Daily GK Update: 14th July 2020
“Poland’s Duda narrowly beats Trzaskowski in presidential vote”
- The National Electoral Commission said Mr Duda had won 51.2% of the votes.
- It is Poland’s slimmest presidential election victory since the end of communism in 1989.
- One of the major issues of the election was the future of the country’s strained relations with the European Union.
- Mr Duda is a social conservative allied with the government led by the nationalist Law and Justice (PiS) party, while Mr Trzaskowski is the socially liberal mayor of Warsaw.
“US remains India’s top trading partner for 2nd consecutive year in 2019-20”
- The US remained India’s top trading partner for the second consecutive fiscal in 2019-20, which shows increasing economic ties between the two countries.
- According to the data of the commerce ministry, in 2019-20, the bilateral trade between the US and India stood at $88.75 billion as against $87.96 billion in 2018-19.
- The US is one of the few countries with which India has a trade surplus.
- The trade gap between the countries has increased to $17.42 billion in 2019-20 from $16.86 billion in 2018-19, the data showed.
Source: Business Standard
“FICCI survey predicts 4.5% contraction in India’s FY21 GDP”
- With economic activities coming to a halt amid the Covid-19 pandemic and the lockdown, the Indian economy is expected to record a negative 4.5 per cent growth rate in the current financial year, according to the FICCI’s Economic Outlook Survey.
- The minimum and maximum growth estimate stood at (-) 6.4 per cent and 1.5 per cent, respectively, for FY21, it said.
- The quarterly median forecasts indicated 14.2 per cent contraction in the gross domestic product (GDP) in the first quarter of FY21, it added.
- The signs of an impending slowdown have been sharply accentuated by the Covid-19 pandemic-induced lockdown.
Source: The Economics Times
“Critic, columnist Sanghvi dies at 100”
- Noted political commentator, columnist and critic Nagindas Sanghvi died after a brief illness at a hospital in Surat on Sunday afternoon. He was 100.
- Sanghvi has been survived by two daughters – Harshaben and Ushaben.
- A number of noted personalities, including Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chief Minister Vijay Rupani, expressed grief on Sanghvi’s demise.
- Speaking with The Indian Express, Sanghvi’s elder daughter Harshaben said that for the past two years, her father had shifted from Mumbai to Surat.
Source: The Indian Express
“Ruskin Bond’s new book will mark 70 years of his writing journey”
- Ruskin Bond’s new book, A Song of India is all set to release in July this year.
- Published by Puffin Books, the book is set in 1951, and traces the beginning of Bond’s writing career.
- Unfolding from the inception, the memoir series inevitably goes back to Dehra.
- The illustrated book will mark 70th year of the author’s writing journey.
Source: The Indian Express
“Tn Chief Minister Edappadi Palaniswami Honoured With Prestigious ‘Paul Harris Fellow’!”
- Tamil Nadu’s Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami on Friday, was honoured by the United States.
- He was recognised for rendering vital services for people.
- The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International, headquartered in Chicago awarded CM Edappadi K Palaniswami with Paul Harris Fellow recognition.
- This award is awarded to honour people who render efficient services in providing sanitation, drinking water services, preventing diseases, promoting world peace, rendering environmental services, and so on to its people.
Source: Behind Woods
“ISRO Chief Sivan Named As 2020 Von Karman Award Recipient By IAA, To Be Conferred In March”
- ISRO chief Dr Kailasavadivoo Sivan continues to make a name for his self as the space scientist has now been named as the recipient of the 2020 Von Karman Award of the International Academy of Astronautics.
- The award which is the highest distinction of the Academy will be conferred in March 2021 in Paris.
- Charles Elachi was the previous recipient of the award which has been named after Theodore von Karman who was an aerospace engineer and notably known for his key advances in aerodynamics.
- The International Academy of Astronautics (IAA) was also founded by von Karman who was the first President of the organization which is committed to expanding the frontiers in space.
Source: Republic World
“Chhattisgarh’s CM Darpan Portal and mobile app get award by IT institution”
- The Mukhyamantri Darpan and mobile App which contains the details of all the flagship schemes of the Chhattisgarh government including the ambitious ‘Suraji Gaon Yojna’ has been awarded “Elites Excellence Awards-2020” at the national level.
- The state of Chhattisgarh has been awarded this honour by the country’s prestigious IT institution Elites Technomedia under the ‘Digital India initiative’.
- A three-day virtual conference is being organised in the country from July 10 to 12.
- This virtual conference was inaugurated by Union Minister Nitin Gadkari in New Delhi on July 10 and Chhattisgarh was given an e-certificate on this occasion, according to an official communication.
“Renowned ceramic artist Jyotsna Bhatt passes away”
- While her deep connection with nature reflected in the numerous forms carefully moulded by Jyotsna Bhatt, it also perhaps influenced the very medium of her practice.
- At a time when few artists in India were experimenting with delicate clay and ceramics, Bhatt decided to give the earthy materials numerous shapes in her kiln — from robust cats to chirping buds, ethereal lotus buds and earth-toned platters.
- Known to be one of India’s best-known ceramic artists, Baroda-based Bhatt breathed her last on July 11, two days after she suffered a stroke. She was 80.
- She was a gentle and generous person, who made wonderful work.
Source: The Indian Express
“MP govt to run ‘Roko -Toko’ campaign for those who do not wear masks”
- In Madhya Pradesh, the government will now run a Roko -Toko means stop and campaign for those who do not wear masks.
- As the Use of masks is mandatory in all public places in the state.
- Now selected voluntary organizations will provide masks to the people who do not wear masks in public places and will charge an amount of Rs 20 per mask from the concerned.
- In the guidelines issued by the state government, it has been said that the collector will select voluntary organizations in the district for this work.
Source: News On Air