Daily GK Update: 15th August 2020
“India Celebrates 74th Independence Day”
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi hoisted the national flag from the ramparts of the historic Red Fort in Delhi and addressed the nation on Saturday. Prime Minister Modi was received by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh at the Red Fort.
- Prime Minister greeted the nation and said that “In this extraordinary time of Corona, Corona warriors have lived the mantra of ‘Seva Parmo Dharma.’
- Our doctors, nurses, paramedical staff, ambulance personnel, safai karmacharis, policemen, service personnel and many people are working round the clock continuously.”
- Expressing grief over loss of lives in various parts of the country due to natural calamities, Prime Minister reassured fellow citizens of full support in this hour of need.
- Prime Minister addressing the nation said India’s freedom struggle inspired the entire world.
Source: DD News
“GoM approved a e-Way bill for intra-State movement of Gold”
- A high-level ministerial panel under the Goods and Services Tax (GST) Council has favoured an e-way bill for intra-state movement of gold.
- The move will help track the movement of gold to help plug tax evasion and smuggling amid rising prices and subdued GST collections.
- While the idea of a country-wide introduction was rejected on feasibility grounds, willing states may be allowed to introduce it themselves.
- The group of ministers (GoM) on e-way bill for gold movement, headed by Kerala finance minister, also discussed the idea of introducing e-invoicing for gold transactions, which will be further discussed in the next meeting.
Source: Business Standards
“India sends 58 metric tonnes of emergency humanitarian aid to Lebanon”
- India on Friday sent 58 tonnes of emergency humanitarian aid to Lebanon in an air force plane to assist the people affected by the explosions in Beirut on August 4.
- The external affairs ministry said a separate consignment of personal protective equipment (PPE), including surgical gloves and surgical gowns, is being sent to Lebanon following a spike in Covid-19 cases.
- This will reach Beirut in the coming days.
- The emergency humanitarian aid was despatched on Friday morning in a C-17 heavy lift aircraft of the Indian Air Force (IAF) in response to an assessment of requirements by Lebanese authorities.
- The aid sent by India includes emergency medical supplies, wheat flour, sugar, pulses, and relief materials such as blankets, dignity kits and sleeping mats, which are required by the large number of people left homeless by the explosion.
Source: Hindustan Times
“DIAT develops Biodegradable Face Mask and Anti-Microbial body suit”
- Pune-based Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT) has developed Ayurvedic biodegradable face mask and anti-microbial body suit.
- The transfer of technology (ToT) for this product was signed in June 2020 between DIAT and Kolhapur-based Siddheshwar Techtessile Pvt Ltd for actual production on mass scale to help contain the spread of Covid-19.
- The company has launched the first-ever Ayurvedic biodegradable face mask named Pavitrapati for sale.
- Siddheshwar Techtessile has developed 10,000 masks and has received good response for the product.
Source: The Hindu Businessline
“HDFC Bank launches ‘Shaurya KGC Card’ for Armed Forces”
- Private sector lender HDFC Bank on Friday has launched a ‘Shaurya KGC Card’ for the armed forces.
- Based on Kisan Credit Card guidelines, this unique product is loaded with several new features.
- ‘Shaurya KGC Card’ will benefit over 45 lakh Indian armed forces personnel.
- The Shaurya KGC Card offers a life cover of ₹10 lakh as against ₹2 lakh for an average card.
- Considering the nature of armed forces personnel’s job, this card comes with simple and easy documentation process that does not require physical presence.
Source: Live Mint
“SBI rolls out YONO Krishi review to empower farmers”
- State Bank of India (SBI) has introduced “KCC (Kisan Credit Card) Review option” on its digital agricultural solution platform, YONO Krishi, to enable farmers to access their KCC limit in four clicks.
- With this added feature, farmers will no longer need to visit the bank branch to apply for a revision in their KCC limit.
- “KCC Review on YONO Krishi is expected to benefit more than 75 lakh farmers having KCC accounts with SBI.
- The feature of paperless KCC review will not only help farmers save costs and effort involved in applying for revision of the KCC limit, but also make the process quicker for them especially during the harvesting season
Source: Insurance Notes.net
“Harbhajan Singh appointed as brand ambassador of eBikeGo”
- Amritsar based e-mobility start-up eBikeGO on Tuesday announced the appointment of Indian cricketer Harbhajan Singh as its brand ambassador.
- The cricketer has come on board for one year to help promote the company as it looks to scale-up by increasing geographical footprint, adding new customer segments, and targeting new business use cases to widen the appeal for electric mobility.
- Singh, who is going to be the face of the brand, will have an active presence on company’s website and campaigns across media.
- The company’s campaign will leverage all digital marketing platforms, offline channels, and ground initiatives targeted at consumer segment where association with Harbhajan will add significant value.
Source: Live Mint
“Prime Minister announces launch of National Digital Health Mission”
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the National Digital Health Mission (NDHM).
- Every Indian will have an Aadhar like ID card containing all relevant information about his/her medical conditions and treatments and tests.
- Addressing the nation from the ramparts of the Red Fort on Independence Day, Mr Modi said that the initiative which is completely technology based will revolutionise the health sector in India.
- The vision of National Digital Health Mission is to create a national digital health ecosystem which provides timely and efficient access to inclusive, affordable, and safe healthcare to all citizens.
“RBI tightens norms for core investment companies”
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) announced stricter guidelines for core investment companies (CICs), mandating more disclosures, better risk management and a simpler group structure.
- The new guidelines were based on the recommendations of the Working Group to Review Regulatory and Supervisory Framework for CICs, headed by Tapan Ray, former secretary of the corporate affairs ministry.
- According to the revised guidelines, the GRMC will have to analyze material risks to which the group, its businesses and subsidiaries are exposed.
Source: Live Mint
“BSE signs pact with Gujarat govt’s iHub to help start-ups”
- Leading stock exchange BSE on Friday said it has joined hands with iHub, an incubation setup established by the Gujarat government, to encourage and support startups in raising capital.
- Besides, the exchange will offer multiple benefits in terms of gaining visibility, branding, credibility and unlocking the value.
- The exchange has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Gujarat Student Startup and Innovation Hub (i-Hub) in this regard.
- i-HUB, a vibrant incubation set-up, established under student startup innovation policy by Gujarat government education department, and is focused on developing startups as the catalyzers for economic growth in the state thereby providing a conducive ecosystem for promoting their growth.
- Ajay Thakur, head of BSE SME and startups, said the association will help the startup in the state of Gujarat to grow and create employment.
Source: Outlook India