Current Affairs Quiz: 18th November 2020
“Asia’s first solar powered Textile Mill to come up in Maharashtra’s Parbhani district.”
- The first solar powered Textile Mill in Asiawill come up in Parbhani district, Maharashtra. The Jai Bhawani women’s cooperative textile mill will become the first Solar Powered textile mill in Asia.
- The Chairman of Jai Bhawani Women cooperative textile mill announced on November 17, 2020 that the mill will soon operate on solar power.
- The mill is located in Maharashtra’s Parbhani district and many women in the district are expected to be given employment under the new project.
- The Jai Bhawani Women cooperative textile mill is spread across 30 acres of land. It will majorly process cotton to cloth.
- The Chairman of the textile mill, Dr. Sampriya Rahul Patil said that the finest quality cotton will be procured from Parbhani itself, as it is a leading cotton producing district in Maharashtra.
Source: Jagran Josh
“PM Narendra Modi to inaugurate Bengaluru Tech Summit 2020 on November 18.”
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be virtually inaugurating the Bengaluru Tech Summit, 2020 at 11 am on November 19, 2020. The summit is scheduled to take place from November 19 to November 21.
- The Bengaluru Tech Summit is being organised by the Karnataka Government along with Karnataka Innovation and Technology Society (KITS). Karnataka government’s Vision Group on Information Technology and Biotechnology & StartUp Software Technology Parks of India (STPI) and MM Activ Sci-Tech Communications are also among the organisers.
- The theme of the Bengaluru Tech Summit 2020 is “Next is Now”.
- The summit will see participation from many prominent international figures including Australia Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Swiss Confederation Vice President Guy Parmelin.
Source: Jagran Josh
“Education Minister virtually launches AICTE’s Lilavati Award-2020.”
- AICTE’s Innovative education program to empower women yesterday. With women empowerment as the theme, the objective of the award is to create awareness about issues like sanitation, hygiene, health, nutrition, literacy, and employment among women.
- Speaking at the event, the Minister emphasized on the necessity to impart quality education to girl child to make them self-reliant, confident and successful. He said that the theme of the award -‘women empowerment’ has always been the top priority of the government.
- Under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Government has launched several welfare schemes for the overall development of girl child and women such as Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana, Beti Bachao Beti Padhao, and CBSE Udaan Scheme.
- The Minister added that with the Lilavati Award-2020, AICTE has once again championed the cause of women empowerment and paved a way towards equality in education and innovation.
Source: News on Air
“Dominic Thiem masters tiebreakers again to beat Rafael Nadal in ATP Finals.”
- Dominic Thiem mastered the tiebreakers again to get the better of Rafael Nadal, beating the 20-time Grand Slam champion in straight sets on Tuesday for a second win at the ATP Finals.
- Thiem clinched a 7-6 (7), 7-6 (4) win on his fifth match point in their first meeting since the Australian Open quarterfinals in January, when the Austrian player prevailed after winning three tiebreakers in a tight four-set match.
- The U.S. Open champion opened group play in the season-ending event with a three-set victory over defending champion Stefanos Tsitsipas, and will be guaranteed qualification for the semifinals if Tsitsipas beats tournament newcomer Andrey Rublev in the evening match.
- Nadal, who beat Rublev in straight sets in their opener, missed a chance to qualify with a match to spare and next will play Tsitsipas on Thursday with a semifinal place at stake.
- Thiem won the first set after coming from 5-2 down in the tiebreaker, saving two set points in the process.
Source: Indian Express
“Madhya Pradesh: Digital museum opens at Maharaj Bada in Gwalior.”
- In Madhya Pradesh, a digital museum has been opened at Maharaj Bada in Gwalior for the public from today. The museum is developed by Gwalior Smart City and entry for the public is being made free for a few days.
- It is the first center of its kind in Gwalior and Bundelkhand area and will play a role in educating school students. In the Digital Museum, the architectural styles, objects, costumes, lifestyle, musical instruments, jewelry, handicrafts, cultural tradition, painting and many genres of paintings have been digitally displayed in a modern way.
