Daily GK Update: 22nd July 2020
“KVB appoints Ramesh Babu Boddu as new MD & CEO”
- Karur Vysya Bank (KVB) on Tuesday said its Board of Directors has co-opted Ramesh Babu Boddu as an Additional Director.
- They have appointed him as Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer for three years.
- Babu’s three-year appointment is effective from the date of taking charge, on the terms and conditions approved by the Reserve Bank of India, KVB said in a regulatory filing.
- He retired as Deputy Managing Director in State Bank of India in April 2020.
Source: The Hindu Business Line
“Indian direct selling industry records USD 2.47 billion sales in 2019, ranks 15th globally”
- The Indian direct selling industry has recorded sales of USD 2.47 billion in 2019, reporting a growth of 12.1 per cent, a report by World Federation of Direct Selling Associations (WFDSA) said.
- This has helped the direct selling industry improve its ranking to the 15th from the earlier 19th a year before, said The Global Direct Selling – 2019 Retail Sales report by Washington-based WFDSA.
- Moreover, in terms of the number of direct sellers, India has been ranked at sixth position, proving employment to 57.50 lakh people.
- However, the global direct selling industry has reported an overall decline of 4.3 per cent in sales to USD 180.47 billion in 2019.
Source: Financial Express
“NFRA constitutes technical advisory committee”
- The audit regulator, National Financial Reporting Authority (NFRA), has constituted a Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) under the Chairmanship of R Narayanaswamy, Professor, Indian Institute of Management, Bengaluru.
- The TAC, which comprises seven members, including the Chairman, would, among other things, aid and advise the Executive Body of the NFRA on issues related to the drafts of accounting standards and auditing standards.
- It will also provide inputs from the perspectives of users, preparers and auditors of financial statements.
- The terms of reference of TAC include advise on development of measures of audit quality.
Source: The Hindu Business Line
“Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan launches PNB’s campaign to distribute face masks & sanitizers”
- Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan launched Punjab National Bank’s campaign to distribute face masks and sanitizers to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in New Delhi today.
- S. Mallikarjuna Rao, MD and CEO, and other senior officials of PNB were also present.
- Expressing his gratitude to PNB for taking this responsibility when the whole world is suffering from COVID19, Dr Harsh Vardhan said, he is happy that PNB is supporting the efforts of the Government in fight against this Pandemic.
- He said, steps like donation in PM Cares fund and organising CSR activities for distribution of masks and sanitizers have been taken by the Bank.
Source: News On Air
“New book on Udham Singh by Akademi awardee Baldev Singh Sadaknama”
- With two weeks to go to the 80th martyrdom day of freedom fighter Udham Singh, Sahitya Akademi Award winner Baldev Singh Sadaknama has written another book shedding light on historic perspectives.
- ‘Suraj Kade Marda Nahi’ (sun never dies) is on the life of Udham Singh, whose 80th death anniversary will fall on July 31.
- Udham Singh was hanged on July 31, 1940 for the killing of former lieutenant governor of Punjab Michael O’ Dwyer on March 13, 1940, at Caxton Hall, London.
- The mention could evoke sharp political reactions as earlier too the issue had been hotly debated in Punjab few months ago.
Source: Times Of India
“New Private Secretary to President”
- P Praveen Siddharth has been appointed as the new Private Secretary to President of India Ram Nath Kovind.
- His appointment is made by Appointments Committee of the Cabinet.
- His tenure will be co-terminus with President of India’s term.
- He is 2001-batch Indian Revenue Service (Income Tax) officer.
Source: The Hindu
“Chhattisgarh rolls out ‘Godhan Nyay Yojna’ to boost rural economy”
- Chhattisgarh CM Bhupesh Baghel rolled out ‘Godhan Nyay Yojana’.
- Under this, state govt will purchase cow dung from cattle rearers at Rs 2 per kg rate.
- The scheme will promote cattle rearing, ensure safety of livestock, help cattle ranchers earn extra income, tackling open grazing boosting rural economy.
- Vermicompost will be prepared by it by the women self-help groups and will be sold at Rs 8 per kg to farmers, while the dung will be utilized for other products.
Source: Business Standard
“Former Australia Test cricketer Barry Jarman passes away at 84”
- Former Australian test wicketkeeper and ex-International Cricket Council match referee Barry Jarman has died.
- Jarman made his test debut in 1959 and was first-choice wicketkeeper Wally Grout’s understudy on tours.
- The South Australian kept wicket more regularly for Australia after Grout’s retirement in 1966, playing 12 tests in 13 months before he also retired.
- Jarman captained Australia in one test on the 1968 Ashes tour of England when Bill Lawry was injured.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal approves door-to-door PDS ration delivery”
- The Delhi cabinet on Tuesday renewed its approval for the home delivery of ration, which originally began in 2018 and has since been touted as an ambitious project.
- Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said he had a personal attachment with the project since it reminded him of his journey as a social activist.
- The struggle for ‘Mukhyamantri Ghar Ghar Ration Yojana’ kicked off in 2018.
- Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal at that time had sought legal opinion on the scheme as it involved food distribution under the Central government’s PDS.
Source: The New Indian Express
“Spanish novelist Juan Marse dies at 87”
- The literary agency of Juan Marse says the Spanish novelist has died.
- The Carmen Balcells agency announced his passing on Sunday.
- It did not give a reason for his death.
- Marse was one of Spain’s most-respected novelists over the past few decades and the winner of the 2008 Cervantes Prize, the Spanish-speaking world’s top literary award.
Source: Deccan Herald