Daily GK Update: 20th June 2020
Narendra Modi launches ‘Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyan’ for migrant workers
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday, June 20, 2020, launched an employment scheme for migrant workers, saying that during the coronavirus (COVID-19) lockdown the talent from cities returned to villages and it will now give a boost to development in rural areas.
- Launching the ‘Garib Kalyan Rozgar Abhiyaan’, Mr. Modi said there are some people who might not appreciate efforts of villagers in the fight against coronavirus but he applauds them for their efforts. The way villages have fought coronavirus has taught a big lesson to the cities, he added.
- Talent has returned from cities during the lockdown, those whose labour and skills were behind the rapid growth of cities will now boost development of villages with the help of this scheme, he said.
Source: The Hindu
Govt launches portal to promote R&D in mining, mineral sector
- The mines ministry on Friday announced the launch of a portal “SATYABHAMA” with an aim to promote research and development in the mining and minerals sector.
- This portal will allow online submission of project proposals along with monitoring of the same and utilisation of funds.
- “Union Minister for Coal, Mines and Parliamentary Affairs Pralhad Joshi launched SATYABHAMA (Science and Technology Yojana for Aatmanirbhar Bharat in Mining Advancement) Portal for Science and Technology Programme Scheme of Ministry of Mines on June 15, 2020,” the ministry said in a statement.
- The portal has been designed, developed and implemented by National Informatics Centre (NIC), Mines Informatics Division.
- At the launch, Joshi emphasised the role of digital technologies in promoting research and development in the mining and mineral sector in the country.
Source: Outlook India
World Refugee Day 2020: “Every Action Counts”, All Lives Matter
- World Refugee Day, international observance observed June 20 each year, is dedicated to raising awareness of the situation of refugees throughout the world. Devastating conflicts and persecution uproot thousands of people from their homes and countries every year. According to the United Nations, every minute, 20 people are forced to leave behind everything, and escape conflict and war.
- The theme of World Refugee Day this year is “every action counts.” Everyone can make a difference, says the world body and it is the responsibility of each one of us to make sure that no one is left behind. The focus is to bring about changes to make the world more inclusive.
India will be UN Security Council President for August, 2021
- India, which has been elected as a non-permanent member of the Security Council, will serve as the president of the powerful 15-nation UN body for the month of August, 2021. The presidency of the Council is held by each of the members in turn for one month, following the English alphabetical order of the member states’ names.
- According to the information released by the office of the UN spokesperson, India will assume the rotating presidency of the Council for the month of August next year. India will preside over the Council again for a month in 2022.
- India, Norway, Ireland, Mexico and Kenya were elected as the non-permanent members of the UNSC for a two-year term beginning January 1, 2021 on Wednesday.
Source: The Economic Times
COVID-19 recovery rate reaches 55.49 per cent in the country
- The Union Government today said that the recovery rate reached to 55.49 per cent in the country and a total of 2,27,756 people affected with the Coronavirus have been cured so far.
- During the last 24 hours, 13,925 people have recovered from COVID-19. Presently, the total number of active Corona cases in the country is 1,69,451.
- The Health and Family Welfare Ministry said a total of 15,413 new cases of COVID-19 have been reported in the last 24 hours taking the total number of cases to 4,10,461. This is the highest number of cases registered in a single day since the outbreak of COVID-19 in the country.
- In one day, a total of 306 deaths have been reported taking the nationwide toll to 13,254. With this, the case fatality rate reached 3.22 per cent in the country.
- Meanwhile, Indian Council of Medical Research, ICMR said that a total of 1,90,730 tests of Coronavirus samples were conducted by the various laboratories in the country within 24 hours.
Source: All India Radio
Scheme of Special Micro-Credit Facility launched for Street Vendors – Striving towards Atmanirbhar Bharat
- A Memorandum of Understanding has been signed between Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs and Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI), here today, in order to engage SIDBI as the Implementation Agency for PM Street Vendor’s AtmaNirbhar Nidhi (PM SVANidhi) – a Special Micro-Credit Facility for Street Vendors. The MoU was signed by Shri Sanjay Kumar, Joint Secretary on behalf of Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) and Shri V. Satya Venkata Rao, Deputy Managing Director, SIDBI, in the presence of Shri Hardeep S. Puri, Hon’ble Minister of State (Independent Charge) MoHUA.
- As per the MoU terms, SIDBI will implement the PM SVANidhi Scheme under the guidance of MoHUA. It will also manage the credit guarantee to the lending institutions through Credit Guarantee Fund Trust for Micro and Small Enterprises (CGTMSE). It will develop and maintain a customized and integrated IT Platform providing end-to-end solutions, including documentation of all the processes and workflows for an end-to-end solution, through a Portal and a Mobile App, to ensure engagement and information flow between Urban Local Bodies (ULBs), Lending Institutions, Digital Payment Aggregators and other stakeholders.
