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC).
- Deb, at present Director (Personnel) in the NMDC, will have tenure till February 28, 2023, i.e. the date of his superannuation, it said.
- He succeeds N Baijendra Kumar who superannuates this month-end.
- National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) is an iron ore mining major of India under the administrative control of Ministry of Steel.
Source: Business Standard
“SBI General Insurance appoints PC Kandpal as MD & CEO”
- Non-life insurer SBI General Insurance on Tuesday announced the appointment of Prakash Chandra Kandpal as its new managing director and chief executive officer, effective July 20.
- He has been with SBI General Insurance as the deputy CEO since June 2019, a release said.
- A seasoned banker, Kandpal, has more than 33 years of experience with SBI.
- He has an experience in both retail and international banking, human resource, technology, and learning and development.