Daily GK Update: 16th July 2020
“Election Commissioner Ashok Lavasa named as the new VP of Asian Development Bank”
- Election Commissioner Ashok Lavasa, who was next in line to head the poll panel, was on Wednesday named as the new vice-president of the Philippines-based Asian Development Bank (ADB) – a position he can take only after resigning from his current job.
- Lavasa, who would have retired as the Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) in October 2022, would be the second election commissioner to step down from the poll panel before the completion of his term.
- “The ADB has appointed Ashok Lavasa as Vice-President for Private Sector Operations and Public-Private Partnerships,” the multilateral lending agency said in a statement. “He will succeed Diwakar Gupta, whose term will end on August 31.”
- His appointment as vice president is on the recommendation of the Government of India, sources said.
Source: The Economic Times
“State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World report released”
- United Nations, Jul 14 (PTI) The number of undernourished people in India has declined by 60 million, from 21.7 per cent in 2004-06 to 14 per cent in 2017-19, according to a UN report.
- The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World report, released on Monday, said that there were less stunted children but more obese adults in India.
- The report — considered the most authoritative global study tracking progress towards ending hunger and malnutrition — said that the number of undernourished people in India declined from 249.4 million in 2004â€“06 to 189.2 million in 2017â€“19.
- In percentage terms, the prevalence of undernourishment in the total population in India declined from 21.7 per cent in 2004-06 to 14 per cent in 2017-19, it said.
“Long March 3B launches APStar-6D”
- China Great Wall Industry Corporation (CGWIC) launched the APStar-6D communications satellite on Thursday using the Long March-3B/G2 – Chang Zheng-3B/G2 (Y64) rocket.
- The launch took place at 12:10 UTC from the LC3 pad at the Xichang Satellite Launch Center.
- To be operated by APT Satellite Company Ltd., the APStar-6D satellite is a Ku/Ka-band high throughput communications satellite that will provide broadband internet.
- APT Satellite Company Ltd. signed the launch contract in July 2016 with CGWIC.
Source: NASA Spaceflight
“Sachin Awasthi bags the prestigious Global Humanitarian Award in London”
- Sachin Awasthi, President, National Media Club and Founder of Shri Ram Seva Mission has been awarded the “Top Publicist” honour and he is one of just 100 awardees belonging to 35 different countries and 7 continents.
- This Award was given through a webinar.
- This Prestigious Award Ceremony was conducted In presence of H.E. Fatmir Sejdiu former president, Republic of Kosovo , H.E Madhav kumar Nepal , former prime minister Nepal , HON. Pedro I. Altamirano president of National Assembly, Andalusia- Spain.
- As part of “Honoring The Honorable” initiative of the World Humanitarian Drive (WHD), Founder Abdul Basit Syed, said “Global Humanitarian Awards 2020” were recently announced to felicitate popular men and women, who’ve worked selflessly towards the greater good of the society and the world.
Source: Deccan Chronicle
“CCI approves acquisition by Aceso Company Pte. Ltd. (Aceso) in HCG”
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) approves acquisition by Aceso Company Pte. Ltd. (Aceso) in HealthCare Global Enterprises Limited (HCG), under Section 31(1) of the Competition Act, 2002.
- The Proposed Combination relates to the acquisition of up to 58.92% stake in HCG by Aceso by way of (i) subscription to equity shares and warrants and (ii) an open offer to the public shareholders as per the regulations of SEBI, as per Ministry of Corporate Affairs data.
- HCG and its group are engaged in the business of providing services through cancer treatment clinics, multi-specialty hospitals, fertility treatment centres.
- In addition, an associate company of HCG is engaged in the business of providing clinical diagnostic services.
“Union Minister Shripad Naik inaugurates conference on Aerospace and Defence Manufacturing Technologies”
- The Union Minister of State for Defence, Shripad Naik on July 15 inaugurated the conference on Aerospace and Defence Manufacturing Technologies in New Delhi.
- The theme of the 5th edition of the conference was Empowering India with ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat Mission’.
- Naik during his inaugural address highlighted several initiatives by the central government.
- The conference was jointly organised by the Confederation of Indian Industry, Tamil Nadu Technology Development and Promotion Centre, Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers.
Source: Jagran Josh
“Digital Indo-Italian Business Mission on Food Processing inaugurated”
- Food Processing is considered as one of the fastest growing industries in India.
- There exists a tremendous potential for enhancing the levels of value addition and processing, by leveraging the appropriate and the best available global food processing machinery, equipment, technology for value adding, processing and packaging.
- It is in this context that coinciding with the Digital Indo-Italian Business Mission on Food Processing to India, CII in association with the Italian Trade Agency (ITA) is organizing the Virtual Exhibition, B2B meets and Webinars during 15th – 16th July 2020.
- The event will help explore synergies for promoting innovations and partnerships in food processing technologies between India and Italy.
“AAI and BEL signs MoU for co-operation in Civil Aviation industry”
- In a move that could provide a major boost to the civil aviation industry, the Airports Authority of India (AAI) has entered into an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Navratna Defence PSU Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL), providing a platform for both the companies to collaborate and support each other to address the emerging global opportunities in the airport business, including those in the Asia Pacific region.
- ln furtherance of such cooperation, AAl, playing the role of a development partner, will render assistance to BEL in its domain of expertise to enable execution of the prestigious MEA projects outside India by BEL. Both the organisations will work in close co-operation with each other in the field of civil aviation, in both present and future projects handled by BEL.
- CMD, BEL, affirmed that the MoU would provide for synergy of capabilities of both the organisations in their respective domains, leading to mutually beneficial and lasting solutions in the ever-growing field of aviation.
- He also said that with the skills and expertise of AAI, BEL is hopeful of entering into the domestic civil aviation market as well into the South-East Asian, African and Latin American civil aviation markets.
Source: PSU Connect
“PM presents new Mantra of ‘skill, reskill and upskill’ for youth to remain relevant in changing business environment”
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today also addressed a virtual conclave on World Youth Skills Day organised by the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
- Speaking on the occasion, the Prime Minister Narendra Modi stressed on the vital role of skilled migrant workers in changing the local economy.
- The Prime Minister presented a new mantra for the youth to skill, reskill and upskill in order to remain relevant in the rapidly changing business environment and market conditions.
- He stated that the Skill India Mission launched five years back on the same day has led to creation of a vast infrastructure for skilling, reskilling and upskilling and enhancing opportunities to access employment both locally and globally.
Source: News On Air
“Hawkins Cookers Chairman and ISA board member Brahm Vasudeva passes away”
- Brahm Vasudeva, the chairman of cookware manufacturer Hawkins, passed away on Friday at age 84, say media reports.
- Vasudeva was also active in advertising and client industry bodies.
- He served as a board member of the Indian Society of Advertisers and was responsible for pioneering The Advertising Standards Council of India and Media Research Users Council India.
- Hawkins went from strength to strength in the 52 years Vasudeva served with the company. May his soul rest in peace.
Source: Exchange for Media