Daily GK Update: 22nd September 2020
“Anil Dhasmana appointed as new chief of NTRO”
- Former Research and Analysis Wing (R&AW) chief Anil Dhasmana has been appointed as the chief of National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO), India’s technical body that is responsible for geospatial intelligence and satellite imagery.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet, headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, cleared the appointment and the decision was formally conveyed to the retired Indian Police Service officer.
- Dhasmana succeeds former Intelligence Bureau officer Satish Jha, who demitted office.
- Dhasmana, a 1981 batch IPS officer, is a Pakistan expert and was the lead planner of the Balakot air strikes in February 2019. He had stepped down a few months later when his extended term due to the general elections ended in June 2019.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Novak Djokovic wins Men’s Singles event by beating Diego Schwartzman in Italian Open”
- In tennis, the world number one Novak Djokovic won a record 36th Masters Title in Italian Open on September 21, 2020, by beating Diego Schwartzman in Rome.
- The Serbian tennis player was playing his first tournament since being disqualified from US Open in September 2020. Djokovic won 7-5, 6-3 in the Italian Open final to ensure that he goes into next week’s French Open on a high.
- Novak Djokovic drew level with Rafael Nadal in August 2020 on all times list of Masters winner with his Western and Southern Open Title, but is now clear.
- The French Open is all set to start on September 27, 2020, where Nadal will be seeking a record-extending 13th men’s singles title in Paris.
- With the Italian Open win, Novak Djokovic has also passed childhood idol, Pete Sampras, for the 2nd -most weeks at No. 1 with 287, trailing only Federer’s 310 weeks in the top spot.
Source: Jagran Josh
“PM lays foundation for 9 highway projects in Bihar, inaugurates optical fibre connectivity”
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone for nine national highway projects worth over Rs 14,258 crore in poll-bound Bihar on Monday and launched optical fibre Internet services to connect the state’s all 45,945 villages.
- Asserting that the pace of highway construction has doubled since his party came to power in 2014 and expenditure on it rose by five times since then, Modi said at a virtual event that Rs 110 lakh crore will be spent on infrastructure in the coming four-five years, with Rs 19 lakh crore allocated for highway development alone.
- The nine highway projects in Bihar involve a road length of about 350 kilometres.
- Launching Internet services through optical fibres, he said the day is historic for not only Bihar but the country as well because the government is taking major steps to make villages the mainstay of ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat’.
Source: Economic Times
“First direct cargo ferry service between India, Maldives flagged off”
- In line with New Delhi’s commitment to Male since June 2019, a direct cargo ferry service between India and Maldives commenced on Monday. This is the first time that a direct cargo shipping line is connecting the two neighbouring countries.
- The ferry service, which was announced by PM Narendra Modiin June 2019 during his visit to Maldives, was launched in an e-flag-off ceremony jointly by MoS (Independent Charge) Shipping Mansukh Mandaviya and Minister of Transport and Civil Aviation of Maldives Aishath Nahula.
- Commencement of the service was announced by External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar during his virtual meeting with the Foreign Minister of Maldives Abdulla Shahid on August 13.
- The service will run twice a month, and will be operated by Shipping Corporation of India.
Source: Indian Express
“PM Modi pushes for digital self reliance, launches ‘Ghar Tak Fibre’ scheme to connect 45,945 villages across Bihar”
- Inching towards digital self reliance in Bihar, under the Centre’s ambitious Digital Indiaprogramme, the Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday launched ‘Ghar Tak Fibre’ scheme along with nine highway projects worth Rs 14,000 crores via video-conferencing in poll-bound Bihar.
- “Today, India is working towards making its villages self-reliant. It is a matter of pride that this process is starting from Bihar,” PM Modi said while addressing the digital event.
- The ‘Ghar Tak Fibre’ scheme is likely to connect 45,945 villages of Bihar through optical fibre internet service. The project will lead digital services including e-Education, e-Agriculture, Tele-Medicine, Tele-law and other social security schemes in Bihar ensuring easy access to all state natives.
- The #GharTakFiber scheme is also likely to boost the local employment generation with the implementation of Bharat Net initiative which will be done by recruiting local workers.
- The ‘Ghar Tak Fibre’ project would entail implementation of 1 wi-fi and 5 free of cost connections to government institutions including primary schools, Anganwadi Centres, Aasha workers and Jeevika Didi.
Source: Economic Times
“PM Modi awarded Ig Nobel Prize 2020 for medical Education”
- Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi has been awarded the Ig Nobel Prize 2020 for Medical Education.
- He has been awarded the prestigious award for “using the COVID-19 pandemic to teach the world that politicians can have a more immediate effect on life and death than scientists and doctors can”.
