Daily GK Update: 14th December 2019
14 December: National Energy Conservation day
- National Energy Conservation Day is celebrated every year on 14th December in India. In India Energy Conservation Act was implemented by Energy Efficiency Bureau (BEE) in 2001.
- Energy Efficiency Bureau (BEE) is a constitutional body which works under Government of India and helps in the development of policies and strategies to reduce use of energy.
- The objective of Energy Conservation Act in India is to appoint professional, qualified and energetic managers and auditors who have expertise in policy-making, financial management and implementation of energy-related projects.
Source : Jagran Josh
Angela Merkel tops Forbes most-powerful women list, again; FM Nirmala Sitharaman stands at 34th spot
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has topped Forbes’ list of world’s most-powerful women for the ninth year running. The publication, which annually compiles a list of influential women leaders from around the world in politics, business and entertainment, hailed Merkel for her steely reserve.
- The 65-year-old was praised for standing up to US President Donald Trump and for allowing over a million Syrian refugees into Germany.
- Indian Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, too, found a spot on Forbes’ list. She stood at number 34, ranking ahead of Queen Elizabeth II, who is at number 40, and Ivanka Trump, who stood at number 42.
Drones to be deployed to destroy hidden marijuana plantations
- The Centre has decided to deploy drones to destroy marijuana plantations before the crop is harvested and finds its way into the hands of the drug cartels
- According to officials privy to the development, India is following the modus operandi adopted by the US in dealing with marijuana plantations
- Last year alone saw 414 tons of plant being seized in more than 24,000 cases. That figure is likely to go up this year once the NCB data is collated
Source : FirstPost
7th Economic Census expected to be complete by March 2020
Nagaland brings Dimapur under Inner Line Permit regime
- The Nagaland government has extended the Inner Line Permit (ILP) regime to the Dimapur district, according to an official notification.
- Dimapur, the commercial hub of the state, was the only district that was not under the ILP regime unlike the rest of Nagaland, which came into being in 1963.
- “In exercise of the powers conferred under Section 2 of the Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulation, 1873, and in the interest of the public, the Governor of Nagaland is pleased to extend the Inner Line to cover the entire District of Dimapur with immediate effect,” said a notification dated December 9, issued by chief secretary Temjen Toy.
Source : The Economic Times
Trakea: A Unique bar-coding software used by Haryana Police
- The Haryana Police Department has adopted a unique barcoding software.
- The cases are allocated to the biotechnology experts through automated case allocation.
- The experts will not know about the details of the case or the names associated with case.
Source : The World News Monitor
Government is to allot 6 Coal Mines to reduce coal imports
On 13 December 2019, the Ministry of Coal initiated the auction process of coal mines. The move by the government is to reduce coal imports. After the poor participation of investors in the previous rounds of coal auctions, the government is now finally considering allotment of six mines soon.
Ceiling prices of 21 key medicines raised by 50%; NPPA invokes DPCO 2013
- The government has for the first time invoked the Drug Price Control Order, 2013, (DPCO, 2013) to raise the prices of 21 formulations or medicines that are under price regulation to ensure their availability. This would be a one-time increase of 50 per cent above the present ceiling prices.
- The pharma industry has been lobbying for this for almost two years, citing a steep rise in prices of active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) or bulk drugs largely imported from China.
Source : Business Standard
With a view to promote sustainable agriculture and climate-resilient farming systems the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the National Bank of Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) to facilitate the action research – the research carried out with the active participation of farmers to provide solutions for the challenges.
Source : Indus Dictum