Daily GK Update: 14th August 2020
“Union Sports Ministry to organise Fit India Freedom Run”
- The Sports Ministry is set to organize the largest country-wide run, the Fit India Freedom Run from August 15 to October 2.
- In keeping with the current pandemic situation and social distancing norms, the government has decided to encourage participants of the event to run at their own pace — anywhere and at any time of their convenience.
- Additionally, they can break up their runs over several days in this period. The total kilometers clocked can be tracked using a Global Positioning System (GPS) watch or manually.
- The mega event will be launched by Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju on August 14.
- The event is being organised to mark the 74th Independence Day on August 15 to the 151st birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi on October 2.
“Price Monitoring & Resource Unit established in Karnataka”
- Union Minister of Chemicals and Fertilizers ShriDV Sadananda Gowda has announced the establishment of a Price Monitoring and Resource Unit (PMRU) in
- The PMRU has been established by National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority(NPPA), Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, Government of India, in association with Karnataka State Drug Control Department.
- PMRU will assist NPPA in monitoring the prices of drugs, ensuring availability of drugs as well as raising consumer awareness.
“SS Mundra becomes new non-executive Chairman of IBH”
- Mortgage player Indiabulls Housing Finance (IBH) on Wednesday said former RBI deputy governor S S Mundra has been appointed as its non-executive chairman with immediate effect.
- Mundra had joined the board of IBH in 2018 as an independent director.
- The company said its executive chairman Sameer Gehlaut has taken up the position of chief executive officer of another listed firm promoted by him — Indiabulls Ventures Ltd.
- Going forward, Gehlaut will focus full time on the chief executive’s role at Indiabulls Ventures for growing its consumer business in finance and healthcare on App Dhani.
- Gehlaut will also serve as non-executive, non-independent director of Indiabulls Housing Finance Ltd.
Source: Live Mint
“Israel & US successfully tested Arrow 2 defence missile system”
- Israel’s Defense Ministry said Thursday it conducted a successful test of the country’s advanced missile defense system against long-range ballistic attacks.
- Defense Minister Benny Gantz said the successful flight test of the Arrow-2 interceptor was part of Israel’s technological effort that “ensures that we will always be one step ahead of our enemies.”
- The test was conducted overnight in central Israel, jointly with the US Missile Defense Agency.
- Arrow-2 is part of the multi-layered system Israel has developed to defend against both short- and mid-range rockets fired from Gaza and Lebanon, as well as Iran’s long-range missiles.
Source: Financial Express
“Dalai Lama to release ‘Our Only Home: A Climate Appeal to the World”
- The Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, will release a new book on climate change with German environmental journalist Franz Alt in November
- The book has been titled “Our Only Home: A Climate Appeal to the World”.
- The Dalai Lama in the book calls on political decision makers to fight against deadlock and ignorance on the issue of climate change and to stand up for a different, more climate-friendly world and for the younger generation to assert their right to regain its future.
- It follows his 2019 publication dedicated to children, “The Seed of Compassion: Lessons from the Life and Teachings of His Holiness the Dalai Lama”, his autobiography and a book on philosophy.
Source: Outlook India
“LIC Launches special campaign for revival of lapsed life policies”
- Life Insurance Corporation has launched a two-month campaign to encourage people to continue revival of their lapsed policies.
- The campaign will start on August 10 and run till October 9.
- Policies of specific eligible plans can be revived within five years from date of the first unpaid premium subject to certain terms and conditions.
- The policyholders will get 20 per cent late fee concession for revival while 25 per cent concession between Rs 1 lakh and Rs 3 lakh.
Source: The Statesman
“Congress spokesperson Rajiv Tyagi passes away in Ghaziabad”
- Congress spokesperson Rajiv Tyagi passed away on Wednesday evening after suffering from a heart attack.
- He was rushed to Ghaziabad’s Yashoda Hospital after he suddenly felt unwell and fell unconscious at his residence.
- Doctors declared him brought dead.
- Congress interim chief Sonia Gandhi, party general-secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra and party leader Rahul Gandhi spoke to Rajiv Tyagi’s wife over phone and extended their condolences.
- Expressing grief, they told her that the Congress lost a leader who was dedicated towards the nation and the society.
Source: India Today
“Defence Minister unveils Naval Innovation and Indigenization Organization”
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh launched the Naval Innovation and Indigenization Organization (NIIO) through an online webinar.
- The NIIO puts in place dedicated structures for the end users to interact with academia and industry towards fostering innovation and indigenisation for self-reliance in defence.
- Vice Admiral Dinesh K Tripathi, AVSM, NM has become the Director General Naval Operations (DGNO).
- The Draft Defence Acquisition Policy 2020 (DAP 20) rolled out by the Defence Ministry last month envisaged establishment of Innovation and Indigenization Organisation by the Service Headquarters.
- Indian Navy already has a functional Directorate of Indigenization and the new structures created will build upon the ongoing indigenization initiatives, as well as focus on innovation.
“Indian Coast Guard launches Offshore Patrol Vessel ‘Sarthak’”
- An Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) for the Indian Coast Guard was launched today and re-christened as Indian Coast Guard Ship ‘Sarthak’.
- The launching ceremony held at Goa Shipyard Limited was conducted through video conferencing from Coast Guard headquarters at New Delhi.
- Sarthak is the 4th in the series of five OPVs deployed by the Coast Guard to enhance maritime security.
- It has been designed and built indigenously by Goa Shipyard Limited in line with the Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision of ‘Make in India’.
- The Ship is fitted with state-of-the-art Navigation and Communication equipment, sensor and machinery.
- Defence Secretary, Dr Ajay Kumar; Director General Indian Coast Guard, K Natarajan, Chairman of GSL and senior officials of Defence Ministry were also present on the occasion.
“‘Khaje’, ‘Harmal Chilli’ and ‘Moira Banana’ of Goa gets GI tag”
- Goa’s traditional festive sweet dish ‘Khaje’, spicy Harmal Chilli and Myndoli Banana (Moira Banana) has obtained Geographical Indication (GI) tag from the Geographical Indications Registry.
- A GI tag protects the produce from being illegally used, and ensures benefits to the local growers’ community.