Daily GK Update: 11th August 2020
“Max Verstappen wins 70th Anniversary Grand Prix”
- Red Bull’s Max Verstappen took a sensational surprise victory in the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix to bring Mercedes’ domination to an end.
- Verstappen’s win was founded on his car being kinder to its tyres than the Mercedes of Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas and the Dutchman capitalised brilliantly.
- Hamilton fought back from early struggles to catch and pass Bottas for second place with two laps to go.
- Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc was outstanding in taking fourth on a one-stop strategy.
“PM Launches financial facility under Agriculture Infrastructure Fund”
- PM Modi launched a financing facility of Rs 1 lakh crore under the Agriculture Infrastructure Fund via video conferencing.
- The Prime Minister also released the sixth installment of funds of Rs 17,000 crore to 8.5 crore farmers under the PM-KISAN scheme.
- The mission of one country-one mandi for which work was going on for the last 7 years, is now being completed, PM Modi said that through the first e-National Agriculture Market (e-NAM), a technology-based system was created, and by making law, the farmer was freed from the market and market tax. “Now the farmer has many options.”
Source: Financial Express
“NPCI launches omni-channel loyalty platform titled ‘nth Reward’”
- The National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI) has launched a loyalty platform named ‘nth Rewards’.
- Here nth represents “infinite possibilities”.
- It is an analytics-enabled omnichannel multi-branded loyalty platform. It allows users to earn “nth” (infinite) loyalty points through various bank transactions.
- These rewards point can be redeemed for various purposes including online shopping.
- Customers will earn loyalty points on almost every transaction made digitally, especially while using the credit and debit cards.
- ‘nth Rewards’ platform has a smart dashboard for users where they can see their points accumulation.
“Chhattisgarh Govt launches ‘Indira Van Mitan’ scheme”
- Aiming to make the forest dwellers in Chhattisgarh self-reliant, Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel on Sunday announced the launch of Indira Van Mitan Yojana on the occasion of World Tribal Day.
- He said that under this scheme, groups of youth will be formed in 10,000 villages of tribal area of the state and all forest-based economic activities will be conducted through these groups.
- New doors will open for self-employment and prosperity of the forest dwellers through these groups.
- Under this scheme, arrangements for procurement, processing and marketing of forest produce will be ensured through groups.
- The government has set a target of establishing forest produce processing centres in every tribal development block of the state.
Source: Business World
“IIT Kanpur develops indigenous seed balls titled ‘BEEG’”
- In Uttar Pradesh, IIT Kanpur has developed indigenous seed balls named BEEG (Bio -compost Enriched Eco-friendly Globule) which will help people and farmers in plantation with safety in Corona times and will also provide employment to people.
- The BEEG is developed in collaboration with Agnys Waste Management Private Limited (start-up at IIT Kanpur).
- The Seed Balls are comprised of indigenous variety of seeds, compost, and clay.
- There is no need for digging pits for planting saplings.
- These seed walls are to be thrown at aimed places and they will germinate when come into contact with water.
Source: News On Air
“Bihar Pollution Control Board signs agreement with IIT Delhi for GIS”
- The Bihar State Pollution Control Board has signed a ”Memorandum of Agreement” (MoA) with IIT, Delhi for setting up of geographical information system (GIS) based platform for air quality management in the state.
- The signed agreement will help in identifying sources and transport of PM 2.5 at a “very high resolution” and help the board to identify “effective mitigation measures”
- This particular project will help to identify local hot spot of particulate matter PM 2.5 in the non-attainment cities in Bihar namely Patna, Gaya and Muzaffarpur.
- IIT, Delhi Associate Professor, Centre for Atmospheric Sciences, Dr Sagnik Dey will be leading the project with his counterpart S N Jayaswal of Bihar State Pollution Control Board, Patna.
- This study will prove to be a crucial step in identifying sources and transport of PM 2.5 at a very high resolution which will help the board to identify effective mitigation measures.
Source: Outlook India
“Harsh Bhanwala appointed as Exe-Chairman of Capital India Finance Ltd.”
- Financial services platform Capital India Finance Ltd has appointed former head of NABARD, Harsh Kumar Bhanwala, as Executive Chairman of the company.
- Prior to this, Bhanwala was chairman of National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) for over six years.
- Bhanwala was appointed as the chairman NABARD in December 2013 and demitted the office on May 26, 2020.
“FM inaugurates National Infrastructure Pipeline Online Dashboard”
- The online dashboard is envisaged as a one stop solution for all stakeholders looking for information on infrastructure projects in New India.
- The dashboard is being hosted on the website of India Investment Grid. IIG is an interactive and dynamic online platform that showcases d and real-time investment opportunities in the country.
- Speaking at the event, FM said, NIP will provide a boost to the vision of an Aatma Nirbhar Bharat.
- She said, the availability of NIP projects on IIG will ensure easy accessibility to d project information and attract investors for PPP projects.
Source: DD News
“Vice President lays foundation stone for RS employees housing complex”
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu laid the foundation stone of a Rs. 46 crore housing complex for Rajya Sabha employees at R K Puram in New Delhi.
- The land was allotted for the project as early as in 2003.
- In his address, Mr Naidu expressed concern over the delay in the project saying the long period of 17 years taken for launching the housing project resulted in avoidable costs for the Rajya Sabha Secretariat.
- Referring to the huge annual rent of 30 crore being paid by the secretariat for locating RSTV in the NDMC Complex, he said relocation of the channel to R K Puram would have also benefitted substantially.
- Noting that provisioning of housing close to work place motivates employees to give their best, Mr Naidu expressed concern over inadequate housing facility for employees of the Rajya Sabha Secretariat given their long and arduous working hours, particularly, when the House is in session.
Source: News On Air
“Union Minister Inaugurated Railway Museum at Hubli, Karnataka”
- Minister of Railways and Commerce and Industry Piyush Goyal and Minister of Parliamentary Affairs, Coal and Mines Pralhad Joshi on Sunday dedicated Railway Museum at Hubli through video conferencing.
- The event was presided over by Minister of State of Railways, Suresh C Angadi and was attended by other dignitaries and senior officials.
- This Rail Museum is first of its kind in North Karnataka and second in South Western Railway after historic Mysuru Rail Museum at Mysuru.
- The museum will help in sensitizing society about shared history and culture.
Source: Business World