Daily GK Update: 21st July 2020
“Zoram Mega Food Park will provide employment to 5,000 people: Harsimrat Kaur Badal”
- Badal virtually inaugurated the Zoram Mega Food Park in the presence of Rameswar Teli, Minister of State for Food Processing Industries and Dr Jitendra Singh, Minister of State for Development of North Eastern Region.
- The Zoram Mega Food Park(MFP) will provide direct and indirect employment to 5,000 persons and benefit about 25,000 farmers in the CPC (Core Processing Centre) and PPC (primary processing Centre) catchment areas,said Union FPI Minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal.
- Ministry has approved the Mega Food Park in the State of Mizoram to give an impetus to the growth of the Food Processing Sector in Mizoram.
- This is the first Mega Food Park operationalized in the State of Mizoram.
Source: DD News
“HRD Minister to launch ‘Manodarpan’ initiative today to provide psychosocial support to students”
- Union Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal will on Tuesday launch ‘Manodarpan’, an initiative under Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan, to provide psychosocial support to students for their mental health and well-being.
- Minister of State for HRD, Secretaries of the Department of Higher Education and the School Education and Literacy, and senior officials of the ministry will also be present on the occasion.
- India’s COVID-19 case tally crossed the 11-lakh mark with the highest single-day spike of 40,425 new cases and 681 deaths reported in the last 24 hours, said the Union Health and Family Welfare Ministry on Monday.
- The total cases in the country now stands at 1,118,043 while the death toll is 27,497.
Source: Hindustan Times
“RK Singh Inaugurates India’s First Public Electric Vehicle Charging Plaza”
- Union Minister for Power, New and Renewable Energy, RK Singh, inaugurated India’s first public Electric Vehicle (EV) charging plaza at Chelmsford Club in the national capital on Monday.
- The charging plaza has been set up with a focus on enhancing energy efficiency and promoting e-mobility.
- This plaza will host 5 EV chargers of different specifications.
- The EV charging plaza is a new avenue for making e-mobility ubiquitous and convenient in India.
Source: Business World
“US carrier Nimitz conducts exercise with Indian Navy en route to Middle East”
- A US Navy carrier strike group, led by USS Nimitz, is conducting basic maritime drills with Indian warships while on its way from South China Sea to deployment in the Middle East.
- Called “Passex” in naval parlance, the basic manoeuvre comes at a time when Indian and China are locked in a tense border confrontation in Ladakh.
- The drills also come amidst mounting tensions in the South China Sea where the US Navy just conducted a major exercise involving USS Nimitz and USS Ronald Reagan.
- “The Passex is nowhere near Andamans and Nicobar Islands.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Madhya Pradesh Governor Lal Ji Tandon Dies At 85”
- Madhya Pradesh Governor Lal Ji Tandon, who was admitted to a hospital in Uttar Pradesh’s Lucknow since last month, has died.
- Lal Ji Tandon, 85, was admitted to Medanta Hospital in Lucknow on June 11 due to breathing problems and other health issues.
- Lal Ji Tandon was the governor of Bihar between August 2018 and July 2019 when he took over as Madhya Pradesh’s Governor.
- In 2009, the senior BJP leader and a protege of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, succeeded him as the Lucknow MP.
“MoD inks contract with BEML for procurement of 1,512 Mine Plough for T-90 tanks”
- With an aim to boost ‘Make in India’ initiative of the Government, Acquisition Wing of Ministry of Defence today signed a Contract with Bharat Earth Movers Limited, BEML for procurement of 1,512 Mine Plough for Tank T-90 S/SK at an approximate cost of Rs. 557 crore.
- The contract has Buy and Make (Indian) categorisation with a minimum of 50 per cent indigenous content in make portion of the contract.
- These mine ploughs will be fitted on T-90 Tanks of Indian Armoured Corps which will facilitate individual mobility to Tanks while negotiating mine field.
- Mobility of Tank Fleet will enhance manifold, which in turn would extend the reach of Armoured Formation deep into enemy territory without becoming mine causality.
Source: News On Air
“CBDT signs MoU with MSME ministry to share data”
- The Income-Tax Department will start sharing data on depreciation, sales and gross turnover of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) as reported in their ITRs with the Union MSME ministry.
- A memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed by Anu J Singh, Principal Director General of Income Tax (Systems), CBDT and Devendra Kumar Singh, Additional Secretary & Development Commissioner, MoMSME.
- The MoU marks the beginning of a new era of cooperation and synergy between the CBDT and MoMSME.
- The CBDT in an order dated July 14 had directed the Principal Director General of Income Tax (Systems) to share information with the MSME Ministry.
“Consumer Protection Act, 2019 comes into force from today, covers e-commerce too”
- The Consumer Protection Act,2019 comes in to force from 20 July, with its salient features including the establishment of the Central Consumer Protection Authority (CCPA) to promote, protect and enforce the rights of consumers.
- Act includes establishment of the Central Consumer Protection Authority and rules for prevention of unfair trade practice by e-commerce platforms.
- Act provides for simplifying the consumer dispute adjudication process and introduces concept of product liability, says Ram Vilas Paswan.
- The new act has been introduced after many amendments to provide protection to buyers not only from traditional sellers but also from the new e-commerce retailers/platforms.
“I-T dept to launch 11-day e-campaign on voluntary compliance”
- The Income Tax Department is going to begin a 11-day e-campaign for taxpayers who have not filed returns or have undertaken undisclosed high-value transactions to voluntarily comply for the financial year 2018-19.
- For this assessment year, all high-value transactions will now be reflected in the Form 26AS for taxpayers.
- The Department will send email/sms to these identified taxpayers to verify the information received from various sources.
- Such as Statement of Financial Transactions (SFT), Tax Deduction at Source (TDS), Tax Collection at Source (TCS), foreign remittances as well as information related to GST, exports, imports and transactions in securities, derivatives, commodities, mutual funds.
Source: The Indian Express
“Odia actor Bijay Mohanty passes away”
- Odia actor Bijay Mohanty died at a private hospital.
- He was suffering from a heart ailment and underwent treatment at Hyderabad, from where he was brought to Bhubaneswar in a special ambulance last month.
- He is survived by his wife Tandra Ray, an actor in the Odia film industry, and daughter Jasmine.
- A host of dignitaries including Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and Union Petroleum and Steel Minister Dharmendra Pradhan mourned Mohanty’s death.
Source: The Indian Express