Daily GK Update: 21th September 2020
“International Day Of Peace 2020: Details about Theme, Meaning and Significance of the Day”.
- International Day of Peace 2020 will be observed all over the world today i.e. on September 21. It is celebrated every year on the same day to strengthen the ideals of peace and non-violence around the globe.
- In a world troubled with conflicts and violence, this day helps in making people aware of the importance of peaceful living and co-existing.
- As the International Day of Peace 2020 is being celebrated today, a lot of people have been wondering about the International Day of Peace theme, its meaning and significance.
- For all the people who are curious about it, here is everything you need to know about the International Day of Peace 2020.
- International Day of Peace means a day celebrated for all humanity to commit to peace while keeping aside all the differences. The day is celebrated in contributing to building a culture of peace.
- The International Day of Peace holds greater significance for a peaceful living in the world. The day was established in 1981 by the United Nations General Assembly.
Source: Republic World
“Tamil Nadu becomes first state with AI, blockchain, cybersecurity policies”.
- Tamil Nadu became first state in the country to come out with policies on Artificial Intelligence, Blockchain and Cybersecurity policies, when Chief minister Edapaddi K Palaniswami unveiled them at Connect 2020.
- The policies go by the names Tamil Nadu Cyber Security Policy, 2020, Tamil Nadu Blockchain Policy, 2020, and Tamil Nadu Safe and Ethical Artificial Intelligence policy, 2020.
- Tamil Nadu has been attracting investments over the years and 81 projects signed during the Global Investors Meet, 2019, have commenced commercial production, while another 191 are under various stages of implementation, Palaniswami said.
- Palanaswami said, “Even during the Covid lockdown period, we signed 42 MoUs, involving an investment of Rs 31,464 crore, and a potential to create 69,712 jobs.”
Source: Business standard
“SBI starts women self-reliance programme in Assam”.
- To accelerate SHG finacein the Bank in a mission mode, State Bank of India (SBI) started a programme by the name “Mahila Atmanirbharshil Aachani” (Women Self-Reliance programme) .
- SBI stated that women SHGs are very active and credit worthy in rural areas of Assam as it relies on social collateral rather than on financial collateral.
- It also empowers the women by encouraging them to create their micro enterprises for self-reliance and to maintain a sustainable economic condition.
- SBI stated, “ In order to accelerate SHG finance in the Bank in a mission mode and also to percolate the very essence of Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhijanlaunched by Prime Minister of India to the ground level, SBI launched a programme by the name “Mahila Atmanirbharshil Aachani” (Women Self-Reliance programme) in Assam .
- The basic objective of the programme is to create a strong bonding with the SHG member besides extending credit linkages to the women SHGs nurtured and sponsored by NRLM, Assam for self-reliance and economic upliftment. On launching day, SBI branches of Assam sanctioned 856 numbers of SHGs sponsored by NRLM with financial outlay of Rs. 38 crore.”
Source: Economic Times
“World Alzheimer’s Day 2020: Let’s talk about Dementia, here’s how to challenge the stigma around it”.
- Ever since 2012, September has been World Alzheimer’s Month. This year on September 21 which is World Alzheimer’s Day, the theme is ‘Let’s talk about dementia’ and an international campaign is being run to raise awareness and challenge the stigma that surrounds the disease.
- Since there is little or no understanding of Dementia, the stigmatisation and misinformation about the disease is a global problem.
- Hence, it is important to know the history and significance of the day and how you can provide support.
- It is important to raise awareness about this brain condition since Alzheimer’s disease affects about 6 percent of people aged 65 years and older but an average of 2 out of 3 people globally have little or no understanding of it nor of dementia, as previous studies indicate.
Source: Hindustan Times
“HDFC Bank tops in 2020 BrandZ Top 75 Most Valuable Indian Brands ranking For Seventh Year in a Row”.
- HDFC Bank tops in 2020 BrandZ Top 75 Most Valuable Indian Brands ranking For Seventh Year in a Row.
- HDFC Bank has retained the top position among BrandZ Top 75 most valuable Indian brands list for 2020.
- HDFC Bank topped the list for the seventh year in a row, with a brand value of $20.3 billion.
- Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) secured second spoty, LIC was followed by Tata Consultancy Services, and Airtel.
- About HDFC Bank:
- CEO: Aditya Puri
- Headquarters: Mumbai
“Veteran Rabindra Sangeet exponent Purba Dam dies”.
- Veteran Rabindra Sangee exponent Purba Dam died at her residence in the city o Saturday, family sources said. She was 85.
- Dam died of cardiac arrest at her Dhakuria residence in south Kolkata this morning, they said.
