Daily GK Update: 21st June 2020
International Yoga Day 2020 LIVE Updates: PM Modi Shares This Year’s Theme – Yoga At Home
- India and the world gear up to celebrate the sixth ‘International Yoga Day’ on Sunday- 21 June 2020. Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation and shared the theme of Yoga Day 2020
- Former Indian cricketers Harbhajan Singh and Mohammad Kaif observed International Yoga Day 2020 as they joined thousands around the globe in performing Yoga on Sunday.
- Themed around ‘Yoga at home, Yoga with family’, the International Yoga Day 2020 was observed in high spirit despite the coronavirus pandemic, as people took the digital route to connect and perform Yoga.
- Taking to Twitter, the former Indian cricketers shared pictures of their family performing Yoga. While former spinner Harbhajan Singh embraced ‘Yoga for life’, Mohammed Kaif urged his fans to fall in love with taking care of oneself.
Source: Republic World
Coronavirus | Drug launched for moderate COVID-19 cases
- Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Limited has announced the introduction of Favipiravir under the brand name FabiFlu in tablet form for the treatment of mild & moderate coronavirus (COVID-19) cases in India.
- Nearly 80% of all COVID-19 positive cases in India are under this category. FabiFlu is India’s first oral antiviral drug for treatment of mild & moderate COVID-19 patients, the company said.
- “It is a significant step in the fight against COVID-19 India. Glenmark is leading the flight. We are not looking it as a business opportunity. The priority is to make the drug available to as many patients and save lives,” said Sujesh Vasudevan, president, India Formulations, Middle East and Africa, Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Limited in a video conference.
Source: The Hindu
World Hydrography Day: 21 June
- Every year the World Hydrography Day is observed on 21 June to make the public aware about the hydrography and the essential role that it plays in everyone’s life.
- The theme for 2020 WHD is “Hydrography – enabling autonomous technologies”.
The United Nations General Assembly accepted a resolution to celebrate World Hydrography Day on every June 21 in 2005.
- The day is organised by the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) since 2006 to publicise the work of hydrographers and the importance of hydrography.
21 June has been chosen for the day as it marks the anniversary of the founding of the International Hydrographic Organization on 21 June 1921.
- Hydrography deals with the study and measurement of the physical features of oceans, seas, coastal areas, rivers and lakes.
Source: By Scoop
More than a 66-million-year-old egg found in Antarctica, scientists finally resolve the mystery behind ‘The Thing’
- Scientists have finally resolved the mystery behind the 66-million-year-old fossil egg found in Antarctica’s Seymour Island. Some estimates also suggest its age to be 68-million-years. The fossil, which looks like a deflated American football, was kept in a Chilean museum and was nicknamed The Thing. After much research and analysis, scientists have said that the egg belongs to an extinct giant sea lizard or snake that lived alongside the dinosaurs.
- According to the researchers, the millions year old fossil egg, measuring 29 cm by 20 cm (8 inches by 11 inches), is the second-largest egg in the world. The first position still remains with the eggs of Madagascar’s extinct giant flightless elephant birds.
- Lucas Legendre, a palaeontologist in the University of Texas said, “This new egg is the very first fossil egg from Antarctica, and the largest soft-shelled egg ever discovered.”
Source: Times of India