Daily GK Update: 1st July 2020
National Doctor’s Day is being celebrated
- The theme of this year’s Doctors Day is ‘Lessen the mortality of COVID 19’. The day is to thank the medical professionals who treat the health of the patients above theirs and offer round the clock services.
- The first National Doctor’s day was celebrated in July 1991. In India, this day marks the birth as well as the death anniversary of Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy. He was one of the most renowned physicians in India and former Chief Minister of West Bengal. This year, West Bengal Government has declared a State holiday on the occasion.
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu on Wednesday paid tributes to legendary physician and former Chief Minister of West Bengal Dr. B.C. Roy on Doctor’s Day. In a tweet, Naidu said, Dr B C Roy made invaluable contribution to the development of medical field in India.
- The Vice President extended greetings and good wishes to doctors across the nation for their selfless service to humanity. He said, in times of grave health emergencies like the current COVID pandemic, the doctors of the country have always bravely donned the mantle of being the frontline warriors. He called upon the countrymen to pledge the unconditional support to the dedicated members of the medical fraternity and express the deepest gratitude and respect to them.
Source: DD News
DST-SERB in collaboration with INSA launches photo & film competition with the theme “Science through My Eyes”
- Indian National Science Academy (INSA) and Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) is organising a photo/painting and a one-minute-film competition. The competition aims to help people go beyond their discipline and see, understand, and appreciate science around them. A critical look will help in fostering and promoting the scientific spirit, interest in research and will encourage creative abilities.
- The theme for the competition is ‘Science through My Eyes.’ Any suitable sub-theme under this main theme may be chosen. Some examples of sub-themes are science in the lab, kitchen, sports, hospital, at home, or at work. The creation may include any work in the above forms related to the COVID 19 virus, healthy life, geo-heritage, health, fascinating space, and any sub-theme covered under the main theme ‘Science through My Eyes.’
Source: Ministry of Science & Technology
India, World Bank sign loan agreements for housing sector in Tamil Nadu
- The legal agreements were signed for two projects – $200 million First Tamil Nadu Housing Sector Strengthening Programme and $50 million Tamil Nadu Housing and Habitat Development Project – to strengthen the state’s housing sector policies, institutions, and regulations.
- The $200 million First Tamil Nadu Housing Sector Strengthening Programme supports the government’s ongoing efforts to increase the availability of affordable housing by gradually shifting the role of the state from being the main provider to an enabler. It will also aim to unlock regulatory barriers and incentivise private sector participation in affordable housing for low-income families.
- The loan agreements were signed by Sameer Kumar Khare, Additional Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance on behalf of the Government of India and Junaid Kamal Ahmad, Country Director (India) on behalf of the World Bank. Whereas, the project agreements were signed by Hitesh Kumar S. Makwana, Principal Resident Commissioner, on behalf of the Government of Tamil Nadu and Junaid Kamal Ahmad on behalf of the World Bank.
Source: DD News
Swiggy ties up with ICICI Bank, launches digital wallet ‘Swiggy Money’
- Food aggregator Swiggy has launched its own digital wallet called ‘Swiggy Money’ in partnership with ICICI Bank. With the wallet, the food delivery platform is aiming to provide single-click checkout experience to its customers.
- “Users choosing ‘Swiggy Money’ can avail instant refunds and use the money for easy checkouts and hassle-free payment processing on future food orders,” the company said in a statement.
- Anand Agrawal, VP Products, Swiggy said, “Along with a host of existing payment options offered to consumers, Swiggy Money will ensure seamless and swift transactions on food orders by minimising hassles such as lengthy payment procedures or payment failures resulting in improved customer experience.”
Source: The Statesman
Iceland president re-elected with 92% of vote
- Iceland’s President Gudni Johannesson has been re-elected with a whopping 92 percent of the vote, according to final results released on Sunday.
- The former history professor won his second four-year term in the largely symbolic position in Saturday’s vote, the second election held by a European country after coronavirus lockdowns were lifted.
- Since suffering spectacular bank failures in 2008, the volcanic North Atlantic island of 365,000 inhabitants has recovered some economic and political stability, which worked in the 52-year-old independent’s favour.
- The final results showed he took 92.2 percent of the 168,821 votes cast, crushing rightwing challenger Gudmundur Franklin Jonsson.
Source: Barrons News
Lt. Col. Bharat Pannu creates history by securing a podium place at the first edition of Virtual Race Across America
- He is an Army officer posted with Army’s Aviation Test Team. The Race Across America (RAAM) is a 5000 km transcontinental race from the West coast to East coast of the United States of America with a cut-off time of 12 days.
- This year, the organizers had to cancel the event due to the ongoing pandemic and came up with a virtual format for the race. The race saw participation of 17 ultra-endurance cyclists from around the world, of which only 9 could successfully complete the grueling race.
- Lt. Col. Pannu finished 3rd on the leaderboard with a total distance of 4086 km in 12 days and total cumulative elevation gain of 71,000 meters.
Source: DD News
India-Bangladesh form 50:50 Joint Venture Company for LPG business in Bangladesh
- India and Bangladesh today signed an agreement for the formation of a 50:50 Joint Venture Company (JVC)
- The agreement was signed between the IOC Middle East FZE, Dubai, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) and RR Holdings Ltd., Ras Al Khaimah, UAE, the holding company of Beximco LPG of Bangladesh. More from our Dhaka correspondent:
- The new Joint venture company set up today takes further the ‘neighbourhood first’ policy of the government of India.
