Daily GK Update: 21st August 2020
“INOX Group becomes sponsor of Indian team for Tokyo Olympics”
- The governing body for the Olympic Movement in India,Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and INOX Group has signed a sponsorship agreement to support Team India for Tokyo Olympics, which was rescheduled to be held from July 23 to August 8, 2021.
- The partnership agreement will further support team India’s promotions through the Group’s entertainment company, Inox Leisure Limited.
- The Inox Group is a diversified Indian conglomerate with activities spanning manufacturing medical and industrial gases, cryogenic equipment, LNG storage and distribution equipment, besides owning multiplex chains.
Source: Daily Hunt
“Tribal Affairs Minister launches “Trifood Project” of TRIFED”
- The Tribal Affairs Ministry launched two tertiary processing centres in Chhattisgarh and Maharashtra to enhance the income of tribal forest gatherers by adding value to non-timber forest products collected by them.
- Tribal Affairs Minister Arjun Munda e-launched the centres under the ”TRIFOOD” project being implemented by Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) in association with the Ministry of Food Processing.
- TRIFED functions under the ministry and is responsible for promoting tribal art and craft, and hand looms.
- Munda said that this project will help in promoting tribal entrepreneurship.
- Pravir Krishna is the Managing Director, TRIFED.
Source: Outlook India
“MoTA partners MoRD to promote sustainable livelihood in Rural India”
- Ministry of Tribal Affairshas signed a joint communication with Ministry of Rural Development to promote sustainable livelihood opportunities.
- Through the joint communication, both ministries will together promote sustainable livelihood opportunities among tribal womenSelf Help Groups (SHGs) under National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM).
- Ministry of Rural Development will identify and map the tribal women SHG members including their individual livelihood assets while Ministry of Tribal Affairs will offer planning support to SRLM to finalize the State Annual Action Plan and include the same in its Livelihood Annual Action Plan.
- The partnership between the two ministries will support the efforts of each other, such as the initiativesof the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and objectives of DAY-NRLM deeply complement each other.
Source: Daily Hunt
“Keith Rowley becomes PM of Trinidad and Tobago for 2nd consecutive term”
- Dr Keith Rowley has been sworn in as the Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago for a second consecutive five-year term on 19 August 2020.
- The 70-year-old Prime Minister Rowley’s ruling People’s National Movement party won 22 out of 41 seats in the House of Representatives in August 10 election to form the government.
- He is serving as Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago since 9 September 2015.
“Atal Innovation Mission signed SoI with Business Sweden”
- A virtual Statement of Intent (SoI) was signed between AIM and India-Sweden Healthcare Innovation Centre
- Under AIM, various programmes or initiatives are being run such as Atal New India Challenge (ANIC), Atal Incubation Centre (AIC), Atal Community Innovation Centers (ACIC), Atal Tinkering Lab (ATL) and Atal Research & Innovation for Small Enterprises (ARISE).
- Through this collaboration, these initiatives are set to receive support by the means of conducting programs, awareness campaigns, various activities and events that would promote the overall innovation grid of both the countries through these programmes.
- India-Sweden Healthcare Innovation Centre is collaboration between AIIMS Delhi, AIIMS Jodhpur and Business Sweden.
Source: Economic Times
“MeitY launches “Swadeshi Microprocessor Challenge””
- “Swadeshi Microprocessor Challenge– Innovate Solutions for #Aatmanirbhar Bharat”has been launched by the Union Minister of Law & Justice, Communications and Electronics & Information Technology, Ravi Shankar Prasad.
- t aims to invite innovators, startups and students to use two microprocessors namely “SHAKTI(32 bit) and VEGA (64 bit)” to develop various technology products.
- SHAKTI & VEGA microprocessors have been developed by IIT Madrasand Center for Development of Advance Computing (CDAC)
- The Swadeshi Microprocessor Challenge will provide momentum to the strong ecosystem of Start-up, innovation as well as research in India.
- The challenge has been made open to students at all levels and start-ups.
Source: Daily Hunt
“Former Indian cricketer Gopalaswamy Kasturirangan passes away”
- Veteran cricketer Gopalaswamy Kasturirangan passed away due to heart attack at his residence
- Kasturirangan, 89, was a former cricketer-administrator and the BCCI curator.
- He had mostly played his matches for Mysore in Ranji Trophy as the right-arm medium pace bowler from 1948 to 1963
- Karnataka State Cricket Association, deeply regret the sad and sudden demise of former Ranji Player, Vice President of KSCA and BCCI Curator Sri G Kasturirangan.”
- The Association said Kasturirangan had represented the then “MYSORE” team in the Ranji Trophy match in the year 1948-49 to 1962-63 for Karnataka.
“Harsh Vardhan launches game on COVID-19 “The Corona Fighters””
- Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan has launched an interactive first-of-its-kind game on COVID-19, the Corona Fighters.
- The Minister also launched two new videos urging adherence to key COVID Appropriate Behaviours.
- Speaking on the occasion, Dr. Harsh Vardhan said that the game presents a new and extremely creative way to teach people the right tools and behaviours to fight the Covid-19 pandemic.
- He stated that the game was designed to influence the players’ actions in the real world, reminding them to take the right precautions and escape infection.
- He said that till a vaccine is ready for fighting COVID-19, the COVID appropriate behaviours will serve as a potent social vaccine and keep everyone protected and safe.
“Santosh Gangwar launches official Logo of “Labour Bureau””
- Shri Santosh Kumar Gangwar, Minister of State (I/C) for Labour and Employment launched the official logo of Labour Bureau on 20 August 2020.
- The newly launched logo represents the three goals of Labour Bureau to produce quality data which are Accuracy, Validity and Reliability, thus signifying that Labour Bureau is a data based organization dealing in data related to workers and work.
- Blue wheel: It is a cog wheel representing work. Blue colour signifies that we deal with blue collar workers.
- Graph: It is not going upwards alone as in real world data has ups & downs because it captures ground reality.
- Tricolored Graph: The graph matches with the colors of the National flag, along with wheat ears, signifying the fruit of rural agricultural labour.
“Google launches ‘Kormo’ app in India to help people find jobs”
- Google announced that it has launched a separate app for job seekers in India called the Kormo Jobs app.
- The search giant aims to provide jobs to thousands of people who have lost their jobs during the corona virus and young professionals who are looking for jobs.
- The platform launched by Google aims at providing entry-level jobs.
- Google had launched Kormo Jobs in Bangladesh in 2018 and then in Indonesia.
- Google in its blog revealed that ever since the platform was launched companies like Zomato and Dunzo had posted over 2 million jobs on the platform.
Source: India Today