- Divided into 16 galleries, Digital Museum has been built in around 3500 square feet area and will play an important role in showcasing heritage in modern and Digital way. Tourists will be able to see the history, instruments, jewelry, handicrafts and other things of Gwalior adorned in various galleries using state-of-the-art IT equipment. The COVID-19 guidelines will be followed in this museum.
Source: News on Air
“India to host U-17 Women’s World Cup 2022, FIFA cancels 2021 edition.”
- The U-17 Women’s World Cup 2021 which was scheduled to take place in India has been canceled by the Bureau of FIFA Council on November 17, 2020, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. However, India has been handed over the hosting rights of its 2022 edition.
- FIFA- International Federation of Association Football has decided to cancel both Women’s U-20 World Cup and U-17 World Cup which were earlier scheduled to be held in Costa Rica and India respectively but the federation has decided that the hosting rights for the 2022 edition will be hosted over to both the countries.
- The President of All India Football Federation (AIFF), Praful Patel informed that the local organizing committee has been preparing themselves to start afresh for hosting the 2022 edition of the U-17 Women’s World Cup 2022.
- FIFA has also announced that the Club World Cup 2020 which was to be held in Qatar in December 2020 will be postponed to February 1 to 11, 2021.
- FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup was originally scheduled to be held in five venues in India from November 2 to November 21, 2020, but it was pushed to February 17 to March 7, 2021, because of the pandemic.
Source: Jagran Josh
“Equitas Small Finance Bank appoints Smriti Mandhana as brand ambassador.”
- Equitas Small Finance Bank has launched a women-centred product ‘Eva’.
- The Bank has roped in Indian Woman cricketer Smriti Mandhana as the brand ambassador for its newly launched product ‘EVA’.
- Eva is unique savings account for women to address the well-being of Indian women in every aspect such as health, wealth and prosperity.
- ”Eva” savings account for women offers 7 per cent interest.
“Madhya Pradesh to set up ‘gau cabinet’ for cow protection.”
- Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan said the government had decided to set up a ‘Gau Cabinet’ for the protection and promotion of cattle.
- In a statement issued by his office, Mr. Chouhan said the Animal Husbandry, Forest, Panchayat and Rural Development, Revenue, Home and Farmers’ Welfare Departments would be part of the Cabinet. The first meeting would be held on November 22 in Agar Malwa district.
- The Cabinet would ensure the protection of ‘gau mata’, said Kamal Patel, Agriculture Minister. “The Chief Minister has prioritised their protection. So 4,000 cow shelters will be set up this year,” he added.
- Former Chief Minister Kamal Nath accused Mr. Chouhan of making a new announcement while forgetting his promise ahead of the 2018 Vidhan Sabha election of setting up a cow Ministry instead.
- “Everyone knows in their 15-year previous government and the eight-month present government, Mr. Chouhan has done nothing for the protection and promotion of cows. Rather, he has reduced the allocation of ₹20 for fodder for each cow that the Congress government had set,” he said.
Source: The Hindu
“PM Modi to address 3rd Annual Bloomberg New Economy Forum.”
- Prime minister Narendra Modi will deliver an address at the third Annual Bloomberg New Economy Forum.
- Established in 2018 by Michael Bloomberg, the Bloomberg New Economy Forum seeks to build a community of leaders to engage in discussions leading to actionable solutions about the critical challenges facing a world economy.
- This year, the forum will witness conversations centered on refueling the economy and charting a course for the future, in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic, the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) said.
- The inaugural forum was held in Singapore, followed by a second edition in Beijing, covering issues such as global economic management, trade and investment, technology, urbanisation, capital markets, climate change and inclusion.
Source: Hindustan Times
“England to tour Pakistan for first time in 16 years.”
- The England team will make their first visit to Pakistan in 2021, for the first time in 16 years. This was confirmed by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).
- The ECB confirmed the tour on November 17, 2020 following an invite by the PCB for a short tour in 2021.
- Pakistan will be hosting host England for two T20Is in Karachi on October 14 and 15, 2021 ahead of the ICC T20 World Cup in India. England’s team will arrive in Karachi on October 12 and both teams will depart for India on October 16 for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup at the end of the series.
- England had last toured Pakistan in 2005 when they had played five ODIs and three Tests. The subsequent series between the two teams was held in the United Arab Emirates in 2012 and 2015.
Source: Jagran Josh