Daily GK Update: 15th September 2020
“NDA candidate Harivansh re-elected as Rajya Sabha deputy chairman”.
- It was a smooth sail for JD(U)’s Harivansh, the NDA’s candidate for the post of Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha.
- Harivansh beat Manoj Kumar Jha of the RJD, who was the joint Opposition candidate, in a voice vote. This would be Harivansh’s second innings as the Deputy Chairman of the Upper House.
- “Whether it is this side or that side, Harivansh treats all in the same manner, without differentiating, without being impartial,” Prime Minister Narendra Modi said after the election.
- Harivansh, the Prime Minister said, earned the respect of the House during his term as the Deputy Chairman over the last two years. His name was proposed by BJP chief J P Nadda, and seconded by Leader of the House Thawarchand Gehlot.
Source: The Indian Express
“Rajesh Khullar appointed Executive Director at World Bank”.
- A 1988 batch IAS officer, Rajesh Khullarhas been appointed as Executive Director at World Bank in Washington DC.
- The Appointment Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of Rajesh Khulla for a tenure of three years from the date of assumption of charge or till the date of his superannuation (August 23, 2023).
- Khullar is currently posted as principal secretaryto chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar. He will join the World Bank in the first week of November.
- As executive director, Khullar will represent India, Bangladesh, Bhutan and Sri Lanka in the World Bank.
- The World Bank Group comprises 25 executive directors who each represent a country or constituency of countries, are either appointed or elected to the position.
“India becomes member of UN’s Commission on Status of Women, beats China in election of UN body”.
- TS Tirumurti, permanent representative of India to the United Nations announced on September 15, 2020, that India has been elected as a member of the United Nation’s Commission on Status of Women, a body of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
- India will remain a member of the prestigious body for four years from 2021 to 2025. As per TS Tirumurti, it is a ringing endorsement of India’s commitment to promoting gender equality and women’s empowerment in all the endeavors.
- Along with India, China and Afghanistan had also contested elections to the Commission on Status of Women. While India and Afghanistan had won the ballot among the 54 members, China failed to even cross the half-way mark.
Source: Jagran Josh
“Here’s why Engineer’s Day 2020 celebrated on September 15”.
- The country celebratesEngineer’s Day on September 15 to appreciate the contributions of eminent engineer Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya who was born on September 15, 1861 in a village called Muddenahalli in Karnataka.
- Visvesvaraya’s career spanned over 34 years with his first job as an assistant engineer in the Public Works Department of the Government of Bombay.
- He later joined the Mysore service as chief engineer and had contributed to several technical projects in Hyderabad, Mysore, Maharashtra and Odisha.
- Among some of his contributions include the block system of irrigation in the Deccan canals in 1899, irrigation system with water floodgates at the Khadakvasla reservoir.
- The irrigation system was later installed at Gwalior’s Tigra Dam and Mysuru’s Krishnaraja Sagara (KRS) dam, the latter of which created one of the largest reservoirs in Asia at the time.
Source: Indian Express
“Gauri Khan announces her debut book ‘My Life in Design’”.
- Interior designer, Gauri Khanhas authored her first book titled “My Life In Design”, which will be published by Penguin Random House India in 2021.
- It is a coffee-table book, in which Gauri has written about her journey as a designer.
- The essence of the book:
The book will feature unseen pictures of her interior design projects, family and residence. She will also talk about her design philosophy and style. The book will be very visually appealing with exclusive pictures and information that guide aspiring designers or those who are just generally interested in the art of design.
“Aditya Puri Conferred Lifetime Achievement Award By Euromoney 2020”.
- Managing Director of HDFC Bank,Aditya Puri has been conferred the Lifetime Achievement Award by Euromoney Awards of Excellence 2020.
- He has been awarded for his skills in building a world-class bank in India at a time where there were no similar institutions in existence.
- Euromoney’s Awards for Excellence are the awards that matter to the banks and bankers who matter.
- They were established in 1992and were the first of their kind in the global banking industry.
“Govt appoints Sameer Kumar Khare as new executive directors to Asian Development Bank”.
- Sameer Kumar Khare, additional secretary in the economic affairs department of the finance ministry and a 1989 batch IAS officer of Assam-Meghalaya cadre, will be the new executive director at Asian Development Bank.
- The fresh appointments are significant because India is seeking greater resources from the multilateral lending institutions in its fight against the coronavirus pandemic.
- Khare has been overseeing the multilateral division in the finance ministry.
“International Day of Democracy today. Here’s what UN chief says on democracy in times of COVID”.
- International Day of Democracy, a day that provides an opportunity to review the state of democracy in the world, is being observed by all UN member states today (September 15).
- Back in 2007, the United Nations General Assembly had resolved to observe 15 September as the International Day of Democracy.
- The purpose of the UNGA was to uphold and promote the principles of democracy.
- The UNGA had also invited all member states and organizations to commemorate the day in an appropriate manner that contributes to raising public awareness.
- The International Day of Democracy is seen as an opportunity to review the state of democracy in the world.
- The link between democracy and human rights is captured in article 21(3) of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Source: Indiatv News
“Infosys to acquire GuideVision for up to 30 million euros”.
- IT services major Infosys on Monday said it will acquire Czech Republic-based GuideVision for up to 30 million euros (about Rs 260.4 crore).
- The acquisition is being carried out by Infy Consulting Company Ltd, a step-down subsidiary of Infosys Ltd, a regulatory filing said.
- “GuideVision’s training academy and nearshore capabilities in Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, and presence in Germany and Finland will strengthen Infosys’ ServiceNow capabilities for its clients in Europe,” Infosys said in a statement.
- Established in 2014, GuideVision is 100 per cent-owned by founders. The company is headquartered in Prague, Czech Republic and reported revenue of 12.9 million euros in 2019.
Source: Indian Express
“Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh lays foundation stone online of Arun Jaitley Memorial Sports Complex”.
- The Union Minister of State, Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), Dr Jitendra Singh on Saturday laid foundation stone for the construction of Arun Jaitley Memorial Sports Complex at Hiranagar, Jammu in presence of Unions Sports Minister Kiren Rejiju, Lt. Governor of J&K, Manoj Sinha and the wife and daughter of late Arun Jaitley.
- During the e-inauguration, Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh said that Arun Jaitley Memorial Sports Complex at Hiranagar would be first of its kind in the Northern Region, will be among the best sports complexes’ all over India and will fulfill the much cherished dream of having a multipurpose sports complex in Jammu.
- Paying rich tributes to the Late Finance Minister of India, Arun Jaitley by calling him his mentor, a philosopher and a guide, Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh said that a promise has been fulfilled of having a multipurpose sports complex at Hiranagar, Jammu which was actually the brainchild of late Arun Jaitley and once completed, will be able to organize national and international sports events.
Source: DD News