Source: Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs
JSW Cement ropes in Sourav Ganguly and Sunil Chhetri as brand ambassadors; to roll out ‘Leader’s Choice’ campaign
- Cement brand, JSW Cement has roped in former cricketer and current president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), Sourav Ganguly as well as captain of the Indian national football team and Bengaluru FC, Sunil Chhetri as its brand ambassadors. The company is also rolling out its new multi-media marketing campaign ‘Leader’s Choice’ featuring both these sports icons on June 20th across West Bengal, Bihar and Odisha.
- According to the company, the Leader’s Choice campaign is based on the philosophy of building a solid foundation for a better tomorrow. The ‘Leader’s Choice’ campaign resonates with the life choices of the modern Indian who builds his own house, leads by example and thus is a ‘Leader’ in his own right, Parth Jindal, managing director, JSW Cement. “With Sourav Ganguly and Sunil Chhetri on board, both of whom are ‘Leaders’ who have led India to success on international platforms, we look forward to conveying our brand journey,” he added on the association.
Source: Financial Express
Sports Ministry to establish 1000 district-level Khelo India centers to engage past champions in training
- Government has decided to establish 1000 Khelo India Centers (KIC) at the district level across the country. These centers will either be run by a past champion or have them as coaches. The move is to tap into the expertise of past sporting champions for grassroot-level training of athletes and also to ensure a sustained source of income for them in the sports ecosystem.
- The decision, while strengthening grassroot level sports, will also ensure that past champions can contribute in making India a sporting superpower while earning a livelihood from sports. Speaking about this decision, Union Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju said, as the government strives to make India a sporting superpower, one of the things we have to ensure is that sports becomes a viable career option for youngsters.
- He said the Centre wants to ensure that anyone who has played sport at the national level has a life of dignity and financial stability. A shortlisting mechanism has been put in place to identify past champions who are eligible to either establish their own academy or work as a coach in a KIC. To build the country-wide network of Khelo India Centres, existing SAI extension centres will be given the option of converting into a KIC and recruiting a past champion to avail the financial grant under the scheme.
Source: All India Radio
Veteran economist B.P.R. Vithal passes away at 93
- B.P.R. Vithal, former IAS officer of the 1950 batch, passed away here early on Friday. He was 93.
- He is survived by wife Seshu, daughter Nivedita Kumar, sons Sanjaya Baru and Chaitanya Baru.
- Mr. Sanjaya Baru was adviser to former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
- Mr. Vithal was Secretary, Finance and Planning, government of Andhra Pradesh, from 1972 to 1982 and Deputy Chairman, State Planning Board, and Member, Tenth Finance Commission. He was also Chairman, Expenditure Commission, government of Kerala. He had a brief stint at the International Monetary Fund as fiscal adviser to the governments of Sudan and Malawi. He established the Centre for Economic and Social Studies, Hyderabad.
- In 1942, Mr. Vithal quit his under-graduate studies at Nizam College, Hyderabad, attended the Quit India session of the Indian National Congress in Mumbai and involved himself in the national movement. On Gandhiji’s advice, written on a postcard that Mr. Vithal preserved with care, he returned to his studies at Chennai where he was the first Indian president of the MCC students’ union to fly the Indian tricolor.
Source: The Hindu
BP to set up major new global business services centre in Pune
- New centre will employ around 2000 people and will support digital innovation across BP globally.
- The centre is expected to begin operations by January 2021 and will provide business processing and advanced analytics capabilities in support of bp businesses worldwide.
- The new centre in India will assume operational ownership of third-party business processes and seek to further extend its work with analytics and data science capabilities to pursue better business outcomes.
- India is a growing market with growing digital talent pool. The new centre in India will allow bp to tap into this pool and will lead bp’s development and application of cutting-edge digital solutions.
- Welcoming this development, Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas &Steel Dharmendra Pradhan said, “I welcome bp’s move to establish a major new global business services centre in Pune.
Source: DD News
Former RBI Governor Urjit Patel named NIPFP chairman
- Former Reserve Bank governor Urjit Patel will take charge as chairman of the National Institute of Public Finance and Policy (NIPFP) from June 22, the economic think tank said on Friday. Patel will replace Vijay Kelkar, who assumed office on November 1, 2014 “National Institute of Public Finance and Policy is privileged to have Dr. Urjit Patel, former Reserve Bank Governor, as its Chairperson for a four-year term commencing June 22, 2020,” the economic think tank said in a statement.
- “NIPFP records its deep sense of appreciation and gratitude for the significant contributions made by the outgoing Chairman, Dr. Vijay Laxman Kelkar during his tenure which has immensely helped the institute towards scaling to its present level of growth and effectiveness,” it added.
Source: Hindustan Times