Daily GK Update: 12th July 2020
“Sure, pure and secure’: PM Modi inaugurates Asia’s largest solar plant in MP’s Rewa”
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Friday Asia’s largest Rewa Ultra Mega Solar Power Project in Madhya Pradesh’s Rewa will not only help the state but the entire world as a secure foundation for a clean environment.
- The Prime Minister dedicated the 750-megawatt ultra mega solar power plant, which the government has said will reduce emission equivalent to approximately 15 lakh tonne of carbon dioxide every year, to the nation through video conferencing.
- “Solar energy is going to be a major medium of energy needs not only today but in the 21st century. Because solar energy is sure, pure and secure,” the Prime Minister said.
- “Today, Rewa has really scripted history. Rewa is identified with the name of mother Narmada and the white tiger. Now, the name of Asia’s largest solar power project has also been added to it,” he said.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Gyanendro Ningombam named as Hockey India’s officiating president”
- Gyanendro Ningombam was named as the officiating president of Hockey India in an Executive Board meeting held on Friday.
- The decision followed the resignation of Mohd Mushtaque Ahmad, who stepped down from the position on July 07, citing family commitments.
- Before taking over the mantle in 2018, Ahmad served the National Governing body in the capacity of Secretary General.
- Under his presidentship, Hockey India went on to successfully host the prestigious FIH Men’s World Cup in 2018 as well as the FIH Olympic Qualifiers in 2019 where both the men and women national teams qualified for the Tokyo Olympic Games.
Source: Times Now News
“Flipkart Signs MoU With Karnataka Govt To Promote Local Art, Craft And Handlooms”
- Homegrown e-commerce marketplace Flipkart on Friday said it has signed an MoU with Karnataka MSME and Mines department to promote the states arts, crafts and handloom sectors by bringing them on to e-commerce and providing market access.
- The partnership under the Flipkart Samarth programme will enable local artisans, weavers and craftsmen of Karnataka to showcase their hallmark products to a pan-India customer base, the company said in a release.
- Both the Government of Karnataka and the Flipkart Group will focus on creating avenues to increase business and trade inclusion opportunities for these underserved segments of the society, thereby adding further thrust to Made in India efforts, it said.
- The partnership will see renowned Karnataka based brands- Cauvery – Karnataka Handicrafts Development Corporation and Priyadarshini Handlooms, part of Karnataka Handlooms Development Corporation joining the Flipkart Samarth programme.
Source: Business World
“England 1966 World Cup Hero Jack Charlton Dies At 85”
- Leeds [UK], July 11 (ANI): England 1966 World Cup hero and former Leeds United legend Jack Charlton has died at the age of 85 on Friday night (local time) following a long-term illness.
- United mourned the demise of Charlton who made record 773 appearances for the club over a 23-year period as a player, becoming one of the all-time great central defenders in the game.
- He won his first England cap against Scotland on April 10, 1965 and was part of Sir Alf Ramsay’s England World Cup squad in 1966.
- With the Three Lions, Charlton played in every match during the 1966 tournament which England went on to win, defeating West Germany 4-2 in the final at Wembley, England’s only World Cup success to date.
Source: Business World
“Entrepreneur Rik Mehta becomes first Indian-American to win GOP primary for Senate from New Jersey”
- Entrepreneur Rik Mehta has become the first Indian-American to win the Republican primary for the Senate seat from the US state of New Jersey.
- He will face Democratic incumbent Senator Cory Booker in the November elections.
- Mehta, a former US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) official, defeated his nearest rival Hirsh Singh, also an Indian-American, in the Republican, also known as the GOP (Grand Old Party), primaries held on July 7 by a margin of approximately 13,743 votes, according to preliminary results.
- Counting of votes due to mail in ballots resulted in the delay in announcing the election results.
Source: The Economic Times
“Netflix signs deal with WeWork for 8,860 sq ft workspace in Mumbai”
- Video streaming giant Netflix has signed a flexible deal with real estate company WeWork that offers shared workspaces.
- The streaming giant has secured an entire floor at the Nesco Coworking Centre in Goregaon, Mumbai.
- The floor is around 8,860 square feet in area and has capacity for 320 seats, according to The Economic Times.
- The deal was signed on June 30, according to people aware of the deal, reports the daily.
Source: Business Today
“State-Level E-Lok Adalat To Be Held Via Video Conferencing In Chhattisgarh”
- For the first time in the judicial history of the country, a State-level e-Lok Adalat will be held in Bilaspur through video conferencing on Saturday.
- The e-Lok Adalat will be inaugurated by Chief Justice PR Ramchandra Menon at 10:30 AM in the video conferencing room of Chhattisgarh High Court.
- Live streaming of this program will also be done. The cases will be resolved by mutual consent between the parties sitting at home.
- Executive President of Chhattisgarh State Legal Services Authority Justice Prashant Mishra informed that more than 3,000 cases will be heard in more than 200 benches of various districts across the state including the High Court.
Source: Business World
“ADB & Education Above All joint Projects worth $100 million for quality Primary Education for Out-of-School Children”
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Qatar-based Education Above All (EAA) Foundation have signed an agreement to carry out $100 million in joint projects to put out-of-school and at-risk children into quality primary education.
- Signing the 5-year agreement were Director General of ADB’s Strategy, Policy, and Partnerships Department Tomoyuki Kimura and Foundation Chief Executive Officer Fahad al Sulaiti at a special side event to the United Nations High Level Political Forum 2020.
- Even before the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, there was a lack of financial resources to meet educational needs.
- In the wake of COVID-19, educational requirements are now competing with other critical needs for funds.
“Tropical Storm Fay makes landfall in New Jersey”
- Tropical Storm Fay made landfall Friday in New Jersey, about 10 miles north-northeast of Atlantic City, according to the National Hurricane Center.
- The storm contains maximum sustained winds of about 45 mph, with higher gusts, but was weakening.
- It was moving north at 14 mph and should pick up speed through the evening and overnight as it moves through southeastern New York and western New England.
- Minor flooding was reported and there were no immediate reports of significant impact.
“Singapore elections: PM Loong led PAP returns to power with 83 of 93 seats”
- Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s ruling People’s Action Party (PAP) has returned to power, winning 83 of the 93 seats contested in Friday’s General Election, even as the Opposition registered minor gains.
- Lee, 68, was re-elected from his Group Representation Constituency (GRC) of Ang Mo Kio.
- The prime minister led his party’s GRC team of Gan Thiam Poh, Darryl David, Ng Ling Ling and Nadia Ahmad Samdin.
- Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Heng Swee Keat was also re-elected.
Source: Business Standard