Daily GK Update: 22nd August 2020
“National Sports Awards 2020 announced”
- Cricketer Rohit Sharma, Para-Athlete Mariyappan Thangavelu, Table Tennis player Manika Batra, Wrestler Vinesh Phogat and Indian Women’s Hockey team captain Rani Rampal will receive the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award.
- The Award is conferred on sportspersons for spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports for over a period of four years.
- This year 27 sportspersons have been selected for the Arjuna Award for consistent outstanding performance for four years.
- They are Archer Atanu Das, Athlete Dutee Chand, Shuttlers Satwik Sairaj Rankireddy and Chirag C Shetty, Basketball player Vishesh Bhriguvanshi, Boxers Subedar Manish Kaushik and Lovlina Borgohain, Cricketer Ishant Sharma and Deepti Sharma, Equestrian player Sawant Ajay Anant, Footballer Sandesh Jhingan, Golfer Aditi Ashok, Hockey players Akashdeep Singh and Deepika, Kabaddi player Deepak, Kho Kho player Kale Sarika Sudhakar, Rower Dattu Baban Bhokanal, Shooter Manu Bhaker and Saurabh Chaudhary, Table Tennis player Madhurika Suhas Patkar, Tennis player Divij Sharan, Winter Sports player Shiva Keshavan, Wrestlers Divya Kakran and Rahul Aware, Para Swimmer Suyash Narayan Jadhav, Para Athlete Sandeep and Para Shooter Manish Narwal.
“Uttar Pradesh partners Israel to resolve Bundelkhand Water Crisis”
- The Uttar Pradesh and Israel governments signed a ‘plan of cooperation’ to resolve water crisis in Bundelkhand region.
- Alok Sinha, UP agriculture production commissioner and Israeli ambassador to India, Ron Malka, signed the agreement here on behalf of their governments.
- The India –Israel – Bundelkhand Water Project comprises three key components including water conservation, water efficient transportation and advanced water practices for agriculture.
- The agreement has been signed for two years and will be extended later. The project aims to address water crisis in drought hit regions of Bundelkhand.
Source: Hindustan Times
““Ek Sankalp-Bujurgo ke naam” campaign in Madhya Pradesh”
- In Madhya Pradesh, the Chhatarpur Police has launched a unique campaign named ‘Ek Sankalp – Bujurgo ke naam’ (‘a commitment for elders’), to take care of the elderly and helpless people, from the food to their health, in the midst of deadly corona infection.
- Under the campaign 3000 senior citizens of the district have been selected by the police whose children are away from them and they are living alone in the home.
- A helpline number has been released, through which the elderly can call and ask for help.
“CCI approves proposed acquisition of C&S Electric by Siemens”
- Fair trade regulator Competition Commission of India (CCI) on Thursday said it approved the proposed acquisition of C&S Electric by
- As per a statement issued by Siemens in January, it had inked an agreement to acquire 99 per cent equity in New Delhi-based C&S Electric for around Rs 2,100 crore.
- Giving nod to the deal, the Competition Commission of India (CCI) said in a tweet that it “approves proposed acquisition of C&S Electric by “
- As per the agreement signed between the two firms, Siemens will acquire Indian operations of C&S Electric’s low-voltage switchgear components and panels, low and medium-voltage power busbars as well as protection and metering devices businesses.
Source: Business Standard
“HSBC India launches “Green Deposit Programme””
- HSBC India on Thursday launched its ‘Green Deposit Programme’ for corporate clients.
- Under this new initiative bank will finance green initiatives such as renewable energy, clean transportation, pollution prevention and control, green building, sustainable water, waste water management and others, providing a simple way for companies to support environmentally-beneficial projects.
- The ‘Green Deposit’ is available in INR as ‘Term Deposit’.
- The bank will provide will provide customers with a quarterly report containing portfolio-level information regarding the use of the deposited funds.
Source: Live Mint
“IIM Kozhikode signs MoU with Switzerland-based HELP Logistics”
- A Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) has been signed by the Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode (IIM-K) with the Switzerland-based HELP Logistics.
- The partnership between the two entities seeks to produce humanitarian logistics in Indiaand the region by offering consulting services as well as logistics training for the humanitarian community such as United Nations bodies, government institutions and non-governmental organisations.
- The partnership will also work towards improving regional knowledge on humanitarian logistics matters as the two entities will together carry out activities that integrate efforts to shape supply chains that benefit humanity during a humanitarian crisis.
Source: Daily Hunt
“Ministry of Skill Development partners with Ministry of Shipping”
- The Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) and The Ministry of Shipping (MoS) on August 20, 2020 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for creating a robust framework driven by the concerted efforts of the two ministries to address the need for skilled workforce in the ports and maritime sector.
- With umpteen focuses laid on skilling and building quality manpower in the shipping sector, the partnership will help in effective implementation of training modules, assessment and the certification process of the candidates.
- In crucial times like these, there is an immense need to build strategies for skilling, re-skilling and up-skilling the workforce in key sectors, a vision clearly stated by our honourable Prime Minister, Shri. Narendra Modi.
“Rajiv Kumar appointed as new Election Commissioner”
- Rajiv Kumar was appointed as the new Election Commissioner by President Ram Nath Kovind on August 21, 2020.
- The former finance secretary will be replacing Ashok Lavasa, who resigned earlier this week.
- Rajiv Kumar’s appointment to the post will take effect on August 31, the day Lavasa leaves his office.
- His appointment comes at a time when the election commission is preparing to hold the Bihar assembly polls amid COVID-19 pandemic.
- Kumar will serve a five-year term as Election Commissioner. He is scheduled to retire from the post in 2025.
“Ronnie O’Sullivan wins World Snooker Championship 2020”
- Ronnie O’Sullivan claimed his sixth World Championship title with a dominant 18-8 victory over Kyren Wilson at Sheffield’s Crucible Theatre.
- O’Sullivan draws level with Ray Reardon and boyhood hero Steve Davis on world crowns, and surpasses Stephen Hendry on the all-time list of ranking event wins with a record 37 titles.
- Although Wilson battled back to 10-7, O’Sullivan wrested total control with a run of eight frames
- O’Sullivan, 44, is the oldest champion since Reardon, who was 45 in 1978.
“Indian Coast Guard launches Interceptor Boat ‘ICGS C-454’”
- A newly-built `Interceptor’ boat of the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) was launched in Surat
- “Interceptor Boat `ICGS C-454′, built by Larsen and Toubro, was launched into the service of the Coast Guard by Surat district Collector Dhaval Patel’s wife, Dr Hiral Patel
- The 27-meter-long boat has a maximum speed of 45 nautical miles or 83 kilometers per hour, and has “excellent seakeeping, maneuverability and endurance range of 500 nautical miles
Source: DD News