Daily GK Update: 20th July 2020
“UAE launches ‘Hope’ mission to Mars from Japan’s space center”
- The United Arab Emirates launched its first-ever interplanetary Hope Probe mission to Mars from Japan’s Tanegashima Space Centre.
- The spacecraft is expected to reach Mars orbit in about 200 days from now and then begin its mission to study the Red Planet`s atmosphere, WAM news agency reported.
- Once it enters Mar’s orbit in the first quarter of 2021, the Hope probe will mark the UAE`s 50th anniversary.
- The probe will travel 493 million kilometres.
Source: Zee News
“#WorldChessDay: Here are four of the finest chess players ever”
- 20th July is observed as World Chess Day across the world.
- This day is observed to commemorate the establishment of the International Chess Federation (FIDE), the governing body for chess, in Paris in 1924.
- There are four iconic chess players in the world.
- Bobby Fischer, Garry Kasparov, Viswanathan Anand, and Magnus Carlsen are the world’s best chess players.
“Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath launches employment scheme for SC”
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has launched ‘Navin Rojgar Chhatri Yojana’ for all-round development of the Scheduled Castes.
- He transferred financial assistance of Rs 17.42 crore online to 3,484 people under the ‘Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay Swarojgar Yojana’ and interacted with some beneficiaries from Rae Bareli, Gorakhpur, Basti, Meerut, Azamgarh and Moradabad districts.
- Economic equality becomes the basis of social equality.
- The society with one of its sections becoming strong while another remaining weak will not be able to become self reliant.
Source: Deccan Herald
“Union Health Minister launches ‘Plasma Donation Campaign’ at AIIMS”
- In an endeavour to encourage people who recently recovered from Covid-19 to come forward and donate their plasma for saving lives of critical patents, Union Minister for health & Family Welfare Dr Harsh Vardhan launched ‘Plasma Donation Campaign’ in association with Delhi Police at All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).
- In this war against COVID-19, corona warriors have played an important role.
- In Delhi, 2,532 police coronavirus warriors have been affected and some even lost their lives.
- To ensure safety against the virus, several attempts are being made.
“Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman Attends 3rd G20 Finance Ministers And Central Bank Governors Meeting”
- Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman participated in the 3rd G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors (FMCBG) meeting.
- The Finance Minister, in the first session of the meeting, talked about the G20 Action Plan in response to COVID-19 which was endorsed by the G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors in their previous meeting on 15th April 2020.
- This G20 Action Plan lays out a list of collective commitments under the pillars of Health Response, Economic Response, Strong and Sustainable Recovery and International Financial Coordination.
- Sitharaman emphasized that it is crucial to ensure that this action plan remains relevant and effective.
Source: Business Standard
“Bollywood director Rajat Mukherjee dies in Jaipur”
- Filmmaker Rajat Mukherjee, best known for directing Manoj Bajpayee-starrer “Road” and romantic thriller “Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya”, passed away due to kidney ailments.
- Producer Anish Ranjan, a close friend of Mukherjee’s, said the director breathed his last in Jaipur, where he had gone to be with his family for Holi but got stuck when the coronavirus-induced nationwide lockdown was announced.
- Ranjan said the director had developed breathing issues over a month ago and had gone to get a COVID-19 test done, when the doctors realised that his “sodium potassium levels” were imbalanced.
- He was on dialysis and had come back to his house.
Source: Deccan Chronicle
“Former Chelsea Forward And World Cup Winner Andre Schurrle Retires At 29”
- Ex-Chelsea attacker and Borussia Dortmund forward Andre Schurrle has announced his retirement from professional football at the age of just 29.
- Earlier this week the German World Cup winner’s contract at Borussia Dortmund was terminated a year early.
- He made 33 Bundesliga appearances across two seasons for the club.
- The 29-year-old footballer posted a black and white picture of him lifting the World Cup and said he was open for the new future possibilities.
“CIPET gets NABL accreditation for testing, certification of PPE kits”
- The central government has announced that Central Institute of Petrochemicals Engineering and Technology’s (CIPET) unit in Bhubaneshwar, Odisha has received NABL accreditation to test and certify Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) kit.
- In line with the International Standards, PPE kit includes coverall, masks, face shields and goggles, and the triple-layer medical masks among others.
- These products have been mentioned as a tool to fight against COVID-19.
- The Chemical and Fertilizer Ministry released a statement mentioning this as another achievement for CIPET in the fight against COVID-19 and a step towards Atmanirbhar Bharat.
Source: Jagran Josh
“Covid-19: AIIMS New Delhi’s starts e-ICU video consultation with doctors”
- AIIMS New Delhi has started a video consultation program for doctors treating Covid-19 patients in different parts of India.
- As part of the e-ICU initiative, 43 big hospitals have been covered in 11 states so far.
- The program aims at holding case-management discussions among doctors who are at the frontline in treating COVID-19 patients in hospitals and COVID facilities around the country.
- Physicians who manage COVID-19 patients including those in the ICUs can raise queries, present their experience and share knowledge with other physicians and experts from AIIMS, New Delhi on this video platform.
“CSIR-CMERI Durgapur Unveils COVID Protection System For Workplace”
- CSIR-CMERI, Durgapur, unveiled the COVID Protection System (COPS) for workplace in the current COVID-19 pandemic scenario.
- According to an official from the institute, the system can be utilised by organisations as healthcare workers and frontline security guards are vulnerable to COVID-19 through infected individuals and contaminated objects.
- CSIR-CMERI is also focused upon developing products Made in India, which will consequently boost the Atma-Nirbhar Bharat flagship initiative of the Government of India.
- The COPS is a conglomeration of Solar Based Intelligent Mask.