Daily GK Update: 11th January 2020
BSF erecting new steel fence along Pak, B’desh border
- The Border Security Force (BSF) is erecting new uncut steel fence to plug vulnerable and infiltration-prone patches along the frontier with Pakistan and Bangladesh and the Government has expedited the proposed plans to install a smart fence along these borders within the next five years.
- The smart fence or laser fence entails deployment of surveillance gadgets and anti-infiltration alarms.
- The uncut single-row fence, with loops of concertina wires on top, is being erected at a 60-km border stretch near Amritsar in Punjab.
- A ‘pilot project’ of this new fence is also being tested at a 7-km stretch at Silchar in Assam along Indo-Bangladesh border and is being analysed by the BSF for a full rollout. While this fence costs over Rs 2 crore per kilometre, the cost is expected to come down if implemented on a large scale, officials said.
Source: The Pioneer
India engages with Iran to keep Strait of Hormuz safe
- India was a key participant at a special meeting in Tehran this week on Hormuz Peace Initiative, which seeks stability in one of the world’s busiest and strategically located shipping lanes amid escalating US-Iran tensions.
- The initiative, led by Iran to stabilise the Strait of Hormuz, the gateway for a significant amount of global oil supplies, saw participation from key regional players including Oman and India besides Afghanistan and China, officials in the know told ET.
Source: The Economic Times
China identifies new strain of coronavirus as source of pneumonia outbreak
- Chinese researchers investigating the cause of a mysterious pneumonia outbreak have discovered a new strain of coronavirus, a species of viruses that can cause deadly illnesses such as severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS), according to Chinese state media and the World Health Organization.
- A group of Chinese experts this week isolated and obtained the genome sequence of the new virus, which is believed to be responsible for sickening dozens of people who visited a wild-animal market last month in Wuhan, in central China, state media reported Thursday.
Source: The Washington Post
Amit Shah inaugurates state-of-the-art portal to tackle cyber crimes
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Friday inaugurated the state-of-the-art Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre (I4C) and National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal through which people can report cyber crimes online.
- A home ministry statement said the portal will let all cyber crime related complaints be accessed by the law enforcement agencies in the states and union territories to take action as per the law.
Source: The Economic Times
Govt launches mission to develop steel sector in eastern India
- Union Steel Minister Dharmendra Pradhan on Saturday launched ‘Mission Purvodaya’ which aims at accelerated development of eastern India through integrated steel hub.
- The eastern belt has the potential to add more than 75 per cent of the country’s incremental steel capacity envisioned by the National Steel Policy, he said adding it is expected that out of the 300 million tonne capacity by 2030-31, over 200 million tonne can come from this region alone.
Source: Business Standard
Government releases State Energy Efficiency Index 2019
- Union Government today released the State Energy Efficiency Index 2019, which tracks the progress of Energy Efficiency initiatives in 36 States and Union Territories. Power Minister R K Singh released the index in New Delhi.
- The index is developed by Bureau of Energy Efficiency in association with Alliance for an Energy Efficient Economy. It will help states to contribute towards national goals on energy security and climate action by helping drive Energy Efficiency policies and programmme implementation at the state and local level.
Source: News Services Division