- The energy cooperation between India and Bangladesh has made big strides in the recent times.
- The new Joint venture is another step in the same direction. The Joint Venture Company will help reduce the cost of imprt of LPG and make it more affordable for the consumers in Bangladesh.
- The LPG market in Bangladesh is fast expanding and the new project will draw upon the strengths of the Indian oil and Beximco in their respective areas.
- The company plans to diversify into LPG export to the north eastern states of India from Bangladesh which will prove to be a win win situation for both the countries.
Source: All India Radio
Karnataka govt launches portal to connect job seekers and employers
- Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa on Monday launched ‘Skill Connect Forum’, a portal that connects job seekers with employers on a common platform.
- “An unemployed person will be imparted a skill and then enabled to get a job,” the Skill Development, Entrepreneurship and Livelihood department said in a statement, attributing it to the chief minister.
- The initiative comes even as the state continues to reel under the economic uncertainty and acute fund crunch due to the covid-19 induced lockdown that has resulted in job losses across the state and country.
- The state government has been trying to introduce amendments to key industrial and labour laws as part of its efforts to improve ease of doing business and attract investors in the hope that it would generate employment.
Source: Live Mint
Ex-RBI governor Rangarajan gets lifetime achievement award on Stats Day
- Former Reserve Bank of India governor C Rangarajan was on Monday conferred with the lifetime achievement award for his contribution to statistics on the occasion of Statistics Day.
- In his acceptance speech, Rangarajan highlighted the importance of credibility of official statistics.
- Besides heading RBI and the Prime Minister’s Advisory Council, Rangarajan was chairman of the National Statistical Commission, set up in 2000 to review the statistical system.
- Speaking on the occasion, chairman of the Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister, Bibek Debroy, said Covid-19 has raised the issue of paucity of government expenditure and the need for its re-prioritization towards the health sector
Source: Business Standard
Maharashtra launches Project Platina, ‘world’s largest’ plasma therapy trial for COVID-19 patients; all you need to know
- The Maharashtra government launched Project Platina, touted to be the world’s largest plasma therapy trial for treatment of coronavirus patients with severe symptoms.
- It’s a significant decision seeing Maharashtra is the worst-affected state by the COVID-19 pandemic and currently accounts for nearly 1.7 lakh confirmed patients.
In the absence of a vaccine or drugs of proven effectiveness against the novel coronavirus, convalescent plasma therapy has emerged as a prominent treatment method. The project aims to boost the chances of survival of serious COVID-19 patients by providing free plasma therapy at 21 government-run centres in Maharashtra, including four in Mumbai.
- “It will be world’s largest trial cum treatment project, where in we intend to benefit and save around 500 lives of critically ill COVID-19 patients of Maharashtra. The donors are available in large numbers,” the state government had said in a press statement.
Source: First Post
Chairman’s Statement of the 36th ASEAN Summit
- The Heads of State/Government of ASEAN Member States, gathered for the 36th ASEAN Summit on 26 June 2020. Under the theme of Cohesive and Responsive ASEAN in 2020, we underscored the need to enhance ASEAN’s unity, cooperation and solidarity, economic integration, ASEAN awareness and identity, and emphasized the importance of promoting ASEAN pro-activeness and capacity in seizing opportunities as well as in addressing the challenges brought about by rapid changes in the regional and global landscape.
- We recognized the unprecedented challenges posed by the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic in the region and the world. We noted with grave concerns the human cost and socio-economic impacts of COVID-19 and reaffirmed our commitment to implementing targeted policies to assure our peoples that ASEAN is at the forefront of this critical battle and future crises.
Source: Asean EN
Madhya Pradesh launches ‘Hamara Ghar-Hamara Vidyalaya’ campaign
- In Madhya Pradesh, the school bell will be ringing in the houses of the state too from July 6. Children will read, perform yoga, write and listen to stories and make notes on them.
- In order to maintain the academic regularity of students during the Corona crisis, the State Education Center has prepared a ‘Hamara Ghar-Hamara Vidyalaya’ means My Home-My school scheme, in which children will be taught at home in a school-like environment.
Source: All India Radio
India’s AI enabled MyGov Corona Helpdesk bagged two awards at Global Leadership Summit
- AI enabled MyGov Corona Helpdesk bagged two awards under categories (1) “Best Innovation for Covid-19 – Society” and (2) “People’s Choice Covid-19 Overall Winner”, at the recently held CogX 2020, which is a prestigious Global Leadership Summit and Festival of AI & Emerging Technology held annually in London.The awards were won by Technical Partner of Mygov, JioHaptik Technologies Limited.
- MyGov is the world’s largest citizen engagement platform, which facilitates two-ways communication between the Government and Citizen and facilitates participatory governance in India, the world’s largest democracy. In the fight against Covid-19, MyGov, JioHaptik Technologies Limited and WhatsApp team collaborated to develop AI enabled MyGov Corona Helpdesk in the record time of 5 days including weekend.
- MyGov Corona Helpdesk demonstrated the true Public, Private and Public Partnership (PPPP), wherein, Citizen centric services were provided by MyGov, the state-of-the-art technological solution including infrastructure were designed, developed, and deployed by JioHaptik Technologies Limited, and ideas given by public were factored-in on daily basis to improve the services and solution.
Source: Ministry of Electronics & IT