- A true disciple of legendary Rabindra Sangeet singer Suchitra Mitra, Dam regaled listeners with her rendition o songs like “Modhur tomar sesh je na pai prohor hol sesh/Bhuban jure roilo lege anando abesh“, “Ami phirbo na re”in her distinctive gayaki style and became a known face among the audience in the 80s.
Source: Indian Express
“INS Viraat’s final journey! 57 glorious years of world’s longest-serving warship in Indian Navy, Royal Navy”.
- INS Viraat has begun its brief voyage from Mumbai to Gujarat’s Alang for one last time. Once INS Viraat reaches the shore of Gujarat, it will be broken and sold as scrap.
- As the Indian Navy bids adieu to the Aircraft Carrier, which has the distinguished record of providing the longest service in the world, we look at the indelible contributions of INS Viraat.
- INS Viraat was commissioned into the British Royal Navy in November 1959 as HMS (Her Majesty’s Ship) Hermes. The Centaur-Class aircraft carrier 27 years in the Royal Navy.
- INS Viraat served in the Indian Navy for 30 long years. In March 2017, the glorious era of INS Viraat culminated after being decommissioned at Naval Dockyard, Mumbai. The grand ceremony witnessed the presence of more than 1300 personnel who have served on board INS Viraat.
- INS Viraat holds the world record as mentioned in the Guinness Book of Records for being the longest-serving warship of the world. The ship which was the centerpiece of the Navy, housed the fighters Sea Harriers of INAS 300, popularly called “White Tigers”, Anti Submarine aircraft Sea king Mk 42B – also known as “Harpoons” -, Sea King Mk 42 C and the SAR helicopter Chetak as an integral flight.
Source: Financial Express
“Tata group to launch India’s first CRISPR COVID-19 test”.
- Tata group said it has received approval from the Drug Controller General of India (DCGI) for the commercial launch of the country’s first CRISPR COVID-19 test.
- This test uses an indigenously developed CRISPR technology for the detection of the genomic sequence of SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes COVID-19 disease, Tata Sons said in a statement.
- The Tata CRISPR test is the world’s first diagnostic test to deploy a specially adapted Cas9 protein to successfully detect the virus causing COVID-19, the company said.
- The test achieves accuracy levels of traditional RT-PCR tests, with quicker turnaround time, less expensive equipment, and better ease of use, the company said.
- Moreover, CRISPR is a futuristic technology that can also be configured for detection of multiple other pathogens in the future.
- “The approval for the Tata CRISPR test for COVID-19 will give a boost to the country’s efforts in fighting the global pandemic. The commercialization of the Tata CRISPR test reflects the tremendous R&D talent in the country, which can collaborate to transform India’s contributions to the global healthcare and scientific research world,” TATA Medical and Diagnostics CEO Girish Krishnamurthy added.
Source: Financial Express
“HOCL gets BIS certification for products”.
- Hindustan Organic Chemicals Limited (HOCL), a PSU under the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers has been granted Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) certification for all its products.
- HOCL has been a pioneer in the manufacturing of chemicals since its inception and all its products are widely being accepted, especially in the pharmaceutical industry where there is a requirement of high quality products.
- HOCL is an ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified organisation and below are the details of products having BIS certification:
- License No: CM/L6400101486, IS 538 : 2000 Phenol (Carbolic Acid)
- License No: CM/L6400101789, IS 170 : 2004 Acetone
- License No: CM/L6400101284, IS 2080 : 1980 Stabilized Hydrogen Peroxide
- HOCL is a leader in the chemical industry and has a manufacturing unit at Kochi in Kerala.
- It provides basic organic chemicals essential for vital industries like drugs and pharmaceuticals, resins and laminates, dyes and dyes intermediates, rubber chemicals, paints, pesticides and textile industry, virtually touching every facet of life. It is also manufacturing sanitizers in this period of COVID-19 pandemic.
Source: Indian Chemical News
“AYUSH Ministry and WCD Ministry signs MoU for controlling malnutrition as a part of POSHAN Abhiyaan”.
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD) on September 20, 2020, signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Ministry of AYUSH to join efforts to eradicate malnutrition as a part of POSHAN Abhiyaan.
- Shripad Naik, Minister of State for AYUSH, while speaking on the event mentioned that the integration of the AYUSH Ministry and WCD Ministry will go a long way in eliminating malnutrition, which was one of the main reasons for infant mortality below the age of 5.
- The MoU between both the ministries was signed in the presence of Shripad Naik, Smriti Irani, and Principal Scientific Advisor to the Government of India, Prof. K Vijay Raghavan, among many others.
Source: Jagran josh