Daily GK Update: 19th July 2020
“IIT Madras start-up ‘develops’ portable Covid hospital”
- An Indian Institute of Technology Madras-incubated start-up Modulus Housing has developed a portable hospital unit that can be installed anywhere within two hours by four people.
- Called ‘MediCAB,’ it is a decentralized approach to detect, screen, identify, isolate and treat COVID-19 patients in their local communities through these portable microstructures, a statement released by the institute said.
- MediCAB’ has been launched recently in Wayanad District of Kerala where the units are being deployed to treat COVID-19 Patients.
- The startup is developing micro hospitals that can be deployed rapidly across the nation.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Jal Jeevan Mission: Arunachal Pradesh Plans To Provide 100% Tap Water Connectivity By 2023”
- The Ministry of Jal Shakti on Saturday announced that the Arunachal Pradesh government plans to set up 100% tap water connections by 2023.
- An official statement from the ministry stated that the vision of the Prime Minister is to bring improvements in the lives of people of the country, especially the rural people.
- It is the vision of the Prime Minister to bring improvements in the lives of people of the country, especially the rural people.
- The mission aims to change the lives of the people residing in rural areas.
Source: Republic World
“Bhagirathi eco-sensitive zone gets green nod”
- The union environment ministry has approved the zonal master plan for the Bhagirathi eco-sensitive zone notification that stretches from Gaumukh to Uttarkashi covering an area of 4179.59 sqkm, the ministry said in a statement on Friday.
- Uttarakhand CM, Trivendra Singh Rawat; Union Minister of State for Road Transport and Highways Gen (Retd) V K Singh also attended the meeting.
- The ZMP is based on watershed approach and includes governance in the area of forest and wildlife, watershed management, irrigation, energy, tourism, public health and sanitation, road infrastructure, etc.
- The approval of ZMP will give a boost to conservation and ecology of the area and also to undertake developmental activities as permitted under ZMP.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Uttarakhand CM Trivendra Singh Rawat Inaugurates ‘Smriti Van’ in Dehradun on Harela Festival, Urges People to Plant Saplings”
- On the occasion of Harela festival in Uttarakhand, Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat on Thursday inaugurated ‘Smriti Van’ at Asthal village of Dehradun district in the memory of famous folk singer of the state late Jeet Singh Negi.
- Harela festival, which marks the onset of monsoon in Uttarakhand, is celebrated across hills three times every year.
- Harela means the day of green.
- Rawat requested everyone to plant a sapling in the memory of their departed family and friends or on any auspicious occasion.
Source: Yahoo News
“Ministry of Finance releases Rs 15,187 crore as grants-in-aid to 2.63 lakh Rural Local Bodies”
- Ministry of Finance has released an amount of over 15 thousand and 187 crore rupees as grants-in-aid to 2.63 lakh Rural Local Bodies (RLBs) spread in 28 States of the country.
- The amount was released upon the recommendation of the Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation and Jal Shakti Ministry.
- This grants-in-aid forms part of the Tied Grant as recommended by the 15th Finance Commission for the Financial Year 2020-21.
- It will be used by RLBs to facilitate taking up of various developmental work concerning supply of drinking water, rain water harvesting, water recycling, sanitation and maintenance of Open Defecation Free status which are national priorities.
Source: APN News
“India lifted record 273 million out of poverty in 10 years, says UN report”
- About 273 million Indians moved out of multidimensional poverty between 2005-6 and 2015-16, according to a UN report, which noted that India has recorded the largest reduction in the number of people living in this category.
- Of the 65 countries that reduced their Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) value, 50 also reduced the number of people living in poverty.
- The largest reduction was in India, where approximately 273 million people moved out of multidimensional poverty over 10 years, the report said.
- The report said that four countries – Armenia (20102015/2016), India (2005/20062015/2016), Nicaragua (20012011/2012) and North Macedonia (2005/20062011) halved their global MPIT value and did so in 5.5-10.5 years.
Source: Business Standard
“Cochin Shipyard Limited Signs Contract For Construction, Supply Of Autonomous Electric Vessels”
- The Ministry of Shipping has said that Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL) signed contracts for construction and supply of two Autonomous Electric Ferry.
- Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL), Kochi signed contracts for construction and supply of Two (2) nos Autonomous Electric Ferry for ASKO Maritime AS, Norway with an option to build two more identical vessels.
- CSL is the largest commercial shipbuilder in India.
- The company clinched this prestigious export order from ASKO Maritime AS, the subsidiary group of Norges Gruppen ASA, one of the largest players in the Norwegian retail segment.
Source: Business World
“India among top ten nations in intellectual property filings”
- As per World Intellectual Property Indicators-2019 Report, India has emerged as the top tenth nation in the ranking of the total (resident and abroad) Intellectual Property (IP) filing activity.
- With government push to schemes like ‘Make in India’, ‘Skill India’ and now ‘Atma-nirbhar Bharat’, IP Filing and grant activity is likely to increase.
- Industry 4.0 is witnessing new inventions and breakthroughs as it faces challenges in providing the right environment to stimulate innovation, especially in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
- IP-intensive industries have been identified as an important and integral part of a country’s economy and account for more jobs and a larger share of its GDP.
Source: News On Air
“RBI approves reappointment of Shyam Srinivasan as Federal Bank MD & CEO”
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has approved the reappointment of Shyam Srinivasan as the MD & CEO of the Federal Bank, w.e.f. September 23, 2020 (the completion of the present term of office) till September 22, 2021.
- The bank’s net profit rose 4.3% to ₹401 crore year on year and 33% quarter on quarter.
- The bank’s net interest income rose 12.3% Y-O-Y to ₹1,296 crore in quarter ended June 2020 over ₹1,154 crore in the same quarter last year.
- Other income grew 24.7% YoY to ₹488.37 crore for Q12020 against ₹391.52 crore for the Q12019.
“117th birth anniversary of former CM of Tamil Nadu, K Kamaraj observed as School Education Day”
- 117th birth anniversary of former CM of Tamil Nadu, K Kamaraj observed as School Education Day.
- This serves to underline the fact that Kamaraj had given special importance to enhancing school education facilities in Tamil Nadu during his three terms as Chief Minister.
- He had memorably laid down the principle that no child will travel more than 3 kms by road to reach the nearest school.
- Kamaraj has also been credited with initiating moves to change the industrial landscape of Tamil Nadu by bringing in BHEL in Trichy, Hindusthan Photo Films in Udhagamandakam etc.
Source: News On Air