Daily GK Update: 23rd August 2020
“AP Govt Signed MoU with Reliance Retail, Jio and Allana Group to Help Women SHGs Market Their Products”
- Reliance Industries announced that Jio Platforms, Reliance Retail and WhatsApp have also entered into a commercial partnership agreement to further accelerate Reliance Retail’s New Commerce business on the JioMart platform using WhatsApp and to support small businesses on WhatsApp.
- WhatsApp already plays an important role in helping people and businesses connect in India.
- Reliance Retail’s New Commerce platform, JioMart, is being built in partnership with millions of small merchants and kirana shops to empower them to better serve the needs of Indian consumers.
- The companies will work closely to ensure that consumers are able to access the nearest kiranas who can provide products and services to their homes by transacting seamlessly with JioMart using WhatsApp.
Source: Business Standard
“Nitin Gadkari launches “Harit Path app” stresses on greener national highways”
- Union minister Nitin Gadkari stressed the need for utilizing modern and green technologies in highways construction besides reducing the cost of road building by at least 25 per cent.
- The road transport minister also launched a mobile app ‘Harit Path’ to monitor the plantation along the national highways.
- Chairing a meeting via video conference to review ‘New Green Highways Policy (Plantation)’ and discuss use of new technologies in road construction, Gadkari said it should be the ministry’s mission to reduce cost of construction by 25 per cent and for this new technologies are required, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways said in a statement.
- While inaugurating the mobile app, the minister emphasised on strict monitoring of plantation and transplantation of trees.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Spain reports first West Nile virus death in 2020”
- Spain has reported this year’s first death due to the West Nile virus, a mosquito-borne infection
- Spanish TV network Telecinco said in a report that the victim, a 77-year-old man from the town of La Puebla del Rio, died.
- According to the report, the patient had been in intensive care in a hospital near the town, where he was receiving treatment for several days.
- A total of 35 people have so far been infected in the biggest West Nile outbreak ever detected in the country’s southern region of Andalusia, according to the El Pais newspaper.
Source: DT Next
“Maruti Suzuki partners with IIM Bangalore to incubate mobility startups”
- To engage with startups in the area of mobility, India’s largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki India today announced its partnership with Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore (IIMB).
- The first-of-its kind initiative by an automobile manufacturing company will help early-stage startups become large scale businesses.
- For mobility startups at the Nadathur S. Raghavan Centre for Entrepreneurial Learning (NSRCEL), the startup hub and incubation centre of IIMB, this will be a 3-month (pre-incubation) and 6- month (incubation) engagement.
Source: Live Mint
“ICICI Lombard to acquire Bharti AXA General Insurance”
- ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company and Bharti AXA General Insurance Company in their respective board meetings approved entering into definitive agreements for demerger of the latter’s non-life insurance business into the former’s through a Scheme of Arrangement.
- As part of the deal, the shareholders of Bharti AXA shall receive 2 shares of ICICI Lombard for every 115 shares of Bharti AXA held by them as on the date on which the Scheme of Arrangement is approved
- The merged entity will become the third-largest general insurance company in the country and both the firms expect the transaction to be concluded in one year.
- The deal will result in an annual premium of Rs 16,447 crore on a combined basis with a market share of 8.7 percent.
- Bharti Enterprise owns 51 percent and French multinational insurance firm AXA owns 49 percent in Bharti AXA General Insurance.
Source: CNBC TV18
“Flipkart partners with Nepal’s Sastodeal, opening new market for MSMEs”
- Flipkart has partnered with Nepal’s leading e-commerce firm Sastodeal to sell products from various verticals like baby care & kids, women’s ethnic wear and sports & fitness among others in the neighbouring country.
- The Bengaluru headquartered firm said this will be a first-of-its kind partnership with an overseas firm to sell Make in India products.
- In the first phase, the partnership will see 5000+ products listed on Sastodeal.
- Earlier, Flipkart-backed online fashion marketplace Myntra launched various Indian brands in the UAE by partnering with e-commerce firms noon.com and namshi.com.
Source: The New Indian Express
“Ashwani Bhatia appointed as managing director of State Bank of India”
- The central government has appointed Ashwani Bhatia as the managing director (MD) of the State Bank of India (SBI).
- Bhatia has been appointed as the managing director up to the date of his superannuation that is May 31, 2022, an order from Personnel Ministry stated.
- Bhatia is currently working as the managing director and chief executive officer at SBI Mutual Fund. Bhatia will be appointed in place of P K Gupta who superannuated on March 31.
- Before joining SBI Mutual Funds, Bhatia was in charge of revamping the entire credit structure and processes of SBI.
Source: Live Mint
“Anand Mahindra & Shantanu Narayen to receive 2020 Leadership Awards from USISPF”
- US-based India-centricbusiness advocacy group announced to honour Mahindra group Chairman Anand Mahindra and Adobe Chairman and CEO Shantanu Narayen with its 2020 Leadership Awards in recognition of their exemplary vision towards promoting US-India bilateral ties.
- The award would be presented during the third Annual Leadership Summit, titled “US-India Week: Navigating New Challenges”, which will convene virtually from August 31
- The week-long programme, which will conclude on September 3, will include a range of strategic discussions between USISPF’s board members, which include 21 Fortune 500 CEOs, and senior government officials from both the countries.
Source: Business Today
“A Book Titled ‘One Arranged Murder’ Authored by Chetan Bhagat”
- A murder mystery in the backdrop of an arranged marriage will be at the centrestage of bestselling author Chetan Bhagat’s upcoming fiction book, announced publishing house Westland.
- The book’s title — One Arranged Murder— and its cover were revealed by the author on Monday. It will be Bhagat’s ninth novel and 11th book overall.
- His last release was The Girl in Room 105.
- Though available for pre-order on Amazon, the book will be released worldwide on September 28.
Source: The Indian Express
“Axis Bank launches hiring initiative named ‘Gig-a-Opportunities’”
- Axis Bank has launched an initiative named ‘Gig-a-Opportunities’.
- The initiative aims to attract skilled talent that can work with the bank remotely, from anywhere in the country.
- This hiring model comprises two working patterns.
- One is the full-time permanent job and the second is based on the duration of a project and is temporary in nature.
- Axis Bank aims to employ 800-1000 people over the next under this initiative.