Daily GK Update: 17th January 2020
World Bank, Centre sign USD 88 million loan agreement for Assam inland water transport project
- The central government, Assam government and the World Bank signed a loan agreement of USD 88 million here on Thursday to help modernise Assam’s passenger ferry sector that runs on its rivers including the Brahmaputra.
- A Finance Ministry release said a majority of Assam’s more than 361 ferry routes cross the Brahmaputra or serve its islands, providing a crucial means of transport to thousands of commuters in both the urban and rural areas of the Brahmaputra Valley.
- The Assam Inland Water Transport Project (AIWTP) will help Assam improve the passenger ferry infrastructure and its services and strengthen the capacity of institutions running the inland water transport, the release said.
Source: The New Indian Express
Agreement signed to end the Bru-Reang refugee crisis, around 34,000 internally displaced people to be settled in Tripura
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Thursday presided over the signing of an agreement between the central government and the governments of Tripura and Mizoram and Bru-Reang representatives under which around 34,000 internally displaced people will be settled in Tripura.
- Shah said around 34,000 Bru refugees will be settled in Tripura under the new agreement and the state would be given a package of around Rs 600 crores for their rehabilitation.
Source: Business Standard
Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad to inaugurate ‘Centre of Excellence in Blockchain Technology’ in Bengaluru tomorrow
National Informatics Centre (NIC) has set up the Centre of Excellence (CoE) in Blockchain Technology in Bengaluru, Karnataka, aiming to provide Blockchain as a service and allowing all stakeholders to benefit from shared learning, experiences and resources. Inauguration of Centre of Excellence in Blockchain Technology is being held tomorrow by the Union Minister for Law & Justice, Communications and Electronics & Information Technology, Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad. The event will be attended by several dignitaries from the Central and State Government.
Source: Press Information Bureau
Indian Army conducts biggest airborne exercise ‘Winged Raider’ with over 500 Special Forces troops
- The Indian Army conducted its biggest airborne exercise called the ‘Winged Raider’ comprising of more than 500 special forces troops in the North-Eastern theatre.
- The exercise conducted on January 10 had over 500 soldiers of the Special Forces parachuting from C-130 Hercules and C-17 globemaster transport aircraft of the Indian Air Force, besides Dhruv helicopters during the day and night. The exercise was preceded by a series of intense preparations involving movement of special forces and rallying up of transport aircraft of the Indian Air Force starting from January 6.
Source: The Economic Times
With Mosques and Hospitals, Once-submerged Island Ready for Rohingya Refugees, Says Bangladesh
- A Bangladeshi island regularly submerged by monsoon rains is ready to house 100,000 Rohingya refugees, but no date has been announced to relocate people from the crowded and squalid camps where they’ve lived for years, officials said Thursday.
- Flood protection embankments, houses, hospitals and mosques have been built on Bhasan Char, or floating island, in the Bay of Bengal, officials said.
- Bhasan Char is ready for habitation. Everything has been put in place, Bangladesh refugee, relief and repatriation commissioner Mahbub Alam Talukder told The Associated Press.
- The island is built to accommodate 100,000 people, just a fraction of the million Rohingya Muslims who have fled waves of violent persecution in their native Myanmar.
Source: News 18
Ladakh hosts first ever Food Processing Summit to attract investors
- Union Territory Ladakh is hosting the first ever Food Processing Summit to attract investors to the region. With the help of Ministry of Commerce and Industry and the Ministry of Food Processing Industries, the UT Administration of Ladakh is organizing the Summit.
- Ladakh region has vast scope for investment in food Processing Industries in horticulture products like Apricot, SeabuckThorn, Apple and agricultural produce like buckwheat and barley.
- Ladakh Commerce and industries Commissioner secretary Saugat Biswas said over hundred entrepreneurs from Leh and Kargil are participating in the Summit. The event is aimed at encouraging the entrepreneurs to begin a StartUp to tap the potential in the Food Processing Industries in Ladakh. Invest India will explain the procedures of investment processes along with Government support.
Source: News Services Division
PM addresses at the international conclave on “Globalizing Indian Thought “at Kozhikode through video conference
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi today unveiled a life size statue of Swami Vivekananda at IIM Kozhikode through video conference.
- He was participating in the international conclave on “Global Indian Thought” that is being organised by IIM Kozhikode.
- Addressing the gathering the Prime Minister said, “Indian thought is vibrant and diverse. It is constant and evolving. It is too vast to be put in a lecture or a seminar or even books. But, broadly, there are certain ideals that have remained central to Indian values. They are- compassion, harmony, justice, service and openness”.
Source: PM India