Current Affairs Quiz: 20th November 2020
“World Children’s Day 2020 observed today.”
- World Children’s Day is being celebrated today, November 20. It was first celebrated in 1954 as Universal Children’s Day to promote international togetherness and awareness among children worldwide, and for improving children’s welfare.
- In 1959, the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Declaration of the Rights of the child on November 20. In 1989, the UN General assembly adopted the Convention on the Rights of the child on this date.
- Since 1990, World Children’s Day marks the anniversary of the date when the UN General Assembly adopted a Declaration and Convention on children’s rights.
- World Children’s Day is UNICEF’s annual day of action for children, by children. The COVID-19 crisis has resulted in a child rights crisis in the world.
- Countries across the world celebrate children’s day on different dates. In India, it is celebrated on November 14, to mark the birth anniversary of the country’s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru.
“Booker Prize 2020: Douglas Stuart wins UK Booker Prize for debut novel Shuggie Bain.”
- British writer Douglas Stuart has won the UK’s Booker Prize for his first debut novel Shuggie Bain. The autobiographical novel was one of four debut books in this year’s shortlist.
- The UK Booker Prize winner was announced at a live-streamed ceremony in London on November 19, 2020 that saw participation by Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall and former US President Barack Obama.
- One of the judges on the judging panel, Margaret Busby said that Shuggie Bain was destined to be a classic. She called it an intimate, gripping and daring read. The novel is about a lonely gay son of an alcoholic mother coming of age in 1980s Glasgow, Scotland.
- Douglas Stuart was the only British author on the US-dominated list of six finalists of Booker Prize 2020. One Indian-origin American author also featured in the list.
Source: Jagran Josh
“PM Modi and Bhutan’s PM virtually launches RuPay Card Phase-2, lauds PM Modi’s leadership in tackling pandemic.”
- Prime Minister Modi and Bhutan’s Prime Minister, Lotay Tshering on November 20, 2020, virtually launched RuPay Card Phase- II in Bhutan. During the launch, PM Modi noted that the launch of Phase-2 RuPay Card will boost the ties between the two countries.
- The RuPay Card Phase-2 has been launched in Bhutan by the two PMs who had also earlier launched Phase-1 of the project during Prime Minister Modi’s visit to Bhutan in August 2019.
- RuPay Card is an Indian credit and debit card payment network, which has acceptance at POS devices, ATMs, and e-commerce websites. With the launch of Phase 2 of RuPay Card, Bhutanese Card Holders will be able to easily access the RuPay network in India.
- Prime Minister of Bhutan, Lotay Tshering admired Prime Minister Modi’s leadership in tackling the pandemic at home. He also assured that India will come out much stronger from the Pandemic and the lead that India has taken in developing vaccines is a source of hope for everyone.
Source: Jagran Josh
“Prime Minister Modi to lay the foundation stone of rural drinking water projects in UP on November 22.”
- Prime Minister Modi on November 22, 2020, will lay the foundation stone of rural drinking water projects via video conferencing in Sonbhadra and Mirzapur districts in Vindhyachal, Uttar Pradesh.
- According to the statement released by the Prime Minister’s Office, PM Modi, during the event, will also be interacting with the village water and sanitation committee members. The Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Yogi Adityanath will also be present at the event.
- The rural drinking water projects will provide the functional household tap water connections in all the rural households of 2,995 villages and will be benefitting about 42 lakh population of Sonbhadra and Mirzapur districts of Uttar Pradesh.
- The total estimated cost of the water projects is Rs.5,555.38 crores and they are planned to be completed in 24 months.
- The announced rural drinking water projects are part of Jal Jeevan Mission which was announced by PM Modi on August 15, 2019.
Source: Jagran Josh
“Defence Minister Rajnath Singh unveils two books.”
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh today unveiled two books ‘The Republican Ethic Volume III’ and ‘Loktantra Ke Swar’ which are collection of selected speeches of President Ram Nath Kovind during the third year of his presidency.
- Mr Javadekar said President Kovind has given many inspiring speeches on various topics. He said, all the speeches in this book reflect on the self-confidence on this country. He said, this book comprises speeches on the country’s efforts to fight COVID19, where India is faring much better than other countries, to bravely defending its borders. He added that the book is a reference manual for all.
- Speaking about the book, the Defence Minister said this compilation of speeches of President Kovind presents a comprehensive picture of his work, personality and values. He added that in these speeches, the preferences of a sensitive and idealistic public servant can be seen.
