Daily GK Update: 1st August 2020
“Jamie Vardy wing Premier League’s Golden Boot award”
- Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy won the Premier League’s Golden Boot award for the top scorer.
- He finished the season with 23 goals.
- The 33-year-old is the oldest player to win the award and the first from Leicester City.
- Vardy was unable to score in Leicester’s 2-0 final day loss to Manchester United on Sunday.
- Manchester City’s Brazilian keeper Ederson won the Golden Glove award.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Rajya Sabha MP Amar Singh passes away”
- Rajya Sabha MP and former Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh has died in Singapore where he was undergoing treatment.
- Amar Singh, 64, had undergone kidney transplant in 2011 and was not keeping well for a long time.
- Earlier in the day, the former Samajwadi leader had posted messages on Twitter, paying tributes to Bal Gangadhar Tilak on his 100th death anniversary and also wishing people on Eid.
Source: The Hindu
“Hamed Bakayoko named as Prime Minister of Ivory Coast”
- Ivory Coast‘s Defence Minister, Hamed Bakayoko has been named as the Prime Minister of the country.
- He was presently serving as the as interim PM of the country since the sudden death of former Prime MinisterAmadou Gon Coulibaly.
- Hamed Bakayoko was a founding member of the Rally of the Republicans (RDR) party and was also in charge of the party’s daily newspaper, Le Patriote.
- He also served as the minister of new information and communication technology from 2003 to 2011 in the national unity government.
- He has also been a mayor of Abobo, one of most populous districts of the country, since 2018.
Source: Daily Hunt
“Former Taiwanese President Lee Tenghui Passes Away”
- The Taipei Veterans General Hospital said on Thursday that former President Lee Teng-hui (李登輝), who had been hospitalized there for nearly half a year, passed away at 7:24 p.m. at the age of 97.
- Born in 1923, Lee grew up to become the first directly-elected president of Taiwan in 1996.
- Hailed as a trailblazer in Taiwan’s burgeoning democracy, Lee, who held a doctorate from Cornell University in the U.S., was elected as the 7th vice president of Taiwan in 1984.
- He became the 7th president of Taiwan in January 1988 after the death of former President Chiang Ching-kuo (蔣經國).
- The former president had been hospitalized since February 8 of this year, suffering a series of illnesses that began when he choked on a beverage and which led to his eventual death today from organ failure.
Source: Taiwan News
“NASA sends Perseverance rover on 7-month journey to Mars”
- NASA on Thursday launched the Mars 2020 Perseverance rover.
- It will seek, as a primary goal, to answer one of the key questions of astrobiology: Are there potential signs of past microbial life, or biosignatures on the Red Planet?
- Launched on a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket from Space Launch Complex 41 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida, the rover will also test new technologies to benefit future robotic and human exploration of Mars.
- The rover will land at Mars’ Jezero Crater on February 18, 2021.
- NASA’s Mars 2020 Perseverance is part of America’s larger Moon to Mars exploration approach that includes missions to the Moon as a way to prepare for human exploration of the Red Planet.
Source: OMMCOM News
“Minister of Tribal Affairs receives SKOCH Gold Award”
- 01 August 2020 Current Affairs:Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MoTA) was awarded the SKOCH Gold Award for its “Empowerment of Tribals through IT-enabled Scholarship Schemes”.
- It is the project of the Scholarship Divison of the Ministry. MoTA chose to participate in Digital India & E-Governance-2020 Competition.
- The awards were announced on 30 July 2020.
- The theme of the 66th SKOCH 2020 Competition was“INDIA RESPONDS TO COVID THROUGH DIGITAL GOVERNANCE.”
- The project aimed to achieve Digital India and bringing transparency and ease in the delivery of services.
Source: Freshers Live
“MobiKwik rolls out personal UPI payment link ‘mpay.me’”
- Fintech company MobiKwik today launched me — a UPI link service that allows users to send and receive money from any UPI payment app.
- MobiKwik mentioned in its official release that through me, users and merchants can set up a link using their mobile number and can start receiving money instantly.
- This single link created using mecan be shared anywhere to send and receive money and will work seamlessly on mobile as well as desktop
- With me, users will now be able to generate their own mini personal payment gateways using their phone numbers.
Source: The Hindu Business Line
“Dr. Harsh Vardhan launches ‘Vidyarthi Vigyan Manthan 2020-21”
- Health and Family Welfare Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan today launched ‘Vidyarthi Vigyan Manthan, 2020-21.
- This initiative is a national programme for popularizing science among school students of Class 6th to 11th.
- It was designed to identify the bright minds with a scientific aptitude among the student community.
- Appreciating the new National Educational Policy, he said, under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, this policy has been introduced which will create world class knowledge centre in India.
Source: News On Air
“Domestic stalwart Rajat Bhatia announces retirement from cricket”
- Seasoned allrounder Rajat Bhatia announced his retirement from all forms of cricket on Wednesday.
- The 40-year-old Bhatia, who started his First Class career with Tamil Nadu 21 seasons ago, turned out for Delhi, Rajasthan and Uttarakhand in domestic cricket.
- In the Indian Premier League, he was part of the title-winning Kolkata Knight Riders in 2012, besides playing for Rajasthan Royals and Rising Pune Supergiants.
- For the record, Bhatia played 112 First Class games, aggregated 6,482 runs (average 49.10) and scalped 137 wickets.
- In List-A matches, Bhatia scored 3,038 runs at 41.05 and took 93 wickets.
Source: The Hindu
“GST collection stands at Rs. 87,422 crores in July”
- The gross GST revenue collected in the month of July this year is 87 thousand 422 crore rupees of which CGST is 16 thousand 147 crore, SGST is 21 thousand 418 crore and IGST is 42 thousand 592 crore rupees.
- It also includes 20 thousand 324 crore collected on import of goods and Cess is seven thousand 265 crore rupees.
- Finance Ministry said, the government has settled 23 thousand 320 crore rupees to CGST and 18 thousand 838 crore to SGST from IGST as regular settlement.
- The total revenue earned by Central Government and the State Governments after regular settlement in the month of July is 39 thousand 467 crore rupees for CGST and 40 thousand 256 crore for the SGST.
- The revenues for the last month were higher than the current month.
Source: News On Air