Daily GK Update: 10th January 2020
Govt reviews IEA report on India’s energy policies
- An in-depth review of a report on India’s energy policies by the International Energy Agency (IEA) was launched in New Delhi on Friday.
- Dharmendra Pradhan, Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Steel, Pralhad Joshi, Minister of Coal, Mines and Parliamentary Affairs, Raj Kumar Singh, Minister of State (I/C) for Power and New and Renewable Energy, Rajiv Kumar, Fatih Birol, Executive Director, International Energy Agency, and Amitabh Kant, CEO, Niti Aayog were present on the occasion.
Source: Energy World
India deploys aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya in Arabian Sea amid China-Pakistan naval drill
- India has deployed its aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya in the Arabian Sea at a time China and Pakistan are holding a nine-day mega naval exercise in the region, a move seen as New Delhi sending a clear signal to its two neighbours.
- Top officials of the Naval headquarters were on board the aircraft carrier when it was deployed in the strategic mission earlier this week, military sources told PTI.
- Pakistan and China on Monday launched a major drill in the North Arabian Sea with an aim to increase inter-operability and strategic cooperation between their two navies.
Source: The Economic Times
World Hindi day celebrated on January 10, 2020
- To mark the occasion, Indian Embassies located in other countries & Various government and non-government institutions organized special programs.
- The 1st World Hindi Conference was organized on 10 January 1975 in Nagpur,Maharashtra by then Prime Minister (PM) Indira Gandhi. It was attended by 122 delegates from 30 countries.The day was 1st celebrated in 2006. Since then every year 10th January is being observed as the WHD.
- In the year 2017, The most famous English dictionary ‘Oxford’ also includes many Hindi words Bada Din’, (big day) ‘Acha’, (Good) ‘Bacha’ (Child) and ‘Surya Namaskar’ ‘good’, ‘big day’, ‘baby’, ‘Surya Namaskar’.
- While, ‘National Hindi Day’/ Hindi Divas is being celebrated on September 14 every year to promote Hindi across India. On 14 September 1949, the constituent assembly adopted Hindi written in Devanagari script as the Official Language of the Union.
GAIC to sell water soluble fertilisers imported from China
- The Gujarat Agro Industries Corporation (GAIC) has imported 300 metric tonnes (MT) of water soluble fertilisers from China, which it will be selling to farmers in Gujarat, said Managing Director of GAIC, KS Randhawa, on Thursday.
- GAIC Chairman and BJP MLA Madhu Shrivastav launched six different grades of imported water soluble fertilisers at a formal event in Ahmedabad. “This is a test launch and we will be scaling up to as high as 3,000 MT depending on the response from farmers. We will be learning in the process,” he said.
Source: The Indian Express
Andhra Pradesh CM Jagan Mohan Reddy Launches ‘Amma Vodi’ Scheme, All You Need to Know
- The Andhra Pradesh government on Thursday launched the ‘Amma Vodi’ scheme. Mothers and guardians of school-going children from lower income groups will get financial assistance of Rs 15,000 annually under the scheme.
- Andhra Pradesh chief minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy launched the scheme, which was a key poll promise of his party YSRCP. Amma Vodi translates to ‘mother’s lap’ in Telugu.
- The scheme will be implemented from January 26, 2020 (Republic Day). Under Amma Vodi, the mothers of school-going children will receive an annual financial assistance of Rs 15,000 per year.
Source: News 18
3 colonial structures restored in Kolkata; PM to do the re-dedication
Kolkata’s three iconic colonial buildings, the Currency Building, Metcalfe Hall and Belvedere House, which have been suffering from negligence for a long time, have now been completely resorted. Soon, these three structures will be turned into ‘vibrant cultural spaces’ in Kolkata. Indian PM Narendra Modi will re-dedicate these buildings to the people of Kolkata later this week in a function.
Source: Times Travel
Access to Internet is a fundamental right, rules Supreme Court
- In a significant ruling, the Supreme Court on Friday said that access to the Internet is a fundamental right under Article 19 of the Constitution, and asked the Jammu and Kashmir administration to review within a week all orders imposing curbs in the Union Territory.
- A five-judge bench headed by Justice NV Ramana also asked the Jammu and Kashmir administration to restore Internet services in institutions providing essential services like hospitals and educational places.
Source: Business Line
January 9: Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) is celebrated on 9th January every year to mark the contribution of Overseas Indian community in the development of India.
- January 9 was chosen as the day to celebrate this occasion since it was on this day in 1915 that Mahatma Gandhi, the greatest Pravasi, returned to India from South Africa, led India’s freedom struggle and changed the lives of Indians forever.
- PBD conventions are being held every year since 2003. These conventions provide a platform to the overseas Indian community to engage with the government and people of the land of their ancestors for mutually beneficial activities. These conventions are also very useful in networking among the overseas Indian community residing in various parts of the world and enable them to share their experiences in various fields.
Source: Ministry of External Affairs
India-Germany sign MoU on Zero Budget Natural Farming
- On January 9, 2020, the Andhra Pradesh Government signed Memorandum of Understanding with a German firm to implement Zero Budget Natural Farming in the state.
- The Government of India is promoting ZBNF through Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana and Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana since 2015-16.
- 2018, more than 1.6 lalkh farmers are practicing Zero Budget Natural Farming in over 1000 villages.
Source: The World Monitor