- He said that the President considers public service the ultimate religion which is evident in his many speeches. Mr Rajnath Singh stated that the President’s speeches depict his concern towards issues such as girls education, empowerment of women, and welfare of the weaker sections .
Source: News on Air
“Vijayanagara to become Karnataka’s 31st district, Cabinet gives Approval.”
- The Karnataka cabinet gave in principle approval for the creation of Vijayanagara as the state’s 31st district, carving it out from the mine-rich Ballari.
- The cabinet has in principle agreed for the creation of Vijayanagara district, he told reporters.
- Minister for Forest and Ballari district in-charge Anand Singh, who anchored the efforts for the new district, said the demand for it was long-standing.
- The decision has been arrived at by ensuring that none was hurt and by taking everyone into confidence, after discussions with senior leaders and legislators from Ballari district including Minister B Sriramulu, he added.
- The government’s plan to create Vijayanagara district had earlier run into opposition, especially from within the ruling BJP, including Sriramulu, MLAs Somashekar Reddy and Karunakara Reddy.
“CAG Murmu elected as External Auditor of Inter Parliamentary Union in Geneva.”
- Comptroller & Auditor General of India Girish Chandra Murmu has been elected as theExternal Auditor of Inter Parliamentary Union (IPU)Geneva for three years.
- GC Murmu will take charge of this position from Supreme Audit Institution of Switzerland. The election took place at the virtual meeting of IPU’s 284th session, which is a 179 countries Parliamentarians body. The IPU also has 13 Associate Members.
- The IPU also has a permanent observer status at the United Nations General Assembly. The IPU is a global inter-parliamentary institution established by France and UK in 1889.
“Petroleum Minister lays foundation stone for the first 50 LNG fueling stations, says 1000 LNG stations will be set up in next three years.”
- Shri Dharmendra Pradhan, Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas and Steel today laid the foundation stone for the first 50 LNG fueling stations, across the golden quadrilateral and major National Highways. This is part of a slew of initiatives of the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas in realizing Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s vision of transforming India into a Gas based economy.
- Government has identified LNG as a transport fuel as a priority area considering the potential of manifold benefits in terms of reducing vehicular pollution, saving in terms of import bill of the country and wide ranging benefits that may accrue to fleet operators, vehicle manufacturers and other entities in the gas sector.
- Shri Pradhan said that a well-thought strategy is being implemented to take the country towards the gas-based economy. In this regard, gas infrastructure is being set up, in terms of laying of pipelines, setting up of terminals, enhancing gas production, introduction of simple and rational tax structure.
- The Minister said that the LNG is not only almost 40% cheaper than diesel but also causes very less pollution. He said that the Government will set up LNG stations at the distance of 200-300 km on golden quadrilateral, and within 3 years, we will have 1000 LNG stations on all major roads, industrial hubs and mining areas. He expressed confidence that 10% of the trucks will adopt LNG as fuel.
“ICC introduces minimum age policy, says player must be 15 years old to play international cricket.”
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) Board announced a minimum age policy for International cricket on November 19, 2020. As per the policy, a player must be at least 15-years-old to play cricket globally.
- The ICC Board stated that the minimum age policy has been introduced for international cricket to improve the safeguarding of players. The policy will apply to all cricketing events including ICC events, bilateral cricket and U19 cricket.
- Now, a player has to be at least 15 years old to be a part of the men’s and women’s cricket team or the under-19 International cricket team.
- The ICC minimum age policy, however, offers an exception in case of exceptional circumstances, under which the concerned cricket board can apply to the International Cricket Council to seek permission for a player under 15 years of age to play for the respective country.
- The exception will be allowed in cases where the member board is able to convince the ICC that the concerned player’s playing experience, mental development and wellbeing demonstrate that he or she would be capable of coping with the demands and pressures of international cricket.
Source: Jagran Josh
“Centre launches Safai Mitra Suraksha Challenge in 243 cities.”
- Union minister Hardeep Singh Puri launched the Safaimitra Suraksha Challenge, aimed to ensure that no person needs to enter a sewer or septic tank, unless absolutely unavoidable in the interest of greater public hygiene.
- The initiative, that promotes mechanized cleaning, also aims to ensure that no life of any sewer or septic tank cleaner is ever lost again owing to the issue of ‘hazardous’ cleaning.
- The virtual event witnessed participation of representatives from 243 cities across the country, coming together to take a pledge to mechanize all sewer and septic tank cleaning operations by 30th April 2021. The initiative was launched on the occasion of World Toilet Day.
- The initiative is in line with PM Modi’s vision, who has always placed the safety and dignity of sanitation workers at the core of the Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban (SBM-U), Puri said during the launch.