Daily GK Update: 10th March 2020
Anti-HIV drugs given to COVID-19-affected Italian couple in Jaipur
- The combination along with other drugs has been used in clinical trials in China.
- Amid rising COVID-19 cases in India, for the first time a combination of two drugs, which is widely used for controlling HIV infection, was administered on an elderly Italian couple undergoing treatment at a Jaipur hospital for it.
- The Drug Controller General of India has approved “restricted use” of the combination of medications lopinavir and ritonavir which are second-line HIV drugs, for treatment after the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) sought an emergency approval.
Source: The Hindu
Coronavirus could shrink global FDI by 5% to 15%
- The coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak could cause global foreign direct investment (FDI) to shrink by 5%-15%, according to an UNCTAD report published on 8 March.
- The UN trade body had projected earlier a stable level of global FDI inflows in 2020-2021 with a potential increase of 5%. Now it warns that flows may hit their lowest levels since the 2008-2009 financial crisis, should the epidemic continue throughout the year.
Source: United Nations Conference
PM to attend the 50th Raising Day Ceremony of CISF on 10th March 2019
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, will attend the 50th Raising Day ceremony of Central Industrial Security Forces(CISF), at Ghaziabad, on March 10, 2019.
- In an event organized at the 5th Battalion Camp at Indirapuram in Ghaziabad, the Prime Minister will review the parade of the Central Industrial Security Forces. He will present the Police and Fire Service Medals for distinguished and meritorious services.
- The Prime Minister will lay wreath at the Martyr’s Memorial. He will later address the CISF personnel.
Source: Narendra Modi.in
Surat diamond industry hit by coronavirus, suffers loss of Rs 600 crore in Jan
- Surat has the highest number of diamond polishers – around 5 lakh work in around 4,500, small, medium and big diamond factories. (File photo)
The Surat diamond industry has faced a loss of around Rs 600 crore in January this year as the major export destinations such as the United States, Hong Kong and China are grappling with coronavirus outbreak.
- Surat has the highest number of diamond polishers – around 5 lakh work in around 4,500, small, medium and big diamond factories.
India is world’s second-largest arms importer
- India was the world’s second-largest arms importer from 2014-18, ceding the long-held tag as largest importer to Saudi Arabia, which accounted for 12% of the total imports during the period.
- “India was the world’s second largest importer of major arms in 2014–18 and accounted for 9.5% of the global total,” according to the latest report published by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) on Monday.
Source: The Hindu