Daily GK Update: 14th January 2020
Prof. MS Swaminathan & Dr. G Muniratnam Selected for First Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu National Awards
- Eminent Agricultural Scientist Dr M S Swaminathan and veteran social worker, Dr. Gutta Muniratnam have been chosen as the first recipients of ‘Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu National Award for Excellence’ and ‘Muppavarapu National Award for Social Service’’ respectively.
- The announcement for the awards was made during the 10th Anniversary Celebrations of Muppavarapu Foundation and Sankranthi Sambaralu (festivities) organized in Hyderabad on 09 January 2020.
- The Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu National Award for Excellence is instituted by the Muppavarapu Foundation.
- Muppavarapu National Award for Social Service has been launched by the Swarna Bharat Trust.
- Each award carries a cash prize of Rupees Five Lakh and citation.
- Prof. M.S. Swaminathan has been awarded for his distinguished contributions to the field of agriculture.
Indian Railways to provide Content on Demand Service (CoD) on Trains and Stations
- Content on Demand (CoD) will soon be available in all Premium/Express/Mail trains and Suburban trains of Indian Railways. With an aim to generate more non fare revenue, Railway Board had entrusted RailTel, a miniratna PSU under Ministry of Railways, with providing the Content on Demand service to passengers in trains.
- On its part, RailTel has selected M/s Margo Network, a subsidiary of Zee Entertainment as the Digital Entertainment Service Provider (DESP) for providing Content on Demand (CoD) Service on trains and railway stations.
- The project will be implemented in two years and the provision of content such as movies, shows, educational programs etc. will be made available both in paid and unpaid formats for a contract period of 10 years which includes first two years of implementation.
Source : Press Information Bureau
Indian Railways, SBI come together to offer doorstep banking in 585 stations
- Indian Railways’ South Central Railway(SCR) zone has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with State Bank of India(SBI) for ‘doorstep banking’.
The signed MoU will help in direct pickup of earnings covering all 585 Railway stations over SCR Zone. With the facility of direct pick up of cash from all the railway stations it will save the tedious and complex activity of movement of cash earnings through ‘cash safes’ by trains.
- The newly introduced facility of door step banking as per the MoU will do away with the difficulties faced earlier, besides increasing the pace of financial transactions and digitization of remittance of cash earnings of the Railways.
Source : Livemint
Retail inflation surges to over 5-year high of 7.35% in December
Retail inflation surged to an over five-year high in December on the back of rising food prices, breaching the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) upper tolerance limit of 6 per cent at the time of economic growth slowdown. Inflation based on the consumer price index (CPI) rose to 7.35 per cent in December, against 5.54 per cent in the previous month and 2.18 per cent in December 2018, data released by the Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation (MoSPI) showed on Monday. December inflation was the highest since July 2014, when it stood at 7.39 per cent. The CPI last breached RBI’s upper band of inflation target in July 2016.
Source : Business Standard
Indian Oil launches special NATO class diesel for Indian Navy
- State-owned Indian Oil Corp (IOC) has developed a special class diesel conforming to NATO grade for use in ships and vessels of Indian Navy.
- Vice Admiral G S Pabby launched the Upgraded High Flash High-Speed Diesel (HFHSD- IN 512) in presence of IOC Director (R&D) SSV Ramakumar and IOC Director (Refineries) S M Vaidya, a company statement said here.
Source : Energy World
Fourth Armed Forces Veterans Day
- Since 2017, Armed Forces Veterans Day is observed each year on 14th January as a mark of respect and recognition of the services rendered by Filed Marshal KM Cariappa OBE – the first Indian Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Armed Forces who retired on 14 Jan 53. Commemoration of Armed Forces Veterans Day acknowledges and honours the selfless devotion and sacrifice of our veterans in the service of the nation.
- This year, the 4th Armed Forces Veterans Day at Delhi will commence with a homage ceremony at the National War Memorial, where wreaths will be laid by CISC, serving three star officers as well as veteran officers and JCOs from all three services.
Source : Source : Press Information Bureau
Statue of Unity finds place in ‘8 Wonders of SCO’
- The 182-meter tall Statue of Unity in Gujarat has been included in the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation’s ‘8 Wonders of SCO’ list, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar announced on Monday.
- Taking to Twitter, Jaishankar appreciated the SCO’s efforts towards promoting tourism among member nations and asserted that the statue’s inclusion in the list will “surely serve as an inspiration”.
- “Appreciated the #SCO’s efforts to promote tourism among member states. The “8 Wonders of SCO”, which includes the #StatueofUnity, will surely serve as an inspiration,” Jaishankar tweeted.
Source : Business Standard