Daily GK Update: 23rd January 2020
Subhash Chandra Bose Birth Anniversary 2020
- India is celebrating the 123rd birth anniversary of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose on January 23, 2020. Subhash Chandra Bose is known for the establishment of the Azad Hind Fauj or Indian National Army (INA).
- Nation pays a tribute to Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose on this occasion. Several cultural programs held across the country in his respect. It is believed that Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose died in a plane accident in 1945. However, no concrete evidence was ever found of his death in a plane crash.
Source: Jagran Josh
Def Ministry approves procurement of military hardware worth Rs 5,100 crore
- The defence ministry on Tuesday approved procurement of military equipment worth over Rs 5,100 crore from indigenous sources and gave a go ahead to construct six conventional submarines for the Navy in India under the ambitious strategic partnership model.
- The decisions were taken at a meeting of the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) chaired by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and attended by Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Bipin Rawat and several top officials. It was the first meeting of the DAC after appointment of the Chief of the Defence Staff.
Source: Business Standard
World Employment and Social Outlook: Trends 2020
- This report provides an overview of global and regional trends in employment, unemployment, labour force participation and productivity, as well as dimensions of job quality such as employment status, informal employment and working poverty. It also examines income and social developments, and provides an indicator of social unrest.
- Key findings are that are unemployment is projected to rise after a long period of stability, and that many people are working fewer paid hours than they would like or lack adequate access to paid work. The report also takes a close look at decent work deficits and persistent labour market inequalities, noting that income inequality is higher than previously thought.
Source: International Labour Organization
Ujjwala inspires Ghana, India to assist Ghana in implementation of its LPG promotion policy
- Ghana wants to replicate the highly successful Ujjwala model of giving out cooking gas (LPG) connections to the need and has signed an agreement with state-owned Indian Oil Corp (IOC) seeking its assistance and technical expertise in implementation of the African nation’s national LPG promotion policy.
- Alhassan Sulemana Tampuli, Chief Executive, National Petroleum Authority (NPA) of Ghana and L K S Chauhan, Chief General Manager (LPG Operations), IOC signed the MoU in presence of Oil Minister Dharmendra pradhan and Michael Aaron, High Commissioner of Ghana to India.
Source: Business Standard
India falls to 51st position in EIU’s Democracy Index
- India slipped 10 places to 51st position in the 2019 Democracy Index’s global ranking, according to The Economist Intelligence Unit, which cited “erosion of civil liberties” in the country as the primary cause for the downtrend.
- India’s overall score fell from 7.23 in 2018 to 6.90 in the Index that provides a snapshot of the current state of democracy worldwide for 165 independent states and two territories.
Source: The Economic Times
Innovative Technologies and Solutions can play a key role in bridging Economic Inequalities: Shri Mansukh Mandaviya
- The Union Minister of State for Shipping (I/C) and Chemical & Fertilizers Shri Mansukh Mandaviya today participated in the High-level roundtable of UNAIDS (The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS) on the theme Access for all: Leveraging Innovations, Investments and Partnerships for Health at World Economic Forum at Davos, Switzerland.
- In a one-hour long discussion Shri Mandaviya stated that, “Health needs to be accessible for all and innovative technologies and solutions can play a key role, including in bridging economic inequalities”. Shri Mandaviya is on a Four-day official visit to Davos to attend World Economic Forum.
Source: Press Information Bureau
Cabinet approves agreement, MoUs with Brazil
- The Union Cabinet on Wednesday approved agreements and MoUs to be signed with Brazil including on mutual legal assistance in criminal matters.
- The cabinet nod came ahead of the visit of Brazilian President Jair Messias Bolsonaro who will be the chief guest during the Republic Day parade.
- Apart from the agreement on mutual legal assistance in criminal matters, the cabinet also approved MoU on cooperation in oil and natural gas sectors.
- It approved Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on cooperation to be signed between Brazil’s Ministry of Citizenship and the Ministry of Women and Child Development for cooperation in issues relating to early childhood.
Source: Big News Network
Govt notifies National Startup Advisory Council, Commerce Minister to chair
- The government on Tuesday notified the structure of the National Startup Advisory Council. To be chaired by commerce and industry minister, the council will suggest measures to foster a culture of innovation amongst citizens and students in particular, promote innovation in all sectors of economy across the country, support creative and innovative ideas through incubation and create an environment of absorption of innovation in industry.
- The council is being set up in the wake of a plethora of regulatory changes covering start-ups in the works to reduce time spent on tax compliance by them to less than one hour a month along with easier incorporation processes and boosting the availability of global and domestic capital.
Source: The Economic Times
After Andhra Upper House blocks 3-capital bill, Jagan government mulls its abolition
- The Jagan government might abolish the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Council if the opposition TDP, which has an absolute majority in the Upper House, continues to block the AP Decentralisation of Governance and Inclusive Development of All Regions Bill-2020 that facilitates the creation of three capitals for the State.
- The crucial bill, which provides for a Legislative Capital in Amaravati, Executive Capital in Visakhapatnam and Judicial Capital in Kurnool, was passed in the Assembly Monday night and the same was sought to be introduced in the Upper House on Tuesday morning by Finance Minister Buggana Rajendranath Reddy.
Source: The New Indian Express