Current Affairs Quiz: 8th November 2020
“PM Modi flags off Ro-Pax ferry service between Hazira-Ghogha in Gujarat.”
- Prime Minister Modi on November 8, 2020, virtually inaugurated Ro-Pax ferry service between Hazira in Surat region of South Gujarat and Ghogha in Bhavanagar of Saurashtra, Gujarat.
- He also inaugurated the Ro-Pax terminal at Hazira marking a big step towards the vision of mobilizing the waterways and incorporating them with the economic development of India.
- The ferry service will reduce the distance between Ghogha and Hazira from 370 kms to just 90 kms. The ferry service will benefit the people from Saurashtra who have been working in Surat, major way as the distance which use to be 10 to 12 hours will now only be 3 to 4 hours.
- The reduced cargo travel time will also result in huge fuel savings which are approx. 9000 litres per day leading to the reduction in CO2 emission by approx. 24 million tonnes per day.
- The newly inaugurated ferry service will make 3 round trips every day on the Hazira-Ghogha route. It will annually transport about 80 thousand passenger vehicles, 5 lakh passengers, 30 thousand trucks, and 50 thousand two-wheelers.
Source: Jagran Josh
“Kamala Harris becomes first female, Black and Asian-American Vice President-elect of US.”
- Kamala Harris has made history by becoming the first female, Black and Asian American Vice President-elect of the United States. She will be the first woman ever to hold the office.
- Kamala Harris will also be the nation’s first Black and Asian American vice president-elect in history. The 56-year-old was born to immigrant parents from India and Jamaica.
- Harris’ victory was officially announced by the US media houses, on November 7, 2020 after they declared Joe Biden the winner of the US Presidential Elections 2020 after his lead broadened in the key battleground states of Georgia, Pennsylvania and Arizona.
Source: Jagran Josh
“Joe Biden Wins US Presidency After Bitter Contest With Trump.”
- Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. has defeated Donald Trump to become the 46th U.S. president, unseating the incumbent with a pledge to unify and mend a nation reeling from a worsening pandemic, faltering economy and deep political divisions.
- Biden, 77, will become the oldest president-elect in U.S. history and the first to oust a sitting commander-in-chief after one term since Bill Clinton defeated George H.W. Bush in 1992.
- Biden won 284 Electoral College votes, according to the AP, which earlier had called Arizona for the Democrat. Several other networks have yet to call Arizona, leaving Biden with 273 Electoral College votes in their counts, still plenty to claim the presidency.
- Biden won back the battleground states of Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania — the so-called Blue Wall that delivered the presidency to Trump in 2016. Buoyed by historic turnout, Biden reaped 4 million more votes than Trump nationwide, as of Saturday morning, winning at least 74 million votes to Trump’s 70 million.
“Biocon Biologics gets Rs 1,125 cr capital infusion from Goldman Sachs.”
- Biocon said its subsidiary Biocon Biologics has approved a Rs 1,125 crore investment from Goldman Sachs.
- This capital injection by Goldman Sachs will enable Biocon Biologics to make prudent investments in R&D, high-quality manufacturing, as well as, establish a global commercial footprint.
- The board of Biocon Biologics has approved a Rs 1,125 crore (USD 150 million) capital injection from Goldman Sachs, Biocon said in a statement.
- As per the terms of the proposed agreement, Goldman Sachs will be issued Optionally Convertible Debentures at a post money equity valuation of USD 3.94 billion, it added.
Source: Economic Times
“World Radiography Day 2020.”
- International Day of Radiology is observed on 8 November every year to mark the anniversary of the discovery of X-radiation. It has completed 125 years in the year 2020.
- In 1895, on this day, Xergil, the professor of physics at Warburg University in Germany, discovered X-radiation. This is why radiographers from all over the world celebrate this day as the anniversary of the discovery of X-radiation throughout the world.
- This day raises awareness aboiut radiology, thw way it contributes to safe and patient care and understanding the crucial role that radiologists and radiological technologists play in healthcare. X-rays, MRI scans, ultrasounds, etc. technologies help in finding health-related problems by providing an eye-catching image.
