Daily GK Update: 15th July 2020
“World Youth Skills Day being observed today”
- The World Youth Skills Day is celebrated on July 15, every year.
- This United Nations invented day aims at spreading awareness of the importance that technical and vocational education, training, and the development of new skills holds in our lives and is relevant to both local and global economies.
- World Youth Skills Day 2020 will be taking place in a very challenging context.
- The lockdown measures taken due to the global pandemic have led to the worldwide shut down of the technical and vocational education and training (TVET) institutions, that has threatened the continuity of development of skills in children.
Source: Republic World
“Railways creates swanky post-COVID coach to ensure safer journey”
- In the past few months, Indian Railways has taken numerous steps and measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 virus infection in the country.
- Sustaining the ruthless fight against COVID-19, Indian Railways’ production unit, Rail Coach Factory, Kapurthala, has developed a Post Covid Coach to fight Covid-19.
- This Post Covid Coach has design improvements in the coach like handsfree amenities, copper-coated handrails & latches, plasma air purification and titanium di-oxide coating for Covid free passenger journey.
- The coach equipped with copper-coated handrails & latches because copper degrades the virus landed on it within a few hours.
Source: Times Now News
“BCCI appoints Hemang Amin as interim CEO”
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has appointed IPL chief operating officer Hemang Amin as the interim chief executive officer (CEO).
- “Hemang Amin has been given the interim charge of CEO of BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India),” a BCCI source told ANI.
- Last week, the apex body of cricket in India had accepted the resignation of its CEO, Rahul Johri.
- “Johri had tendered his resignation a few months back and it was accepted by India’s cricket governing body today,” a source within BCCI had told ANI.
Source: Hindustan Times
“UNICEF India Partners with FICCI for #Reimagine Campaign”
- UNICEF INDIA today announced its partnership with Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry’s (FICCI), Socio Economic Development Foundation (SEDF) to jointly develop UNICEF’s #Reimagine Campaign to support the most vulnerable populations and children during the COVID-19 response and its after-math in India.
- FICCI SEDF will reach out to its membership base to garner support for the campaign and leverage its resources like cash and core assets to mobilize funds that can be utilized to help generate support for the most vulnerable population affected due to COVID disruption.
- The partnership will also help avoid potential long-term damage to business operations and employment pipelines, and their most important resource, their personnel, their children and their families.
- While children are not the face of this pandemic, they are its hidden victims and remain the most vulnerable to the broader impact of the pandemic.
“Nabard to organise ‘Digital Choupal’ on its 39th foundation day”
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (Nabard) on Thursday said it will conduct its first ‘Digital Choupal’ via video conferencing with participants of various projects initiated by it, to share their experiences about the projects they are involved in.
- Nabard is organising Digital Choupal on July 13 to mark its 39th foundation day.
- The participants in the video conference will be from seven projects — Rural Livelihoods Matter Immensely, Empowering Tribal Communities, Soil Health is Real Health, Direct Marketing to Urban Consumers, Climate Resilience, Climate Proofing of Koutuguda, and Collectivisation of Weavers.
- “Nabard shall conduct its first ‘Digital Choupal’, a video conference with project holders of seven projects, at Rajnandgaon, Chamba, Chitradurga, Nashik, Nuapada and Baghpat, joining in with their experience from the projects they have been involved in, and their outlook on taking it forward,” a release said.
“Gurbux Singh, Palash Nandi to be conferred with prestigious Mohun Bagan Ratna”
- Hockey legend Gurbux Singh and former first-class cricketer Palash Nandy will receive this year’s Mohun Bagan Ratna, the club announced on Monday.
- Ashok Kumar, a member of India’s 1975 World Cup-winning hockey team, will be given the Lifetime Achievement Award along with Pranab Ganguly (football) and Monoranjan Porel (athletics).
- The club has decided not to hold the customary ‘Mohun Bagan Day’ function on July 29 this year owing to the pandemic.
- July 29 was the date of Bagan’s IFA Shield triumph in 1911 when they defeated East Yorkshire Regiment 2-1.
Source: Telegraph India
“Wim Suurbier, Dutch Football Legend, Dies At 75”
- Netherlands and Ajax defender Wim Suurbier, a key member of the 1970s Dutch squad who played in two World Cup finals, died at the age of 75, his former club said on Sunday.
- Suurbier, who won three European championships with the legendary Ajax side of the same decade, had been in hospital since suffering a cerebral haemorrhage in April.
- “A great Ajax player is no more. Our thoughts go out to his family and friends,” the Amsterdam club said on Twitter. “509 matches for Ajax 1 (first team)… Rest in peace, brave warrior.”
- Jordi Cruyff, son of the late Dutch footballing legend Johan, said Suurbier was “a great player and an extremely loyal friend to my father and family. I hope you get to reunite up there.”
“HRD Minister releases guidelines for online education ‘Pragyata”
- Union HRD Ministry on Tuesday released the guidelines for Digital Education.
- The ministry has recommended a cap on the screen time for students.
- As per the guidelines, online classes for pre-primary students should not be for more than 30 minutes.
- It further mentions that two online sessions of up to 30-45 minutes each should be conducted for classes 1 to 8 and four sessions for classes 9 to 12.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Nitin Gadkari inaugurates new economic corridor projects worth Rs 20,000 cr in Haryana”
- Union Minister for Road Transport, Highways and MSMEs Nitin Gadkari laid the foundation stone and inaugurated highway projects today in Haryana.
- The projects are part of new economic corridors in the state and were unveiled through a web based program presided over by Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal.
- Union Minister Gadkari inaugurated and laid the foundation stones of 11 highway projects in Haryana worth over 20,000 crore rupees today.
- Giving information about the projects, Chairman, National Highways Authority of India Dr. Sukhbir Singh Sandhu said that 3 projects worth over 2,240 crore rupees were inaugurated and foundation stones for 8 projects worth over 17,000 crore rupees were laid.
Source: News On Air
“IIT Kanpur develops UV sanitizing device ‘SHUDDH’ to make your room COVID free”
- Due to Covid Pandemic People are nowadays afraid of touching anything around, specifically in the areas where masses have to come.
- To solve this problem Imagineering Laboratory department of IIT Kanpur has developed an Ultraviolet (UV) sanitizing product named SHUDH.
- Smartphone operated Handy Ultraviolet Disinfection Helper that is SHUDH has six UV lights of 15 Watts each that can be individually monitored from a distance.
- Initial testing has proved that the device at its full operation can disinfect a 10×10 squared feet room in about 15 minutes.
Source: News On Air