Daily GK Update: 20th January 2020
186 agri products testing laboratories set up by APEDA: Government
- The government on Monday said the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) has added 135 laboratories to existing 51 recognized laboratories to enable exporters have an easy access to the laboratories for testing of exports.
- “With this initiative APEDA recognition of laboratories has reached 186 laboratories across the country,” commerce and industry ministry said in a release.
- The number of laboratories have increased in states, it said. This includes 35 in Maharashtra, 23 in Gujarat, 10 in Andhra Pradesh & Telangana, 23 in Tamil Nadu and 17 in Karnataka. Laboratory testing requirements are crucial in agri export supply chain.
Source: The Economic Times
Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad to inaugurate NIC TechConclave 2020
- The Union Minister for Law & Justice, Communications and Electronics & Information Technology, Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad to inaugurate the 2nd edition of ‘NIC TechConclave 2020’, a two-day event being organized by the National Informatics Centre (NIC), at Pravasi Bhartiya Kendra, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi tomorrow. The Secretary – MeitY, Shri Ajay Sawhney and the President, CISCO (India and SAARC), Shri Sameer Garde will also grace the occasion.
- This year’s theme is ‘Technologies for NextGen Governance’.
- The NIC has been instrumental in steering application of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) at various levels in the Government.
Source: Ministry of Electronics & IT
Coronavirus: Govt issues advisory, screens flyers from Wuhan to prevent China virus
- Novel coronavirus outbreak: To ensure all round safety, the Health ministry has written to the Civil Aviation ministry to allow thermal screening of passengers arriving from China including Hong Kong at international airports situated in Bengaluru, Chennai, Cochin, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata and Mumbai. Thermal screening at international airports will be initiated today according to the official press release. This request was made in keeping with the guidelines issued by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
- The guidelines expressly state that the airlines departing from China and landing in India have to manage and notify anyone reporting illness on flights. The aviation ministry also instructed the airlines to issue in-flight announcements regarding the same.
Source: Business Today
Kejriwal Guarantee Card launched: AAP promises 24×7 drinking water supply, free buses, women safety
- AAP manifesto 2020: Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has launched the ‘Kejriwal ka Guarantee Card’. In his guarantee card, Kejriwal has guaranteed free bus services for students and 24 hours drinking water supply. ,”In the coming 5 years we will ensure 24 hours drinking water supply to every household. Students will be given free bus services,” said Kejriwal ahead of the Delhi assembly elections.
- The Chief Minister also promised basic facilities for unauthorised colonies in the city and to reduce Delhi air pollution by three times. “We will plant more than two crore trees to make Delhi green,” states the Kejriwal Guarantee Card.
Source: Business Today
1 trillion USD required to achieve UN’s Decarbonization Target of Shipping Industry
- According to a study,at least $1 trillion of investment in new fuel technology is needed to enable the shipping industry to meet U.N. targets for cuts in carbon emissions by 2050.
- According to the United Nations,the global shipping industry accounts for around 90% of world trade which happen at sea.But it also emits around 2.2% of the world’s carbon dioxide emissions.
- However,reducing shipping emissions is ambitious and challenging as the shipping sector plays a major role in the growth of the economy.
- Hence, in 2018,the International Maritime Organization has adopted a resolution to reduce the shipping industry’s greenhouse gas emissions by 50 percent from 2008 levels by 2050.
- To achieve this,the shipping industry will require the swift development of zero or low-emission fuels and new ship designs using cleaner technology.
Gujarat ranked top for water efficiency, Delhi among worst performing states
- Gujarat has been ranked the best for parameters on efficiency targets in the review of state and Central government water departments by the ministry of Jal Shakti. Rajasthan is the third best and Delhi is among the worst performing states, according to the ranking for 2019 circulated to different state governments recently.
- Among the seven Central departments reviewed, the Survey of India has got the top billing followed by the National Institute of Hydrology (NIH) and Central Water Commission. The Central Pollution Control Board, the country’s pollution watchdog, has got the lowest rank, in the ranking for the year 2019.
Source: Hindustan Times
Government reconstitutes GoM on sexual harassment at workplace
- The government has reconstituted the Group of Ministers looking after the issues of how to prevent sexual harassment at workplace and strengthen legal frameworks with Home Minister Amit Shah replacing his predecessor Rajnath Singh, officials said.
- The other members of the reconstituted GoM are: Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ and Women and Child Development Minister Smriti Irani.
- Apart from Singh, who is now the defence minister, the GoM in the last government, had then External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and then Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi as its members.
Source: The Economic Times
India, Sri Lanka seek closer military ties as China clout grows
- India’s NSA Ajit Doval met Saturday with recently elected Sri Lanka President Gotabaya Rajapaksa and discussed setting up a maritime research coordination centre.
- The meeting followed Rajapaksa’s visit to New Delhi in late November for talks with PM Modi, who offered $450 mn in aid to Sri Lanka.
National Immunisation Day to be held on March 10
- The government has finally put to rest the uncertainty over the National Immunisation Day.
- The next round of National Immunisation Day (NID) is going to be held on March 10, Preeti Sudan, Secretary, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare told Business Today.
- According to Sudan, there is no shortage of polio vaccine and the government has already secured the required quantity of bivalent Oral Polio Vaccine (bOPV) for the programme.
Source: Business Today
NMCG Conserves Wetlands In Ganga Basin Under ‘Namami Gange’ Program
- The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) under its ‘Namami Gange’ program has taken up an initiative to conserve the wetlands in Ganga River Basin.
- Deoria Tal, one of the high altitude wetlands in Uttarakhand is a wonderful scenic beauty. There are many such wetlands, that are highly productive ecosystems supporting rich biodiversity that protect the environment in various ways including supply of water, aiding in its purification and waste assimilation.
- The wetlands play a crucial role in recharging groundwater, increasing the base flow of rivers and helping in erosion control. Several wetlands on the Ganga basins are home to key flora and fauna, including migratory species.
Source: Republic World
India successfully test-fires K-4 Ballistic Missile
- India has successfully fired 3500 kilometer strike range nuclear capable submarine launched K-4 ballistic missile off coast in Andhra Pradesh. The missile under development by DRDO will be equipped on indigenous INS Arihant class nuclear powered submarines of Navy.
- The missile test-firing to a range of around 1,500 km was carried out from an underwater platform in the sea early in the morning today, sources said. The nuclear triad includes capability to launch nuclear weapons from air, surface and underwater platforms and the submarine launched capability is considered to be the strongest and best for the task.
Source: India Today