Daily GK Update: 12th January 2020
In naval landmark, Tejas lands on aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya
- In a major landmark for indigenous Indian aviation, the naval version of the Tejas light combat aircraft (LCA) landed for the first time on an aircraft carrier, INS Vikramaditya, on Saturday.
- This takes India into a select group of nations — the US, UK, Russia, France, and China — that have developed aircraft capable of landing and taking off from the severely constrained confines of an aircraft carrier deck, which is barely 200 metres long. During World War II, Japan too had developed carrier-capable fighters, but has not done so thereafter.
Source: Business Standard
PM Modi attends 150th celebration of Kolkata Port Trust
- On the 150th celebration of Kolkata Port Trust, Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated the Port Anthem at Netaji Indoor Stadium in Kolkata.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that Kolkata Port holds important place in the history of India.
- He added that port is not just for traders but has also seen a lot of legends pass through it.
- PM Modi presents rs. 501 cr final instalments of pension funds.
- Prime Minister Modi also dedicated a Commemorative Stamp to mark 150 years of Kolkata port trust to nation.
- He announced the renaming of the Kolkata Port Trust to Dr. Shyama Prasad Mookerjee Port
Source: DD News
Govt promulgates ordinance for amendment in laws to ease auction of coal mines
- The government on Saturday announced promulgation of the ordinance for amendment in the Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) (MMDR) Act, 1957 and the Coal Mines (Special Provisions) Act, 2015 in order to ease auction of coal mines, allow FDI and enhance ease of doing business.
- The Union Cabinet had recently approved the amendments which intend to open up new areas of growth in the coal and mining sector, an official statement said.
Source: The Economic Times
January 12: National Youth Day
- National Youth Day or Yuva Diwas is observed on 12 January across India. The day is celebrated every year to commemorate the birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda. It aims to create awareness and to provide knowledge to the youth about the rights in India.
- The main aim of the celebration of the Youth day is to propagate the philosophy and the ideals of Swami Vivekananda for which he lived and worked.
- The theme of the National Youth Day 2020 is “Channelizing Youth Power for Nation Building”. It aims to inspire the youth generations and to educate them to behave properly in society.
“Cyber AASHVAST” Cyber Crime Prevention Unit launched in Gandhinagar, Gujarat
- On Saturday, Gujarat Police initiated two projects – VISWAS and Cyber AASHVAST – aimed at improving law and order, detecting crime, traffic management and policing against cyber crime in the state.
- As part of VISWAS – Video Integration and State Wide Advanced Security – over 7,000 CCTV cameras are being installed at traffic junctions, entry and exit points and other strategic locations in 41 cities of Gujarat.
- The camera footage will be manned in a pyramid style structure starting from a state command and control centre at the top, which will control 34 District Command and Control Centres, which in turn have the responsibility of manning the CCTV cameras in their respective districts.
Source: The Indian Express