Daily GK Update: 1st December 2019
DPIIT invites applications for first ever National Startup Awards 2020
- The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) under the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry has announced institution of first ever National Startup Awards.
- The award was launched by Piyush Goyal, Union Minister for Commerce and Industry and Railways.
- The applications for the awards are open till 31 December 2019.
World AIDS Day is observed on 1 December
- World AIDS Day is observed on 1 December every year. The day aims to raise public awareness about AIDS. The day aims to motivate the people who are infected by the fatal disease.
- The theme of the 2019 World AIDS Day is Communities Makes The difference. The theme provides an opportunity to recognize the essential role that communities have played and continue to play in the AIDS response at the local, national and international levels.
- Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) is a pandemic disease that is caused due to the infection of the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV). HIV causes damage to the immune system.
Thailand elected as a member of the World Heritage Committee
- Thailand has been elected as a member of the World Heritage Committee. It was selected during the 22nd session of the General Assembly of States Parties to the World Heritage Convention in Paris. The representatives from 193 countries cast their votes to fill nine vacant seats on the 21-member World Heritage Committee.
- With this selection, it will be the fourth time Thailand has served on the World Heritage Committee. The term would end in 2023. Also, the committee will reconsider Bangkok’s proposed listing of the Kaeng Krachan Forest Complex and also Phu Phrabat Historical Park in 2020.
Mukesh Ambani ranked as the 9th richest person in the world
- Reliance Industries (RIL) chief Mukesh Ambani ranked as the 9th richest person globally in the Real-Time Billionaires List of Forbes. His net worth was $60 billion.
- Ambani made it to the daily list of the top 10 richest people in the world because of the increase in the share price of his flagship firm Reliance Industries. Also, he became the first Indian firm to hit the Rs.10 lakh crore market valuation mark.
Indian Navy successfully testfired Brahmos supersonic cruise missile
- Indian Navy successfully test-fired the 290 km strike range Brahmos supersonic cruise missile. The supersonic cruise missile was test-fired in the Arabian Sea.
- BrahMos is a medium-range supersonic cruise missile.
- It can be launched from ships, aircraft, or land.
India announced Rs.4,900 crore to support Butans 5 year plan
- The 2nd Annual India-Bhutan Development Cooperation Talks have held New Delhi. The talks aimed at renewing India’s commitment to supporting projects under Bhutan’s ongoing twelfth five-year plan, that is from 2018-23.
- The bilateral mechanism aims to review the entire gamut of India’s development partnership with Bhutan.
- India announces the assistance of Rs.4500 Crore for the implementation of development projects and Rs. 400 Crore for transitional Trade Support Facility.
- Under the ongoing 12th 5 year plan, 51 large and intermediate projects and 359 Small Development Projects (SDPs) and High Impact Community Development Projects (HICPDs) are being implemented.
India signed MoU with Qatar to set up University campus
- Maharashtra’s Savitribai Phule Pune University (STPU) and Qatar’s Milestone International Education signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to enable the University to set up its campus in Doha.
- The aim of the agreement is to provide opportunities in higher education to around 8 million Indian diaspora based in Qatar.
- The MoU will promote cooperation between the two institutions with the support of the government of the State of Qatar.
- It will open new avenues and opportunities for the Indian community in Qatar.
- The students will not be compelled to send back their children to India for higher education due to the absence of the campus of any Indian University in Qatar.
- As per the MoU, the campus will be fully functional from next semester onwards.
Particles drama won the Golden Peacock Award at the 50th IFFI
The French-Swiss co-produced drama film Particles directed by Blaise Harrison and produced by Estelle Fialon won the Golden Peacock Award at the 50th International Film Festival of India (IFFI). It is an ambitious yet modest film about the mysteries of being a teenager.
Other Awardees at the IFFI festival are:
- Lijo Jose Pellissery won the Best Director Award for the movie Jallikattu
- Seu Jorge won the Best Actor-Male Award
- Usha Jadhav won the Best Actor-Female Award
- Pema Tseden’s Balloon won the Special Jury Award
- Amin Sidi Boumediene and Marius Olteanu won the Best Debut Feature Film of a Director for Abou Leila and Monsters
- Special mention for Hellaro
- Rwanda won The ICFT-UNESCO Gandhi Medal