Daily GK Update: 16th September 2020
“Paytm First Games ropes in Sachin Tendulkar as brand ambassador”.
- Paytm First Games, a subsidiary of the digital financial service platform Paytm, has signed cricketing legend Sachin Tendulkar as the brand ambassador for the platform, ahead of the 2020 edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL).
- Paytm First Games (PFG) has also set aside Rs 300 crore to spend on marketing and promotions during the remaining six months of the current financial year, to grow its market share in the space currently dominated by Dream11.
- As its brand ambassador, Tendulkar will help PFG in creating awareness about the genre of fantasy sports in the country.
- Other than fantasy cricket, he will also help promote and generate excitement around all sports including kabaddi, football, and basketball.
Source: Economic Times
“Petronet LNG announces cessation of MD & CEO”.
- Petronet LNG announced that Prabhat Singh (DIN: 03006541) has ceased to be the MD & CEO of the Company w.e.f. 14 September, 2020 consequent upon completion of five years tenure as MD & CEO.
- The Board of the company in its meeting held on 2 September, 2020, have entrusted the additional charge of MD & CEO to Vinod Kumar Mishra (DIN: 08125144), Director (Finance) of the Company w.e.f. 14 September, 2020 till such time the new incumbent joins as MD & CEO of the Company.
Source: Business Standard
“Former India player SR Patil dead”.
- Former India player SadashivRaojiPatil, who represented the country in one Test match, died at his residence in Kolhapur.
- He was 86 and is survived by wife and two daughters.”He died in his sleep in the wee hours on Tuesday at his residence in Ruikar Colony in Kolhapur,” Ramesh Kadam, a former office bearer of Kolhapur District Cricket Association, told PTI.
- BCCI mourned the death of Patil and recollected his cricketing journey, largely restricted to domestic cricket.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Vi launches integrated 4G network GIGAnet to stem loss of customers to rivals”.
- Vodafone Idea NSE -2.13 % , now known by the new brand name VI, launched GIGAnet- the integrated 4G network post merger of Vodafone India with Idea Cellular.
- Armed with the new network, the telco aims to stem the loss of customers and attract new ones from rivals BhartiAirtel NSE -0.78 % and Reliance Jio.
- GIGAnet will have largest spectrum portfolio, huge capacity, and built on many principles of 5G architecture that help in delivering a superior network experience, said the company in a statement on Monday.
- “GIGAnet is Vi’s effort to move beyond connectivity to be the platform for a digital society. It offers faster downloads & uploads, low latency and real-time connectivity. We have deployed technology whereby parts of the NW have the ability to self-optimize to meet demand where necessary,” said VishantVora, Chief Technology Officer, Vodafone Idea.
“Namaste Alexa: Amazon signs up Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan”.
- Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchanwill be the first Indian celebrity to lend his voice to Amazon’s Alexa digital assistant starting next year, as the Silicon Valley giant expands its presence in the massive market.
- The 77-year-old actor has been a household name in India for nearly half a century, and his deep baritone is instantly recognisable to listeners in the country of 1.3 billion.
Source: Times of India
“ADB appoints Takeo Konishi as Country Director for India”.
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) on September 14, 2020, announced that it has appointed Takeo Konishi as a Country Director of India. Takeo Konishi has succeeded Kenichi Yokoyama.
- As per the official release by ADB, Kenichi Yokoyama has taken over as Director-General of ADB’s South Asia Department and will be based at ADB headquarters in Manila.
- Takeo Konishi, as head of the country office in New Delhi, will be leading ADB’s operations and policy dialogue with the government and other developmental partners in India.
Source: Jagran Josh
“World Ozone Day 2020: Theme, history, significance and all you need to know”.
- World Ozone Day: The slogan of the day, ‘Ozone for life’, reminds us that not only is ozone crucial for life on Earth but that we must continue to protect the ozone layer for future generations.
- World Ozone Day is observed on September 16, every year.
- It is celebrated to spread awareness among people about the depletion of the Ozone Layer and search for possible solutions to preserve it.
- Life on Earth would not be possible without sunlight. But the energy emanating from the sun would be too much for life on Earth to thrive were it not for the ozone layer.
- This stratospheric layer shields Earth from most of the sun’s harmful ultraviolet radiation.
- The Ozone layer or also known as the Ozone shield, a delicate layer of gas, in the Earth’s stratosphere absorbs most of the Sun’s ultraviolet rays. These rays can cause numerous skin diseases.
Source: India Today
“IIM-Kozhikode incubated start-up develops wearable gadget to implement social distancing”.
- Even as the world will come back to normal, however, maintaining social distancingis and will going to be the new normal.
- To ensure it is maintained, a start-up incubated by the Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode (IIM-K)has come up with a wearable device ‘Veli Band’.
- It uses location and contact tracing which can help organisations comply with social distancing norms during the current pandemic
- The Veli Band momentarily vibrates, sounds buzzer, and flashes LED simultaneously to notify wearers that another band is within three feet or one-meter radius.
Source: Indian Express
“BJP launches week-long ‘SevaSaptah’ campaign to mark PM Modi’s 70th birthday”.
- The BharatiyaJanata Party has launched a week-long campaign to mark the 70th birthday of Prime Minister NarendraModi.
- The saffron party will observe ‘SevaSaptah’ week from 14-20 September. PM Modi was born on September 17 in 1950.
- BJPnational president JP Nadda said that since it is the PM’s 70th birthday, cleanliness and plantation drives will be conducted at 70 places in every district and at least 70 virtual rallies will be organised.
- BJP has decided to observe September 14-20 week as ‘SevaSaptah’,” Nadda said while launching the campaign at Chhaprauli village in GautamBuddh Nagar district of Uttar Pradesh.
Source: Financial Express
“BPCL bags ‘CII Environmental Project Awards’”.
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) bagged the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) Environmental Project Awards at the 7th edition of the “CII Environmental Best Practices Award” conference through a digital platform.
- This conference was organised by CII with an objective to recognise and award best practices implemented by the Indian industry in the area of environmental protection.
- The teams from Bharat Petroleum – Corporate R&D and Energy & Environment, Mumbai Refinery – bagged the CII Most innovative Environmental project award and the Most useful Environmental project award for the indigenous development of the research product BHARAT GSR CAT (gasoline sulfur reduction catalyst).