Daily GK Update: 18th August 2020
“Rakesh Asthana appointed Chief of Border Security Force”
- Controversial IPS officer Rakesh Asthana, who was handling the top post of the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security, has been appointed the Director General of Border Security Force.
- He will be succeeded by SS Deswal in the Civil Aviation Security.
- The former official of the Central Bureau of Investigations had run into controversy two years ago with his bitter public feud with his then boss Alok Verma and was subject to long investigation in a bribery case in which he was allegedly involved.
- He got a clean chit from the agency in February this year.
- Mr Asthana — a 1984-batch Gujarat cadre IPS officer — was elevated to the CBI soon after the NDA came to power in 2014, causing resentment in the ranks.
“HRM ministry renamed as Ministry of Education officially”
- President Ram Nath Kovind provided his formal assent for renaming Ministry of Human Resource Development to as the Ministry of Education as part of the New Education Policy 2020.
- Following the approval of President Kovind, a gazette notification published formalizing the renaming of the ministry.
- The President Kovind’s office notified Union Cabinet’s decision to rename HRD Ministry to Ministry of Education formally.
- The Union Cabinet led by PM Narendra Modi had approved renaming of the ministry on 29thJuly along with granting its approval for the New National Education Policy 2020.
“Tribal Affairs Ministry launches ‘Swasthya’ portal”
- Tribal Affairs Minister Arjun Munda today inaugurated the e-portal on tribal health and nutrition named ‘Swasthya’.
- The portal provides all health and nutrition related information of the tribal population of India on a single platform.
- Swasthya will also curate innovative practices, case studies, and best practices collected from different parts of India to facilitate the exchange of evidence, expertise and experiences.
“MCX to roll out India’s first bullion index titled Bulldex”
- Multi Commodity Exchange (MCX) has announced that it will launch the country’s first bullion index, Bulldex, on August 24. Bullions, viz. gold and silver are already being traded as individual commodities on the country’s premier commodity exchange.
- With gold and silver as underlying, Bulldex will have a market lot size of 50 and be cash-settled.
- MCX iCOMDEX Bullion Index Futures contracts, expiring September, October and November, will be available for trading with effect from August 24
- In the bullion segment, MCX already offers 1 kg gold, goldmini, gold guinea and gold petal contracts, as also silver, silver mini and silver micro contracts.
“Ashwini Kumar Shukla appointed as CRO of Central Bank of India”
- State-run Central Bank of India has appointed Ashwini Kumar Shukla as its chief risk officer (CRO), effective August 3.
- Prior to his appointment, Shukla was working as general manager (risk management department) State Bank of India
- Last year, the finance ministry, as part of a reform agenda, had said state-run banks can recruit chief risk officers (CROs) from the market.
- The state run lender is the first one to appoint a CRO from the market
Source: Business Standard
“Kevin de Bruyne titled Premier League Player of Season 2019-20”
- Premier League has named Manchester City’s Kevin De Bruyne as the Player of the Season for the 2019-20 campaign.
- The 2019-20 Premier League title was won by Liverpool, while Manchester City had finished in second place.
- During this particular season, De Bruyne matched the record for most assists in a single campaign by hitting 20.
- He equalled the mark set by Arsenal’s legend Thierry Henry in the 2002-03 campaign
- Manchester City’s De Bruyne defeated the competition from Liverpool’s Trent Alexander-Arnold, Jordan Henderson and Sadio Mane, plus Southampton striker Danny Ings, Burnley goalkeeper Nick Pope, and Leicester hitman Jamie Vardy.
“Renowned Indian Classical Vocalist Pandit Jasraj passes away in New Jersey”
- Indian classical vocalist Pandit Jasraj passed away on Monday following a cardiac arrest at his home in New Jersey.
- He had turned 90 in January this year.
- Jasraj was in the US when the corona virus-led lockdown happened and decided to stay back in that country.
- With a musical career spanning almost 80 years, the doyen of Indian classical vocal music was a recipient of various prestigious awards and honours including Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan and Padma Vibhushan.
- He represented the last of a generation of classical vocalists, which includes 83-year-old Kishori Amonkar, the doyenne of the Jaipur Atrauli gharana.
Source: The Indian Express
“Renowned Carnatic musician B Siva Kumar passes away in Trichy”
- Noted Carnatic musician and renowned veena vidwan Dr B Siva Kumar, senior veena artist passed away in Trichy
- He was 53.
- He had been ailing from various health problems for some time.
- A much acclaimed and popular veena artist, Dr Siva Kumar learned the nuances and finer points of music from stalwarts like Shri R Krishnamoorthy, Smt Ranganayaki Rajagopalan and N Ravikiran.
- Dr Siva Kumar, a science graduate of Loyola College Chennai has also taken MA in Music from Bharathi Dasan university and followed it up with a PhD in Music.
- He has won several awards including the Tamil Iyal Isai Nataka sangam award and the award for Ragam Tanam Pallavi presentation from the Tamil Isai Sangam.
“Director Nishikant Kamat passes away in Hyderabad”
- Filmmaker Nishikant Kamat who directed 2015 thriller Drishyampassed away on Monday at age 50.
- Kamat breathed his last at 4:24 pm today at Hyderabad’s AIG Hospitals, where he was admitted in critical condition a couple of days back.
- He was suffering from Liver Cirrhosis for the past two years.
- Kamat, who had multiple organ failure, was admitted to the hospital on July 31 with complaints of fever and excessive fatigue.
- Kamat helmed many Marathi and Hindi films. Some of his best-known projects include the 2011 action film Forceand Irrfan Khan-starrer Madaari.
“Gwalior-Chambal e-way to be named after Atal Bihari Vajpayee”
- The Gwalior-Chambal Expressway will be named Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee Chambal Progressway, Madhya Pradesh.
- CM Shivraj paid floral tribute to Atal Bihari Vajpayee at the BJP party office in BJP.
- He was accompanied by state BJP president and Khajuraho Lok Sabha member VD Sharma and party’s state general secretary (organization) Suhas Bhagat.
Source: Live Mint