Daily GK Update: 19th August 2020
“Dream11 wins IPL 2020 title sponsorship right”
- Fantasy gaming platform Dream11 won the IPL title sponsorship rights with a bid of Rs 222 crore, replacing Chinese mobile phone company Vivo for a four and a half month deal.
- Dream11 has been one of the IPL sponsors for a couple of years now.
- It is learnt that multinational conglomerate Tata group didn’t place a final bid while two education technology companies — BYJUs (201 crore) and Unacademy (170 crore) — came second and third respectively.
- Vivo and the BCCI suspended a Rs 440 crore per year deal for this season owing to the border stand-off between India and China.
Source: The Indian Express
“Satya Pal Malik appointed as Governor of Meghalaya”
- The present Governor of Goa Satya Pal Malik has been appointed as the Governor for Meghalaya by President Ram Nath Kovind.
- Maharashtra Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari will discharge the functions of the Governor of Goa in addition to his own duties.
- Malik was the governor of Jammu and Kashmir from August 2018 to October 2019, and it was during his tenure that the decision to abrogate Article 370, which gave special status to Jammu and Kashmir, was taken in August 2019.
Source: Live Mint
“Nitin Gadkari launches farm-to-fork service portal ‘VedKrishi’”
- The Union Minister of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) Nitin Gadkari has launched an online farm-to-fork service platform called VedKrishi.com, to directly connect farmers with consumers.
- Through VedKrishi.com, farmers would be able to sell their non-toxic farm produce directly to consumers.
- The platform has been set-up by Nagpur-based farmer producer organization VedKrishi Farmer Producer Company.
- The platform will allow home delivery of grocery products including dairy goods, vegetables, grains, and pulses, apart from pickles, juices, sauces, etc.
- Registered consumers would be able to schedule their order in advance for one year.
“13th India-UAE Joint Commission Meeting held virtually”
- India and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) agreed to strengthen cooperation in ongoing areas and explore cooperation in newer areas reflecting the changing times at their 13th Joint Commission Meeting (JCM) held in the virtual format.
- The 13th Session of the India-UAE Joint Commission Meeting on Trade, Economic and Technical Cooperation was co-chaired by External Affairs Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar and UAE Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Minister Sheikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
- The JCM was preceded by the Senior Officials Meeting (SOM) on August 13 held virtually between Sanjay Bhattacharyya, Secretary (Consular, Passport and Visa & Overseas Indian Affairs), and Abdul Nasser Al Shaali, Assistant Minister of Economic and Trade Affairs of the UAE.
- Both sides agreed to hold the next Session of the India-UAE Joint Commission Meeting in Abu Dhabi in 2021.
“Vice-President announced ARIIA 2020 virtually”
- Vice-President M Venkaiah Naidu has announced the Atal Rankings of Institutions on Innovation Achievements, ARIIA 2020 today that is on August 18, 2020.
- The announcement started at 11 am in a virtual ceremony in the presence of HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’, State Minister Sanjay Shamrao Dhotre, and Higher Education secretary Amit Khare.
- This year, just like last year IIT-Madras has been ranked the best in the Institute of National importance index.
- IIT-Madras was also ranked as best institute under NIRF ranking this year.
- The IIT-Madras is followed by IIT-Bombay and IIT-Delhi. At rank 4 and 5 were IISc and IIT-Kharagpur, respectively.
- Avinashlingam Institute of Home Science and Higher education for women has been ranked 1 followed by Indira Gandhi Delhi Technical Education for Women, Delhi.
“Fino Payments Bank rolls out Jan Savings Account”
- Fino Payments Bank has announced the introduction of Jan BachatKhata, an Aadhaar Authentication-based digital savings account for its customers.
- Beneficiaries: Low income household families and government’s direct benefit transfer [DBT] members.
- Interest Rate: UpTo Rs 1 lakh is 2.75% p.a. on EOD.
- Minimum Balance: Nil
Source: The Hindu
“G P Garg appointed as Executive Director of SEBI”
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has appointed G P Garg as its executive director (ED) on 14 August 2020.
- Prior to his promotion as ED, Garg was Chief General Manager in Central Public Information Officer (CPIO) in SEBI.
- Currently, there are nine executive directors in SEBI. With this appointment the total tally of ED reaches to ten.
- This appointment was a part of an internal appointment.
- Now SEBI will appoint or re-appoint two outside executive directors.
“Arjun Subramaniam penned down ‘Full Spectrum: India’s Wars, 1972-2020’”
- Retired Air Vice Marshal, Arjun Subramaniamhas authored a new book titled, “Full Spectrum: India’s Wars, 1972-2020”.
- It is the sequel to his 1st book, ‘India’s Wars: A Military History, 1947-1971’.
- The book portrays the comprehensive account of war and conﬂict in contemporary India over the past ﬁve decades next month.
- It will be published by HarperCollins Publishers India Pvt. Ltd.
- The book includes all major operation that the armed forces have participated in, including the Kargil conﬂict of 1999, insurgencies in the Northeast, terrorism and proxy wars in Jammu and Kashmir, separatist violence in Punjab, the Indian Peace Keeping Force (IPKF) intervention in Sri Lanka, and the continued stress along the Line of Control (LoC) and the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
“Indian Railways introduced Drone based surveillance system”
- Mumbai Division of Central Railway in Indian Railways has recently procured two Ninja UAVs for better security and surveillance in Railway areas like station premises, Railway track sections, yards, workshops, etc.
- A team of four staff of Railway Protection Force (RPF), Mumbai has been trained for drone flying, surveillance and maintenance.
- These drones are capable of Real Time Tracking, Video Streaming and may be operated on Automatic Fail Safe Mode.
- Railway Protection Force (RPF) has planned extensive use of drones for the purpose of Railway security. Nine (09) drones have been procured by RPF so far at a cost of Rs. 31.87 Lakhs at South Eastern Railway, Central Railway, Modern Coaching Factory, Raebareli and South Western Railway.
- It is further proposed to procure seventeen (17) more drones in future at a cost of Rs. 97.52 Lakhs.
Source: Rail Analysis India
“Chhattisgarh Govt to launch Padhai Tuhar Para Scheme”
- Chhattisgarh government has announced to launch a student centric scheme named as “Padhai Tuhar Para”.
- The scheme will enable the school students to study with the help of community in their localities and villages, in view of the suspension of classes due to corona virus outbreak.
- Along with “Padhai Tuhar Para” scheme, the state government also announced to launch three other schemes.
Source: Daily Hunt