- PM Modi is the second Indian Prime Minister to be honoured with the Ig Nobel Prize. Prior to this, Atal Bihari Vajpayee was awarded in 1998.
- He jointly won the Ig Nobel Peace Prize with Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif of Pakistan for aggressively peaceful explosions of atomic bombs.
- PM Modi shares the award with Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil, Boris Johnson of the United Kingdom, Andrés Manuel López Obrador of Mexico, Alexander Lukashenko of Belarus, Donald Trump of the USA, Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey, Vladimir Putin of Russia, and Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow of Turkmenistan.
- Apart from this, the governments of India and Pakistanjointly won the Ig Nobel Peace Prize 2020 for having their diplomats surreptitiously ring each other’s doorbells in the middle of the night, and then run away before anyone had a chance to answer the door in Islamabad and New Delhi city respectively.
“Nepal’s legendary mountaineer Ang Rita Sherpa dies”
- Ang Rita Sherpa, the legendary Nepalese mountaineer who scaled the world’s highest mountain peak, Mt Everest, 10 times without bottled oxygen, died here on Monday at the age of 72, the country’s Mountaineering Association said.
- Rita, who was nicknamed the ‘Snow Leopard’ due to his adventures, was suffering from various diseases, including liver dysfunction. He died at his residence in Kathmandu.
- “Ang Rita Sherpa was a legendary mountaineer who scaled Mount Everest for 10 times between 1983 and 1996 without an oxygen cylinder. He died today (Monday) at his residence here,” Tikaram Gurung, secretary of Nepal Mountaineering Association, said.
- The mountaineering legend was awarded a prestigious Guinness World Record certificate for making the most number of successful ascents on the 8,848-meter Mt Everest without using supplemental oxygen.
- The Guiness World Record has also recognized him as the first man to climb Everest in winter without supplementary oxygen in December 1987.
Source: Times of India
“Company Law Committee’s term extended by one year”
- The Corporate Affairs Ministry (MCA) has extended by one year the term of the existing Company Law Committee (CLC) that was set up to promote Ease of Living in the country by providing Ease of Doing Business to law abiding corporates and fostering improved corporate compliance for stakeholders at large.
- The tenure of the CLC has been extended up to September 17, 2021, official sources said.
- It may be recalled that MCA had on September 18 last year set up the 11-member CLC under the Chairmanship of MCA Secretary for making recommendations to the Government on various provisions and issues pertaining to implementation of the Companies Act 2013 and the Limited Liability Partnership Act 2008.
- This panel comprised Uday Kotak, Managing Director & CEO, Kotak Mahindra Bank; Siddarth Birla, Chairman, Xpro India Limited and Past Presidents of ICAI Amarjit Chopra and G Ramaswamy besides leading lawyers Shardul S Shroff, Executive Chairman, Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co and Ajay Bahl, Founder and Managing Partner, AZB & Partners.
Source: Hindu Business Line
“Assam: Music composer, lyricist and actor Bibhuranjan Choudhury dead at 71”
- Well-known music composer, singer, lyricist, and actor Bibhuranjan Choudhury lost his battle to cancer and other ailments at a private hospital in the city on Sunday. He was 71.
- A close associate of Choudhury, painter Kiron Shankar, said that Choudhury was admitted at the hospital after his health condition deteriorated after the detection of gall bladder stone. “Last week, he was admitted.
- Bibhuranjan Choudhury was the composer of the music of Guwahati Doordarshan’s first serial Jibonor ‘Batot’, and retired as the superintendent of Assam State Film Finance and Development Corporation (ASFFDC).
- Bibhuranjan Choudhury’s first film as a music director was Sutrapat in 1987 and the last one is Ai Maatite in 2017. He also composed music for many TV serials, stage plays, and radio productions. He had also acted in many Assamese films, plays, and serials.
“Logo and Song of “Destination North East, 2020” festival launched”
- On September 21, 2020, the Union Minister Shri Jitendra Singh unveiled logo and song for the festival “Destination North East, 2020”. The four-day event is to be formally inaugurated by Home Minister Amit Shah on September 27, 2020.
- The festival helps to familiarize people of other parts of the country with rich unexplored potential of North East. It also promotes tourism potential of the North East. The festival will give boost to handicrafts, handloom, organic products and cultural troupes of North East.
- The main objective of the programme is to make the unexplored potentials of the North East Region available to the young entrepreneurs all over the country. The festival was launched in the couple of years in 2018 (in Chandigarh) and in 2019 (in India Gate, New Delhi).
- The scheme was launched to promote industrialization, income generation and boost employment. It covers the industrial units in the state of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Mizoram, Sikkim and Tripura.
Source: GK today