Daily GK Update: 17th August 2020
“Lewis Hamilton won Spanish Grand Prix 2020”
- Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes may have wobbled in the last round at Silverstonebut his victory at the Spanish Grand Prix was as crushing an exhibition of superiority as he has delivered all season.
- This was the world champion in the zone, with such control, precision and pace he was on another level to his rivals.
- He rated it as close to perfection and one of his best drives.
- To put the victory in perspective, he lapped all but the top three in the field and finished 24 seconds in front of Red Bull’s Max Verstappen in second, with his Mercedes teammate Valtteri Bottas a distant and dejected third.
Source: The Guardian
“PNB rolls out ‘Digital Apnayen’ Campaign”
- On the auspicious occasion, Shri Rao, MD and CEO announced the launch of the PNB’s new and innovative digital campaign, named as “DIGITAL APNAYEN,” an initiative to encourage customers to move to digital banking channels for their banking needs.
- As per the campaign, the Bank will contribute ₹5.00 towards the PM CARES Fund on behalf of each customer conducting ‘first financial transaction’ to activate their RuPay Debit card either on PoS or E-commerce platform, activation of AePS account through fund transfer, activation of AePS account through BHIM Aadhaar Merchants payment, and activation of UPI service.
- Download and Registration for UPI facility shall also be eligible for contribution.
- The period of the campaign shall be from 15th August 2020 to 31st March 2021.
- The campaign is envisaged to encourage customers to use Digital Channels and participate in the noble cause of donating to PM CARES Fund for COVID-19, by PNB.
Source: Finance Khabar
“Centre to launch projects for Lion & Dolphin”
- The Prime Minister announced that the Centre will soon launch Project Lion and Project Dolphin for the biodiversity conservation of these species to replicate the successes of Project Tiger.
- In his Independence Day speech, Mr Modi we have successfully carried forward Project Tiger and Project Elephant.
- The Tiger population has increased in India.
- In the coming days, we are starting Project Lion for the Asiatic lions.
- Mr Modi said Project Dolphin will focus on both river and sea dolphins.
- He said, this will also give a boost to biodiversity and also create employment opportunities.
Source: Live Mint
“NTPC develops infrastructure at Rihand project for Fly Ash Utilization”
- NTPC has developed infrastructure at the Rihand project in Uttar Pradesh to transport fly ash in bulk to cement plants, located at distance, at a cheaper cost.
- The development is in line with NTPC’s commitment towards 100 percent utilization of fly ash from power plants.
- The first rake of 59 BOXN type of railway wagons carrying 3,450 metric tonne (mt) of fly ash was flagged off from NTPC’s Rihand super thermal power station for ACC cement manufacturing plant, Tikaria, U.P. located at a distance of 458 kms.
- During the 2019-20, almost 44.33 mt of fly ash was utilized for various productive purposes, being 73.31 per cent of the ash generated.
“Sports Minister launches Fit India Youth Clubs”
- Union sports Minister Kiren Rijiju launched yet another nation-wide initiative, the Fit India Youth Club, on the occasion of the 73rd Independence Day of the country.
- The Fit India Youth Club, a part of the Fit India Movement envisioned by Honourable Prime Minister, endeavours to harness the power of youth to create mass awareness about the importance of fitness, across the country.
- The Fit India Youth Clubs bring together fitness and voluntarism in a unique way in which 75 lakh volunteers of Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan and National Service Scheme, along with Scouts and Guides, NCC and other youth organisations will come together to register as Fit India Youth Clubs in every block in the country, under the aegis of a district unit and each member of the club will motivate people from the community to take up fitness activities of 30 to 60 minutes in his or her daily routine.
- Additionally, the clubs will organise and encourage schools and local bodies to organise one community fitness programme every quarter.
Source: DD News
“Indian Olympics Association launches ‘Ek India Team India’ Digital Campaign”
- Indian Olympic Association on Saturday launched its ‘Ek India Team India’ digital campaign on the occasion of the country’s 74th Independence Day.
- The campaign is a part of IOA’s recent adoption of its new identity, marking 100 years of Indian athletes’ participation at the Olympic Games.
- ‘Ek India Team India’ campaign captures India’s journey in the Olympic Games and the concept behind the adoption of its new identity, which celebrates the country’s uniqueness, its sporting legacy and the values of unity, friendship and merit in sport
- As a part of the launch of the campaign video, IOA will promote the new logo on its website and social media channels.
- The new logo will be used by athletes and officials while representing Team India, when competing on the world arena, as well as in all official events and ceremonies at the Olympic Games, Commonwealth Games and other international sporting events.
Source: DD News
“Former Indian Cricketer and UP Minister Chetan Chauhan passes away”
- Former cricketer-turned-politician Chetan Chauhan passed away on Sunday due to COVID-19 related complications after being put on life support for nearly 36 hours.
- Chauhan, who was a minister in the Uttar Pradesh cabinet, was initially admitted at SGPGI in Lucknow, and later moved to Medanta Hospital in Gurugram.
- Chauhan, who played 40 Tests for India, was 73 and is survived by his wife and son Vinayak, who is scheduled to arrive from Melbourne later in the day.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi said Chauhan had distinguished himself as a wonderful cricketer and later as a diligent political leader.
“Kaushik Khona appointed as CEO of GoAir”
- GoAir on Friday said it has appointed Kaushik Khona as its chief executive officer (CEO).
- The Nominations & Remuneration Committee and the Board met and appointed Kaushik Khona as CEO with immediate effect.
- Khona will replace, industry veteran Vinay Dube who took charge as CEO in February.
- Khona brings with himself more than 32 years of corporate experience and all at CXO level.
- He was with the Wadia Group for almost 4 years from 2008 to 2011.
- He was the CEO of GoAir for two years, from April 2009.
- Khona was also Vice President, corporate finance and strategist for the Wadia Group.
Source: Live Mint
“Indian Railways constructing world’s tallest pier bridge across river Ijai”
- Indian Railways in its effort to provide connectivity to various parts especially in the remote areas is taking multiple steps where transportation is still a major problem for the people living in those areas.
- In one such step Indian Railways’ North East Frontier Railway zone has constructed the world’s tallest pier bridge in the North-Eastern state of Manipur.
- The bridge which is being constructed across river Ijai near Noney is an engineering marvel because the tallest pier height will be of 141 meter.
- It will surpass the existing record of 139 meter of Mala – Rijeka viaduct, Montenegro in Europe.
- The bridge is a part of Jiribam-Tupul-Imphal new BG line project (111 Km).
- The total length of the bridge will be 703 meter.
Source: Live Mint
“NITI Aayog’s AIM collaborated with Dell to SEP 2.0”
- Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), NITI Aayog, in collaboration with Dell Technologies today launched Student Entrepreneurship Programme 2.0 (SEP 2.0) for young innovators of Atal Tinkering Labs (ATLs).
- Following the outstanding success of SEP 1.0, the second series was kick-started in the presence of Dr Rajiv Kumar, Vice Chairman, NITI Aayog; Alok Ohrie, President and MD, Dell Technologies; R. Ramanan, Mission Director, AIM; and Dr Anjlee Prakash, Chairperson, Learning Links Foundation.
- SEP 2.0 will allow student innovators to work closely with Dell volunteers.
- They will receive mentor support; prototyping and testing support; end-user feedback; intellectual property registration and patenting of ideas, processes, and products; manufacturing support; as well as the launch support of the product in the market.