Daily GK Update: 16th August 2020
“MS Dhoni, Suresh Raina retire from international cricket on the same day”
- Veteran batsman Suresh Rainajoined former India captain MS Dhoni in formally announcing his retirement from all international cricket on the same day.
- Like Dhoni, Raina made it official in an Instagram
- “It was nothing but lovely playing with you, @mahi7781 . With my heart full of pride, I choose to join you in this journey. Thank you India. Jai Hind!” said Raina in a post that included a picture of him with his CSK teammates Dhoni, Kedar Jadhavand Karn Sharma.
- Dhoni had earlier posted a video montage with photographs at various points of his illustrious international career on his Instagram account.
- Thanks a lot for ur love and support throughout.from 1929 hrs consider me as Retired (sic),” the 39-year-old wrote in his caption.
- Both Dhoni and Raina are expected to play in the upcoming edition of the Indian Premier League(IPL), for which both of them arrived in Chennai for a training camp ahead of the team’s departure for the UAE.
Source: Daily2Daily news
“One India One Market for Farmers”
- The Union Cabinet on Wednesday approved the Farming Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Ordinance, 2020, which will pave the way for creating ‘One India, One Agriculture Market’.
- Briefing the decisions taken in the Cabinet meeting headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Narendra Singh Tomar, said the ordinance will create an ecosystem where farmers and traders will enjoy freedom of choice of sale and purchase of agri-produce.
- The ordinance basically aims at creating additional trading opportunities outside the APMC market yards to help farmers get remunerative prices due to additional competition.
- The ordinance will certainly pave the way for creating ‘One India, One Agriculture Market’, according to the Agriculture Ministry.
Source: Live Mint
“PM Modi announced India will soon introduce a new cyber security policy”
- During Independence Day speech, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that technology will play a big role in developing the country.
- Modi announced India will soon introduce a new cyber security policy.
- Addressing the nation from New Delhi’s Red Fort, PM Modi talked about threats from cyber space that can harm the country’s society, economy and development.
- The details related to the cyber security policy will be revealed in the days to come.
Source: The Indian Express
“India Target to have zero road fatalities by 2030: Nitin Gadkari”
- India is working to achieve zero road accident fatalities by 2030, said Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari.
- Addressing the Indo-Australian Chamber of Commerce and Womennovator on Trade Investment and collaborations in Road infrastructure, the minister said, under the Indian Road Safety Assessment Programme 21,000 km roads have been assessed and about 3,000 km road length is under technological upgradation.
- India reported the world’s highest road accidents in 2018 with 4.67 lakh accidents claiming 1,51,417 lives.
- Human errors, road environment and poor condition of roads were the main reasons for accidents.
Source: Deccan Herald
“Rajnath Singh launches online portal ‘SRIJAN’ to promote indigenisation in defence production”
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh launched an online portal that provides information about defence equipment and items that can be taken up for indigenisation by private sector companies.
- Two memorandums of understandings (MoUs) were signed between Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and the defence public sector undertakings (DPSUs) in the presence of Singh on the concluding day of “Atmanirbhar week”.
- Similarly, two MoUs were signed between private entities and the DPSUs
- The aforementioned online portal that will promote indigenisation of defence items’ production is called “SRIJAN”.
- The DPSUs, Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) and headquarters of the armed forces (SHQs) can display on SRIJAN those items that are being imported currently so that the Indian industry can design, develop and manufacture them domestically as per its capability
Source: First Post
“Central Water Commission and Google launch Flood forecasting Initiative”
- Google in association with the Central Water Commission (CWC) has taken flood forecasting initiative over the past several months, and sent numerous public alerts to people in impacted regions across the country.
- These alerts provide timely, updated, and critical information that can help users make informed decisions on their safety, and that of their families and friends.
- Any user in the affected region having an Android Smartphone with location services enabled will receive these alerts.
- Various parts of the country, including Assam and Bihar, are grappling with floods
- Users can also use Search to enter a query on a flood-affected area to see key information on the current situation in that region.
Source: Financial Express
“Taiwan purchases F-16 jets from US”
- Taiwan formally signed an agreement to buy 66 of the latest model F-16 jets built by Lockheed Martin Corp., a move likely to further inflame tensions between the U.S. and China.
- Taiwan’s purchase of the F-16s marks the first sale of advanced fighter jets to the island since President George H.W. Bush announced approval for 150 F-16s in 1992.
- A $62 billion figure announced by the Pentagon on Friday is the upper limit of numerous contracts if all potential foreign customers placed their maximum desired number over the decade.
- The move is likely to be denounced by Beijing, even though the U.S. first signaled its plans to approve the sale a year ago in an informal notification to Congress and it could still be years before the jets are delivered.
- Company officials have previously said they project a market for as many as 400 of the new F-16s.
Source: The Print
“India’s forex reserves surge by $3.62 bn to fresh all-time high”
- Foreign currency assets, a major part of the overall reserves, rose by USD 1.464 billion to USD 492.293 billion.
- In the previous week, the reserves had increased by USD 11.938 billion to end at USD 534.568 billion.
- Gold reserves went up by USD 2.160 billion to end at USD 39.785 billion.
- India’s special drawing rights with the International Monetary Fund rose by USD 6 million to reach USD 1.481 billion, while the country’s reserve position, however declined by USD 7 million to USD 4.632 billion.
- PM Modi in Independence day speech said in the upcoming 1000 days nearly 6 lakh Indian villages will be connected with optical fibre.
- Modi government calls it the “world’s largest connectivity project”, but BharatNet — which envisages laying of about 8 lakh kilometre of incremental optical fibre cable (OFC)to all the 2,50,000-plus Gram Panchayats (GP) in the country at an estimated cost of Rs 42,068 crore ($6.2 billion) — has had significant snags in deployment for years now.
- During the 74th Independence Day speech PM also announced that in the next 1000 days, Lakshadweep will be connected to submarine optical fiber cable.
Source: The Indian Express
“16th August: Atal Bihari Vajpayee Second death anniversary”
- ‘Tributes to beloved Atal Ji on his Punya Tithi,’ tweeted PM Modi
- PM Modi shared a short clip capturing pivotal moments from Vajpayee’s remarkable career
- With PM Modi’s voiceover in the video, the nearly two-minute-long clip features photos and videos of Vajpayee taken during his long career in politics.
- President Ram Nath, Vice President Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu, Union home minister Amit Shah and defence minister Rajnath Singh also paid tributes to Vajpayee.
Source: Live Mint