“NSDC launches ‘Project Future Ready’ to impart career skills to 1 lakh students.”
- The National Skill Development Corporation(NSDC) in partnership with American India Foundation, Dell Technologies and University of Mumbai has launched ‘Project Future Ready’ to equip students with career skills.
- The project is set to impact over 1 lakh students in Mumbai and Delhi-NCR, of which 60 per cent are females.
- The project aims to provide skills development for these students through career mentoring, leveraging online skilling platforms and providing market aligned skills training for employability and inculcating entrepreneurial mind-set.
- On completion of the program, the students will receive a certification from NSDC and University of Mumbai.
- Dell Technologies India President and Managing Director Alok Ohrie said, “With ‘Project Future Ready’, we want to encourage students to enhance their skillsets, be future job-creators and contribute towards a brighter and a prosperous India.”
Source: Economic Times
“First plane with Israeli tourists lands in UAE after deal.”
- The first flight carrying Israeli tourists to the United Arab Emirates landed in the city-state of Dubai, the latest sign of the normalization deal reached between the two nations.
- FlyDubai flight No. FZ8194 landed at Dubai International Airport just after 5:40 p.m., bringing the tourists to the skyscraper-studded city after a roughly three-hour trip. The low-cost carrier had sent one of its Boeing 737s to Ben-Gurion International Airport in Tel Aviv earlier Sunday morning to pick up the passengers.
- The flight flew across Saudi Arabia and then over the waters of the Persian Gulf to reach the UAE, a federation of seven sheikhdoms also home to Abu Dhabi.
- The arrival of tourists comes as Dubai in particular tries to revive its vital tourism industry amid the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic. The UAE and Israel have agreed to launch regular commercial flights between their countries soon, while other recent flights have carried business and governmental delegations.
Source: Indian Express
“Malayalam author S Hareesh wins the JCB Prize for Literature 2020.”
- The winner of the JCB Prize for Literature 2020 has been announced. And this years S Hareesh has won for his novel,Moustache which been translated into English by Jayasree Kalathil and published by HarperCollins India.
- The winner was announced by Lord Bamford, Chairman, in a virtual awards ceremony. The book was chosen among the five books in the shortlist which consisted of Djinn Patrol on the Purple Lineby Deepa Anappara, Chosen Spirits by Samit Basu, Prelude to a Riot by Annie Zaidi and These, Our Bodies, Possessed by Light by Dharini Bhaskar.
- The JCB Prize for Literature is regarded as the richest literary prize in India. As per the norm, the Malayalam author will receive a ₹25 lakh cash prize and the translator will receive an additional ₹10 lakh.
Source: Indian Express
“PM Narendra Modi to initiate projects worth Rs 614cr in Varanasi.”
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate and lay the foundation of 30 projects worth Rs 614 crore in Varanasi via video conference on Monday, a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader said.
- Kashi region BJP president Mahesh Chandra Srivastava reiterated that PM Modi will inaugurate 16 schemes worth over Rs 219 crore and lay the foundation of 14 projects worth over Rs 394 crore.
- Srivastava said the transformation taking place in Kashi since 2014 was visible on the ground, adding that there was a big difference between the Varanasi of 2020 and the situation in the city pre-2014.
- Six places have been selected for the live telecast of Monday’s programme in the city. Locals and party workers will join the event at the Circuit House, Dashashwamedh Ghat, Shool Tankeshwar Temple, Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport and Trade Facilitation Centre.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Hornbill Festival 2020: Nagaland to host the festival virtually.”
- Nagaland Tourism Department has informed that the state government decided to celebrate the Hornbill Festival 2020 in a complete virtual mode only through various audio visual media channels and Social Media platforms.
- The content for the virtual festival will be sourced from Government archives.
- Dubbed as the “Festival of Festivals”, the Hornbill Festival is celebrated every year from December 1 to 10, showcasing the rich cultural heritage and tradition of the Nagas in one platform at Naga Heritage Village Kisama under Kohima District.
Source: DD News